Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was just asked by a publisher to write a small novel!

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar

I was just asked by a publisher to write a small novel!

Some bit of good news... I was asked a few hours ago to write a larger work than my usual stories, a small novel. It would be a bit over 60 pages in A4 (so i guess up to 90 or so pages in book form).

Apart from being honored by the publisher specifically asking me to write the work, i am happy that they asked for a horror-related story. They are willing to test the public's taste for darker literature, due to the general mood brought by the crisis as well.

Although it is not certain they will end up printing the novel, they have mentioned many times in the past, and now, that they regard my work as being of high level. I am quite optimistic that the novel will get a printed form in a few months, and i will try to make it as best as i can, despite not being very keen on producing this particular scale of work.

-I would like to ask you if you think there is something to be aware of when writing a novel, if one is used to smaller stories (most of my published work is around 8 pages).

-Also it might be beneficial for me to read whether you prefer different kinds of development in a small novel, than the one you are more interested in while reading shorter stories.

I have already started writing the work, and have an idea of its total form. It is a dark story, but at least it begins when most of the darkness has ended.
    Up to now, in nearly 2 years, i had 17 published short stories in printed periodicals. However a novel would surely mark the pinnacle of this journey to the mountainous terrain of letters, at least the first pinnacle, from which one can observe what infinities appear further ahead
    βῆ δ᾿ ἀκέων παρὰ θῖνα πολυφλοίσϐοιο θαλάσσης·
    (he walked silently on the edge of the loudly heard wave-breaking sea)
    Iliad A:34
    Read articles in my Patreon
    Watch videos in my Youtube

I read somewhere (more than once, I think) that the simplest way of getting your hooks into a reader at the start of a long story is to begin with the saddest scene you can think of. I've mentally translated that into "begin with the most [emotion to vary with the themes of the story] scene you can think of". So perhaps in your case you want to give the reader a real chill on the first page.

Also, as a reader I've noticed a general rule recently, which might be useful. (Though it seems pretty obvious, its amazing how many authors forget it.) Opening a lot of strands of a story gets the reader excited. Closing them all successfully is hugely satifying for said reader. On the other hand, not closing them all by the end really shakes the reader's faith in the author.

Good luck!

Edit: Regarding different kinds of development, I generally hope to have a character explained/explored to/for me in a short story, like a snap shot of life; whereas in a novel I'm more interested in how a character I've been introduced to changes over time.
    Last edited by em onty; 08-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Some bit of good news... I was asked a few hours ago to write a larger work than my usual stories, a small novel. It would be a bit over 60 pages in A4 (so i guess up to 90 or so pages in book form).

Apart from being honored by the publisher specifically asking me to write the work, i am happy that they asked for a horror-related story. They are willing to test the public's taste for darker literature, due to the general mood brought by the crisis as well.

Although it is not certain they will end up printing the novel, they have mentioned many times in the past, and now, that they regard my work as being of high level. I am quite optimistic that the novel will get a printed form in a few months, and i will try to make it as best as i can, despite not being very keen on producing this particular scale of work.

-I would like to ask you if you think there is something to be aware of when writing a novel, if one is used to smaller stories (most of my published work is around 8 pages).

-Also it might be beneficial for me to read whether you prefer different kinds of development in a small novel, than the one you are more interested in while reading shorter stories.

I have already started writing the work, and have an idea of its total form. It is a dark story, but at least it begins when most of the darkness has ended.
    Up to now, in nearly 2 years, i had 17 published short stories in printed periodicals. However a novel would surely mark the pinnacle of this journey to the mountainous terrain of letters, at least the first pinnacle, from which one can observe what infinities appear further ahead
    Congratulations!

In English, the word you're looking for would be "novella". If you want examples to look at, the first that comes to mind would be Stephen King's Different Seasons, which is a collection of four novellas (though these are closer to drama than horror).
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you Em_Onty and Calidore

I had only once written a novella before, 5 years ago. I think i can make something better now though, in this sort of length. The story does not actually begin with a striking scene, it rather begins after the horror has ended, or at least the main horror. It begins with serenity, and a walk near the sea at the edge of the large city.

I am really happy that they asked me to write the novella for them. Best news on literature i ever had...

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Congratulation! How lovely that you're getting the chance to make your writing dreams come true.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Thank you Qimissung

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! Keep us updated!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    All the best!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Don't start with the weather!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Kinglsey Amis's advice to novelists: "Never mention clouds."

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Or with somebody waking up. Especially not with someone waking up and observing the weather.

I'm willing to make an exception for "It was a dark and stormy night."

Blog Entries
    How about some more writing tips from the masters? Jack Kerouac's are my favorite.

http://www.writingclasses.com/Inform...php/PageID/269
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the link, qimissung. Those will be fun to read.

I've always liked Billy Wilder's simple description of the three-act structure: In the first act, you get your hero up in a tree. In the second act, you set the tree on fire. In the third act, you get him down from the tree.

Blog Entries
    lol, well Billy Wilder was pretty brilliant.

Thank you all

The first sentence of the novella is about the narrator expressing his joy that the vast work he undertook has now been finished- he wrote many thousands of pages in the space of a year, for reasons which become apparent a couple of pages later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast