Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't help me reach 1000 posts.

Blog Entries

Please don't help me reach 1000 posts.

Hi guys. I just wanted to comment on these 'reach 1000 posts' threads that are springing up all over the place now. Why do we come to Lit-Net? We come here to read about... literature! (For the most part), post our own writings, and read and critique the works of both our fellow writers on the forums, and to read and analyze the works of classic authors and poets.

How much more satisfying would if be if you went and posted 500 messages in the 'Short Story' section, seiving out the good works, helping others out with their stories (I see so many with very few or no comments, it's a discouragement to posting in there), or if you went to the philosophy forum and joined in a debate you feel passionate about?

Why are your posts that are in reply to 'What is your favourite color' considered valid? Why are you proud of those posts?

I think General Chat and the games forum both have their place, to relax, chill out and just chat. But don't post just for the sake of posting...

(I'm terribly sorry if this is innapropriate.)
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Blog Entries
    What Are You Crazy!!!

I have to admit I'm guilty, I was 28 of being 10,0000. Although it did take me 5 years to get to that point.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Becca, thank you very much for bringing this up.

I understand and respect that you come to the Forum for some kind of intellectual stimulus; however, that is not the same for all of us. There are many people (including myself) who come to the Forum to get away from the daily hubbub because, again speaking from my own point of view, I feel mentally exhausted by the time I get home at night. So, I do not mind discussing my favorite colour, the weather or what to cook that night; neither do I mind pretending to be a pirate or to be at a party for a few posts, posting just for sake of it at times.

I would like to think that all these posts are part of our Forum personas. We don't always talk about philosophy or books in real life; why are we expected to do it here? And since there is no "post-value-meter", we cannot tell which posts are more "valuable" than the others, can we?

I also understand your worries that if attempts such as this can lead to mindless posting. However, so far this has not happened. No one, so far, has flooded the Forum with their posts trying to reach their "goal" or behaved like a troll. So, until this happens, we will try to respect those members' rights to discuss their favorite colours or post in the "less serious" sections of the Forum as often as they would like.

Meanwhile, anyone who does not like such threads/posts or anyone who does not find such threads worthy of their attention can always ignore them.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I commend you for trying, Becca.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Becca, thank you very much for bringing this up.

I understand and respect that you come to the Forum for some kind of intellectual stimulus; however, that is not the same for all of us. There are many people (including myself) who come to the Forum to get away from the daily hubbub because, again speaking from my own point of view, I feel mentally exhausted by the time I get home at night. So, I do not mind discussing my favorite colour, the weather or what to cook that night; neither do I mind pretending to be a pirate or to be at a party for a few posts, posting just for sake of it at times.

I would like to think that all these posts are part of our Forum personas. We don't always talk about philosophy or books in real life; why are we expected to do it here? And since there is no "post-value-meter", we cannot tell which posts are more "valuable" than the others, can we?

I also understand your worries that if attempts such as this can lead to mindless posting. However, so far this has not happened. No one, so far, has flooded the Forum with their posts trying to reach their "goal" or behaved like a troll. So, until this happens, we will try to respect those members' rights to discuss their favorite colours or post in the "less serious" sections of the Forum as often as they would like.

Meanwhile, anyone who does not like such threads/posts or anyone who does not find such threads worthy of their attention can always ignore them.
    I really like the way you put that,Scher. I feel very justified.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

funny. cat fight cat fight!

Blog Entries
    Shcer, that's fair enough- I'd never really thought of it from that point of view before, I'd only thought of it as I come here to find stimulus, and occasionally,to chat. I apologize again if this is out of place.
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

loquacious cat mrawr
    Hey Becca, while I don't understand the need for a maximised postcount (mine is obviously low compared to years) I relate to Scher. I am so busy with Uni, which engages me in discussions all day, and then work, which I spend telling other people about books. Coming here is sanctuary where I don't have to be right, or even be serious.
    I love reading the threads on literature, and on the occasion I feel like I have something to contribute, I do. As someone who has been here for a long time, I keep coming back because I've known some here for a long time, so it feels like a safe warm community.
    I can easily see your frustration thoguh.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Chava in regards to her comments about it being a "safe warm community"
    everyone is respected here, - I think.
    People use discretion, they are polite, understanding, and there ( to my knowledge ) is no weariness about posting threads which have the potential to be well, back handed - hard. If that makes sense.

Blog Entries
    A commendable thread! Well thought and said!
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

i love it, mistaking this place for a social networking site.

Blog Entries
    I'm also with Scher and Chava on this one. I started coming here because of my love for literature, and now i come here because it is my Sanctuary (as Chava put it) from the madness of my day to day life, and also bacause some of my best friends are people i have met here and its my way of chatting to them. I post a lot on a day by day bases because i get caught up in the site, in discussions and conversations. Although i do not post in many of the other forums as much as i do here in GC, that doesnt mean i'm not following discussions, it just means i have nothing much to conribute to the threads as much of what i might want to say has been said and theirs no point repeating.
    Many of us come here for different reasons. Some only post in the literature and religious txt forums, some only come here for homework help, others come for the blogs or the poetry section and many come here for the general chat. I think its the variety that is here that makes the place so special. Its a wonderful online community.
    It can be a lot of fun here!
    I might as well point out while i'm writing that Sprinks attempt at 5000 posts before her litaversary is actually a challenge that was given to her by me. (hence my constant "you can do it") Its all part of the fun of the forum.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GX4146 View Post
    i love it, mistaking this place for a social networking site.
    The Forum does not need to be one thing or the other. It is whatever one makes of it for themselves. Some use it for social networking, some for homework, yet some to share their writing...

What I fail to understand is how and why this bothers anyone: as long as no one displays any trollish behaviour why is it a problem that some come here for different purposes from ours?

At the risk of repeting myself, please feel free to ignore any threads that you do not consider worthy of your time and attention.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    I might as well point out while i'm writing that Sprinks attempt at 5000 posts before her litaversary is actually a challenge that was given to her by me. (hence my constant "you can do it") Its all part of the fun of the forum.
    Yeah, I'm sorry all this got started. If I had known I would have annoyed so many people than I wouldn't have done it. It was done light-heartedly, in fun. I've seen quite a number of people aim to reach a certain amount of posts the whole time I've been here, so it was nothing new. Besides, I actually ended up getting to know some people in that thread that I wouldn't have begun to talk to as much otherwise. Also, it was fabulous for me to see people cheering me on in my mission, as pointless as it might seem to you (as in Becca, not you Niamh even though I'm writing this under your quote ). It really made me feel accepted and supported, even if it wasn't for a worthy cause. I already loved the community here, but I think in a way things like that can really build up community spirit even more, because people are talking more, for the sake of talking, and supporting one another in whatever they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast