• * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

2 40.00%
  • **** It is a good book.

2 40.00%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January '12 / Newbury Reading: The Giver

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is a part of a trilogy, but it seemed to me that it was also supposed to be a stand alone story. In any case, I never went on to read the next in the series.

I've been harping about what I didn't like about the book, so here's what I did like about it. I felt it was a pretty fresh portrayal of the much dealt with future dystopian society. I liked the idea of them being color-blind, and how his discovery of color was such a revelation. It had me going back before he starts seeing color to see if the author ever used any references to colors, and I don't think I found any, which is pretty commendable if you ask me. I thought the characters were well developed and when the Giver was giving him the memories, I found that particularly interesting and original. For a "children's" book, I didn't find it childish at all. The prose was easy-to-read, yes, but it didn't seemed dumbed down, and I found the ease refreshing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Yes, it is a part of a trilogy, but it seemed to me that it was also supposed to be a stand alone story. In any case, I never went on to read the next in the series.

I've been harping about what I didn't like about the book, so here's what I did like about it. I felt it was a pretty fresh portrayal of the much dealt with future dystopian society. I liked the idea of them being color-blind, and how his discovery of color was such a revelation. It had me going back before he starts seeing color to see if the author ever used any references to colors, and I don't think I found any, which is pretty commendable if you ask me. I thought the characters were well developed and when the Giver was giving him the memories, I found that particularly interesting and original. For a "children's" book, I didn't find it childish at all. The prose was easy-to-read, yes, but it didn't seemed dumbed down, and I found the ease refreshing at the time.

Ya, but it's also interesting to harp about the negative aspects of the story, such as the number of aesthetic clichés. I mean, the baby having 'golden curls'... wtf... That's a clear sign of conforming, and thus your reason about the ending being abrupt is actually well-reasoned.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Almost half-way through the story and...

Well, welcome to "Brave New World for Beginners"... I have to agree with MM that it is another portrayal of a dystopian society... A sugar coated one but, for some reason, it makes me shudder more than BNW or Handmaid's Tale because of this sugar-coating.

I am not sure how the story will unfold as yet but, so far I, everything is so perfect-seeming that, I cannot help wondering if a young-reader would appreciate the element of "lack of choice" as a disadvantage. Lily considering being a childbearer a good option is a good example of the workings of a younger mind, I think.

Have to admit that it has been a long time since I read something written purely for younger readers and I find the writing style a little cliche and boring (as in lacking excitement); however, that is not a criticism of the author... Not at the moment at least.

So, blue eyes have "more depth", huh? How do you interpret that?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meta Penguin View Post
    Ya, but it's also interesting to harp about the negative aspects of the story, such as the number of aesthetic clichés. I mean, the baby having 'golden curls'... wtf... That's a clear sign of conforming, and thus your reason about the ending being abrupt is actually well-reasoned.
    I read it a while back and don't remember the cliches--I'm not saying they're not there. When I pick up a YA novel, I just assume the some cliches will be a part of the territory. Not that's much of, or a good excuse, it's just to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Almost half-way through the story and...

Well, welcome to "Brave New World for Beginners"... I have to agree with MM that it is another portrayal of a dystopian society... A sugar coated one but, for some reason, it makes me shudder more than BNW or Handmaid's Tale because of this sugar-coating.

I am not sure how the story will unfold as yet but, so far I, everything is so perfect-seeming that, I cannot help wondering if a young-reader would appreciate the element of "lack of choice" as a disadvantage. Lily considering being a childbearer a good option is a good example of the workings of a younger mind, I think.

Have to admit that it has been a long time since I read something written purely for younger readers and I find the writing style a little cliche and boring (as in lacking excitement); however, that is not a criticism of the author... Not at the moment at least.

So, blue eyes have "more depth", huh? How do you interpret that?
    I keep hearing this book is being read by 6th graders, and I can't help but wonder if that might be a little soon if all the themes are to be picked up on and discussed. It felt more like a 7th-9th grade book.

As to the writing being boring . . . I agree. Though, I thought the plot and characters made up for it. Like cliches, I think simple prose is just par for the course when it comes to YA literature.

The book was a great read. Rather haunting, and thought-provoking, despite the easy read and rather stiff flow of the writing.

I think despite the intended audience (were children the original intended audience?), adults can take a way an important message- life is more than comfort, human beings seem to universally crave for a deeper meaning, and we can understand that we are complex, emotional creatures longing for love, passion, and something we sort of vaguely understand as "life."

The ending pissed me off- I wish the author would just tell us he died or didn't die... Though the sled at the end tells me that he's either lost in his memories or he died. But... I have to say its approrpriate. There is no beginning or end to the human struggle, to the human...being.
    www.greenthumbdepot.com|Hydroponics

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    It felt more like a 7th-9th grade book.
    Not sure how the age vs grade works in the US, but I feel it might be a good read for 14-15 year-olds to be able to discuss the issues; however, the writing indicates towards a younger reader, I feel.

As to the writing being boring . . . I agree. Though, I thought the plot and characters made up for it. Like cliches, I think simple prose is just par for the course when it comes to YA literature.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.hart View Post
    The book was a great read. Rather haunting, and thought-provoking, despite the easy read and rather stiff flow of the writing.
    I feel the characters lack depth and the storyline is somewhat predictable.
    ~
    ~

Unregistered User
    I was going to hoof it on over to the library, but the comments so far have dissuaded me. All in all, the book seems like an attempt to indoctrinate children before they reach an age where they can critically think.
    Last edited by Cunninglinguist; 01-13-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Dare to know

Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnobody View Post
    I get your point though, MM. It was a terrible way to end a book. It seemed like what you have if you wrote a book, some editor told you to cut 100 pages, so you just took off the last 100 pages.
    I find the ending quite becoming. In my opinion, the story is not about Jonah as an individual but his community so there is no need for us to know what happens to him once we have the reassurance that he gets away from his community. If Lowry had written more elaborating about Jonah's future, it would have taken the focus away from the point, which, I feel, she was trying to make.

With this ending, she is giving us some sort of reassurance that there is a hope and it is not the only way left for the humanity; what happens to Jonah as an individual is of little consequence at this stage. However, I also feel that she is offering some kind of hope as Jonah starts to build his own memories and feels the existence of lights and warmth down below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunninglinguist View Post
    I was going to hoof it on over to the library, but the comments so far have dissuaded me. All in all, the book seems like an attempt to indoctrinate children before they reach an age where they can critically think.
    Oh, don't say that!

I have to admit that I would have agreed with you till I read the ending of the book; however, now I feel the author manages to salvage the book somehow.

Still, you should not take our word for it and read it for yourself
    ~
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Meh. I still feel like she didn't know how to wrap the story up. I just hate endings where the final pages are being read, and I'm thinking, this isn't going to be answered, is it? I need to go back and reread the ending, because it's been a while and can't remember my specific dislikes about the ending, just that it left me feeling a bit jipped.

And, Cunninglinguist, you should take Scher's advice and give the book a try. It's one of the highest acclaimed YA books there is, so don't let a few opinions here dissuade you. In any case, it's a quick read.

I loved this story when I was younger! I will have to read it again so I can discuss this with you all!
    Love Audrey

Blog Entries
    I thought the story was well told. It kept my interest. The part I found most moving was Rosemary's self-release. As far as the ending goes, I think it is obvious that Jonas and Gabe reached the safety of a home in the midst of a Christmas celebration.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Why is it obvious?

Blog Entries
    What made this obvious was the third and second paragraphs from the end.

Specifically the following: "Suddenly he was aware with certainty and joy that below, ahead, they were waiting for him; and that they were waiting, too, for the babe."

Lowry didn't have to say anything more. Now she could have gone on and described the encounter and introduced new characters, but I think that would have distracted from the original story.

If she had intended for them to die in the cold before they reached safety, this would have justified additional text. However, nothing was leading up to that. From the bizarre finding of the sled at the top of the hill to the twinkling of the lights on the tree recalling the happiest memory the Giver offered to Jonas, she was telling the reader that they were safe.

Unregistered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Oh, don't say that!

I have to admit that I would have agreed with you till I read the ending of the book; however, now I feel the author manages to salvage the book somehow.

Still, you should not take our word for it and read it for yourself
    The ending is ambiguous, but one has to think about how teachers present the novel to the students, how they will characterize it as a dystopian novel, how they will ideologically load their comments about the book, etc. (kids are impressionable little critters!) I think in that respect the ending seems to me clever artifice, which I would find despicable. But! you and mutatis have persuaded me to check out a copy next time I'm over at the library.
    Last edited by Cunninglinguist; 01-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Dare to know

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That doesn't seem clear to me. It seems like it could simply be symbolistic description for heaven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast