Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Latest additions to the site:

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh gee, just a few new things to mention I know many of you are busy playing word games, or working on your opus for the LitNet 2007 Short Story Competition, maybe back at your studies from spring break? or maybe you have a lovely winter cold, or maybe recovering from pneumonia like me but I'm sure you'll enjoy perusing the new titles on the site

--

Charles Dickens' Reprinted Pieces and his semi-autobiographical The Uncommercial Traveller are now on the site.

--

Many more Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels have been added including The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, The Great Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales, Tales of Horror and Mystery, Micah Clarke, and The Poison Belt as well as many of his poems and short stories. Yes! he wrote poetry!

--

If you like gory tales of 'justice' and torture you'll enjoy Alexander Dumas' Celebrated Crimes which includes his historical accounts of events surrounding the crimes of the famous Borgias and the execution of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots.

--

If you've got a hankering for some voyeuristic reading, The George Sand-Gustave Flaubert Letters are now on the site.

"[Sand] shows an unguessed wealth of maternal virtue, swift, comprehending sympathy, fortitude, sunny resignation, and a goodness of heart that has ripened into wisdom. For Flaubert, too, though he was seventeen years her junior, the flamboyance of youth was long since past; in 1862, when the correspondence begins, he was firmly settled, a shy, proud, grumpy toiling hermit of forty, in his family seat at Croisset....he pours out his bitterness, she her consolation; and so with equal candor of self-revelation they beautifully draw out and strengthen each the other's characteristics, and help one another grow old."

--

R. D. Blackmore's Eremia, Mary Anerly, and Springhaven : A Tale of the Great War are now on the site.

--

Dostoevsky's haunting doppelgänger tale The Double: A Petersburg Poem is now added.

--

Lev Tolstoy's novels Albert and Hadji Murad are now on the site, thanks baz

--

More Russian lit: Ivan S. Turgenev's most famous and overdue-to-be-added novel Father's and Sons, with nihilists Bazarov and Arkady is now on the site as well as Liza: A Nest of Nobles, A Sportsman's Sketches, First Love, and his tale of duels and unrequited love, Torrents of Spring (which also inspired a film adaptation).

--

Back to England: Thomas Hardy's drama The Dynasts is now on the site, more of his short stories, and his novels The Trumpet Major and Under the Greenwood Tree. More of his prodigious collections of poetry have been added: Wessex Poems and Other Verses and his epic 160 poetical pieces collected in Moments of Vision.

--

T. S. Eliot's extensive critical essay Ezra Pound: His Metric and Poetry can now be read here.

--

More important and influential works long due to be on the site John Dryden's Poetical Works Volumes I and II are now on the site. Vol I includes "Heroic Stanzas on the death of Oliver Cromwell", "Astræa Redux", his epic 304 -stanza "Annus Mirabilis" and "The Hind and the Panther". Vol II includes his famous Epistles; Elegies and Epitaphs; Songs, Odes, and a Masque; Prologues and Epilogues; and Tales from Chaucer.

--

That Tarzan guy, Edgar Rice Burroughs' Oakdale Affair and The Mad King are now on the site

--

Outspoken African American lawyer, reformer, critic, and author Charles W. Chesnutt's 1903 essay "The Disfranchisement of the Negro", biography of fellow author Frederick Douglass and novels including The Conjure Woman and his fictional account of the Wilmington Race Riot The Marrow of Tradition are now on the site.

--

Another social reformer, critic and author Charlotte Perkins Gilman's Our Androcentric Culture has now been added.

--

Certainly no one-hit wonder, to Anatole France's page which only contained The Red Lily more works have been added including his fabulous satire of human nature and France's history, Penguin Island. Thaïs, The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard and A Mummer's Tale are also on the site now.

--

And last but not least . . . while D. H. Lawrence warns, in his Foreword to his collection of essays Fantasia of the Unconscious: "The generality of readers had better just leave it alone. The generality of critics likewise. I really don't want to convince anybody. It is quite in opposition to my whole nature. I don't intend my books for the generality of readers. I count it a mistake of our mistaken democracy, that every man who can read print is allowed to believe that he can read all that is printed. I count it a misfortune that serious books are exposed in the public market, like slaves exposed naked for sale. But there we are, since we live in an age of mistaken democracy, we must go through with it." is on the site now if you wish to "rip the old veil of a vision across, and find what the heart really believes in, after all" and take the leap into the abyss

--

Fin

--
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Blog Entries
    Great stuff Logos. I didn't know you were interested in putting critical essays on there too. If I come across any that meets the copywright requirement, I'll pass it on to you.

Here's a request, if you can get a hold of them electronically: D.H. Lawrence's Complete Short Stories.

Also, sorry to hear about your pneumonia. Please take care of it. It can be life threatening.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

X (or) Y=X and Y=-X Jean-Baptiste's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    These are all very exciting additions, Logos. Somebody's been busy! Thank you!
    These fragments I have shored against my ruins

James Joyce, the pirate. Why don't you write books people can read? -Nora Barnacle

Insupportable claim: Reading my stories will make you a better person. Do your best to prove me right. http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=20367

Blog Entries
    Logos hope you fully recovered from pneumonia. Was impressed with the Doyle additions. Now if you could Rafael Sabatini on board here one of my hobby horses can be put out to pasture.

Blog Entries
    Holy smokes lots of new additions.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys I've been feeling a bit better every day. Virgil yes that essay is a gem, Ezra himself is on the list to be added. And Sabatini is on the list too mtpspur

Blog Entries
    You do realize that I'm self congratulating me for getting Sabatini on the list. Don't feed the animals at the zoo. Now just how does this 'list' work anyway--one week, 3 months, next year?!! Nag Nag Nag.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post

More Russian lit: Ivan S. Turgenev's most famous and overdue-to-be-added novel Father's and Sons, with nihilists Bazarov and Arkady is now on the site as well as Liza: A Nest of Nobles, A Sportsman's Sketches, First Love, and his tale of duels and unrequited love, Torrents of Spring (which also inspired a film adaptation).

--
    Actually, he wasn't nihilist.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    I meant just Arkady

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I meant just Arkady
    He is definitely not a nihilist I am not joking, I know it might sound strange, but when you read the book, you'll see what I am talking.
    Great additions once again, congratulations!
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    Thanks Logos!

I'm in the porcess of writing a paper on Eliot...the essay on Exra Pound (I had not heard of this essay before) is proving quite useful
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    He is definitely not a nihilist
    shhhh don't want to give tooo much away

Glad that essay is a help Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    Thanks Logos!

I'm in the porcess of writing a paper on Eliot...the essay on Exra Pound (I had not heard of this essay before) is proving quite useful
    LOL Extra Pound? Extra Pound of what?
    Well, I have a few ideas.
    "Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents."

- Feste, Twelfth Night

"...till human voices wake us and we drown."

- Eliot

Blog Entries
    Additions since my last post

More of Upton Sinclair's novels have been added:

The Moneychangers,
    Love's Pilgrimage,
    The Journal of Arthur Stirling,
    Jimmie Higgins,
    King Coal and
    King Midas.

-

Due to the unwavering enthusiasm of our dear member Niamh, a selection of Irish playwright, author, and poet J. M. Synge's Poems has been added

-

More works by Sir Walter Scott have been added:
    his epic poem Marmion
    Peveril of the Peak,
    Letters On Demonology And Witchcraft and his
    Journal written over the last 8 years before his death.

-

Christopher Marlowe's play Edward the Second is now on the site.

-

Vicar of Wakefield author Oliver Goldsmith wrote a great History of Rome

-

Henrik Ibsen's
    Early Plays includes Catiline, The Warrior's Barrow and Olaf Liljekrans.

-

Satirist Henry B. Fuller's Under the Skylights is now on the site.

-

Poet Laureate Lord Alfred Tennyson also wrote plays including Becket .

-

You can now test your knowledge of Anna Sewell and her only novel Black Beauty in this Quiz!

-

Sunchrislit1 submitted a quiz based on G. A. Henty's In Freedom's Cause: you can take it here.

-

Turquoisetiger's quiz based on Victor Hugo's Les Miserables can be found here.

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Oooh, Logos, you must be indefatigable .
    Thank you very much .
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast