Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 The Year of Reading Women

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do whatever you want, try not to be tempted to read The Luminaries. Booker prize or not, the book is too big, the plot is too ambitious and flawed which overshadow the excellent characterization and style.

Somebody mentioned Donna Tartt. I enjoyed The Secret History. The Goldfinch and The Little Friend are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I will definitely read the latter but don't feel much excitement for The Goldfinch.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sorry, double post!
    Last edited by Kafka's Crow; 02-01-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: double post
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

Seasider
    Hilary Mantel?? 2 Booker Prizes in consecutive years. Anita Brookner.? Lionel Shriver?

So far this year the only female authored book I have completed is I hear them cry by Shiho Kishimoto.
    I am working on two short story collection at present. Dear Life by Alice Munroe and A Most Ambiguous Sunday by Jung Young Moon. If you are looking to read something by a Korean female I will personally vouch for at least the first story in the collection.

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    One of the things I'd really like to explore this year is reading women from non-Western cultures. I'm already familiar with a number of Japanese female writers (Banana Yoshimoto, Natuso Kirino, Yoko Ogawa) but would like to extend that to other cultures. A woefully small amount of literature is translated into English, and a disproportionate amount of what is tends to be by male writers. So if you have any recommendations of Indian, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Chilean, Palestinian, Israeli, Nigerian, South African, Paraguayan or any otheran female nationals who have written excellent books, please pass them on.
    For African literature by females there are a few I'd highly recommend.

So Vast the Prison ~ Assia Djebar
    Fantasia: An Algerian Cavalcade ~ Assia Djebar
    Our Sister Killjoy ~ Ama Ata Aidoo
    Nervous Conditions ~ Tsitsi Dangarembga
    The Book of Not ~ Tsitsi Dangarembga
    Half of A Yellow Sun ~ Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Efuru ~ Flora Nwapa
    Faceless ~ Amma Darko
    So Long a Letter ~ Mariama Ba
    The Icarus Girl ~ Helen Oyeyemi
    The Slave Girl ~ Buchi Emecheta
    The Bride Price ~ Buchi Emecheta

Another two books I'd highly recommend, but out of Eastern Europe are:

Primeval and Other Times ~ Olga Tokarczuk
    The Museum of Abandoned Secrets ~ Oksana Zabuzhko

The first of those two might just be my favourite novel written by a female author. It's just brilliant.

Seasider
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Donna Tartt as a contender. Her latest book "the Goldfinch" has generated a lot of excellent reviews and as it is concerned with Art might be something that St Luke's Guild would be interested in.

sorry I see it has been mentioned,though the writer seems not to be interested in the prospect. I intend to start it next week.
    Last edited by Seasider; 02-02-2014 at 05:37 AM.

my year of reading women

Stella GIBBONS, Cold Comfort Farm
    Sylvia PLATH, The Bell Jar
    Alice WALKER, The Temple of My Familiar
    Jane AUSTEN, Persuasion
    Iris MURDOCH, The Bell
    Zadie SMITH, On Beauty
    Marivi SOLIVEN, The Mango Bride
    Isabel ALLENDE, La Maison aux Esprits
    Elizabeth BOWEN, The Last September
    Edna O'BRIEN, The Country Girls
    Kate CHOPIN, The Awakening and Other Stories
    Edith WHARTON, Summer
    Jean RHYS, Quartet
    Willa CATHER, The Professor's House
    Muriel SPARK, The Public Image
    Nadine GORDIMER, Burger's Daughter
    Pat BARKER, The Ghost Road
    Joyce Carol OATES, Them
    Siri HUSTVEDT, What I Loved
    Toni MORRISON, Sula
    Margaret ATWOOD, The Blind Assassin
    Rebecca WEST, The Thinking Reed
    Susan HILL, I'm the King of the Castle
    Anne BRONTE, Agnes Grey
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Let's see how many female authored books I have read in 2014.

Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse
    Shazaf Fatima Haider - How It Happened
    Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
    Leila Aboulela - Minaret
    Uzma Aslam Khan - Trespassing
    Anne Enright - The Gathering
    Anita Desai - Fire in the Mountain
    Rukhsana Ahmad - The Gatekeeper's Wife
    Kamila Shamsie - Burnt Shadows

That's 9 of 62 books I read in 2014. That's less than 15%. Not good. I'm disappointed, and my list doesn't even feature many top female writers.
    But you, cloudless girl, question of smoke, corn tassel
    You were what the wind was making with illuminated leaves.
    ah, I can say nothing! You were made of everything.

_Pablo Neruda

I read Elisabeth Gaskell (Mary Barton), George Elliot (Middleman) and Ursula Le Guin (Left Hand of Darkness)

Edit: I think I read a Doris Lessing book too (A Proper Marriage). I will have to look back over the books I read in 2014, because I am surprised I did not read more female authors. I do intend to read a Jane Austen and a Charlotte Bronze in 2015, and a Daphne du Maurier. Otherwise I think my TBR list is mostly male.

Edit: Now I am back at home and can look at my shelves, I see I also read North & South by Mrs Gaskell, Up the Junction by Nell Dunn, and a non-fiction book called The Drugs Don't Work: A Global Threat by Professor Dame Sally C. Davies. In addition to those, The Odd Women by George Gissing had a feminist theme. I am also reading a biography of Florence Nightingale. I am virtually a new man.
    Last edited by kev67; 01-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    9 of 62 books I read in 2014 (were by female authors). That's less than 15%. Not good. I'm disappointed, and my list doesn't even feature many top female writers.

How many great female authors can you name prior to the 20th century? The mid-19th century? My library houses literature across the centuries. For reasons we are all certainly aware of there were not many female authors, artists, or composers of great merit until recently.

As I have stated elsewhere, I don't read with a political aim. I don't read in order to rectify the imbalance between male and female writers... black and white writers... Western and Non-Western writers. I read for personal pleasure. Quite honestly I don't spend a lot of time reading late Modern/Contemporary literature, and I spend far more time reading poetry, short fiction, and non-fiction/essay than I do reading novels so I'm not likely to be delving into the latest "flavor of the month" whether it be Donna Tartt or Deepak Chopra or Yann Martel. On the other hand, I have spent time recently reading Anne Carson, Marina Tsvetaeva, Yosano Akiko, Sappho, and a few other women writers.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    How many great female authors can you name prior to the 20th century? The mid-19th century? My library houses literature across the centuries. For reasons we are all certainly aware of there were not many female authors, artists, or composers of great merit until recently.

As I have stated elsewhere, I don't read with a political aim. I don't read in order to rectify the imbalance between male and female writers... black and white writers... Western and Non-Western writers. I read for personal pleasure. Quite honestly I don't spend a lot of time reading late Modern/Contemporary literature, and I spend far more time reading poetry, short fiction, and non-fiction/essay than I do reading novels so I'm not likely to be delving into the latest "flavor of the month" whether it be Donna Tartt or Deepak Chopra or Yann Martel. On the other hand, I have spent time recently reading Anne Carson, Marina Tsvetaeva, Yosano Akiko, Sappho, and a few other women writers.
    If we are talking about quality literature across the centuries and even most of near-contemporary or contemporary literature, then without doubt it is male authors we'd be reading. Which is fine by me because I make no attempt to read female authors as a duty to find some sort of parity between genders but as a way to diversify my reading to hear female voices directly, especially female voices from non-white, non-Western background. You may notice the female authors I listed above come from said backgrounds. Sometimes it gives me valuable insights on life but it can equally be a waste of time. Despite laudatory reviews and prizes, quality literature is just not produced very often. So yes...
    But you, cloudless girl, question of smoke, corn tassel
    You were what the wind was making with illuminated leaves.
    ah, I can say nothing! You were made of everything.

_Pablo Neruda

Blog Entries
    Uh I read Daniel Deronda, three books of short stories by Alice Munro, The Waves and The Years for the first time and reread To the Lighthouse...

So 7 of something like eighty.

Edit: Oh and I probably read an entire volume of Dickinson once or twice throughout the year, though not every poem. There are probably a few other female poets I'm forgetting right now as well.
    Last edited by Clopin; 01-02-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dickinson is indeed a pleasure. She was almost ruined by my grade-school teachers who played up the image of the Virginal woman in white locked in her bedroom... and then again by college professors who tried to turn her into a Patron Saint of Lesbian/Feminist Lit & Crit. It was only when I sat down with a heft volume of her work and read it through on my own terms, that I came to appreciate her so.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    First poet I actually liked when I was still a poemaphobe whose eyes glazed over even looking at poetry, actually I liked Auden too but that was pretty much it. Her poems are easy to memorize as well, at least I've memorized probably a few dozen without ever consciously trying to do so.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    2014 was not a good reading year for me but almost half of the authors I read turned out to be female (even though I was not trying to concentrate on female authors in particular): 17/36.

17. Mrs de Winter by Susan Hill (N21/W17) ~ 4/10

16. We The Living by Ayn Rand (S4/W16) ~ 6/10

15. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (N18/W15) ~ 9/10

14. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (S3/W14/P) ~ 9/10

13. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (W13/N14) ~ 7/10

12. After Leaving Mr Mackenzie by Jean Rhys (W12/S1) ~ 7/10

11. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (W11/R1) ~ 7/10

10. Little Vampire Women by Lynn Messina ~ (W10/SO4) ~ 6/10

9. Penelopiad by Atwood ~ (W9/SO3) ~ 7/10

8. Anthem by Ayn Rand (N13/W8) ~ 6/10

7. An Accidental Man by Iris Murdoch (N10/W7) ~ 5/10

6. Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James (W6/N7/SO2) ~ 4/10