Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 "12 Re-reads" Challenge

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    1. The Collector by Fowles - 10/10 A breath-taking book, a page-turner, thought-provoking. I am very happy to see that, after 25 years, the book still affects me in the same manner; even more so because I feel I have been able to appreciate some aspects of the book more this time round. And my belief that Fowles is one of the best writers of the 20th century has been confirmed once again.

2. Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald - 10/10 Even though Gatsby is considered, Fitzgerald's masterpiece, I find Night much more touching and tighter as a story. Once again, I was unable to put the book down. Want to read more of his books now.

3. Stardust by Gaiman - 9/10 He is a wonderful story-teller and this one, the first one of his books that I had read, is still one of the best in my opinion because of the way he takes a known storyline and makes it his own.

4. Look Back in Anger by Osborne 9/10 The anger and frustration in this play always gets to me and even though I feel like shaking the characters at times in my own frustration as a reader, it is still one of the best plays I have read.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by iamnobody View Post
    I think it's a great idea. I read Great Expectations in school and I remember thinking it was just awful. I read it again this year and I loved it. I'm so glad I gave it another go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    1. The Collector by Fowles - 10/10 A breath-taking book, a page-turner, thought-provoking. I am very happy to see that, after 25 years, the book still affects me in the same manner; even more so because I feel I have been able to appreciate some aspects of the book more this time round. And my belief that Fowles is one of the best writers of the 20th century has been confirmed once again.

2. Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald - 10/10 Even though Gatsby is considered, Fitzgerald's masterpiece, I find Night much more touching and tighter as a story. Once again, I was unable to put the book down. Want to read more of his books now.

I am going to re-read these also, thanks for reminding me of them.
    However, I think I will replace Tender is the Night with The Great Gatsby.
    Last edited by coluta; 05-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.

3. Stardust by Gaiman - 9/10 He is a wonderful story-teller and this one, the first one of his books that I had read, is still one of the best in my opinion because of the way he takes a known storyline and makes it his own.

4. Look Back in Anger by Osborne 9/10 The anger and frustration in this play always gets to me and even though I feel like shaking the characters at times in my own frustration as a reader, it is still one of the best plays I have read.

5. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 10/10 Marquez's style is perfect. My only problem with this book is not being able to read it in its original.

6. Daisy Miller by Henry James 8/10 It is a short book but I find this story very touching and James' style makes me want to read more of his book, which I have neglected so far.

7. The Importance of Being Earnest by Wilde 10/10 Quirky, witty and cynical.
    ~
    ~

Cool The Collector and Look Back in Anger ....

were made into very good movies. I think The Collector starred Terrence Stamp. I know Look Back in Anger was the first movie in which I saw Richard Burton. You would probably enjoy the movies now you have re-read the books.

Tender is the Night was made into a black & white movie in the 60s with Jason Robards Jr as Dick Diver. I forget who played Nicole. I would like to see it again, but I have never been able to find it on DVD.

Scott Fitzgerald didn't write that many novels other than Gatsby and Tender. Only 2-1/2 more: The Beautiful and the Damned and This Side of Paradise ( a kind of college memoir) plus his unfinished novel The Last Tycoon. He is better noted for his short stories which fill about 3 or 4 volumes. In fact, his short stories may be his best work. I am of the opinion that he would have been the fifth American to win the Nobel prize if he hadn't died so young (44 I believe).

The movie about his affair with the British Hollywood writer (Sheila Graham) is worth seeing, but although I like Gregory Peck, he just was not Scott Fitzgerald. Deborah Kerr though was well cast as Sheilah Graham. the movie was taken from Graham's book Beloved Infidel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up.

You might have just saved me from the agony of enduring again the 12 books I hated.
    ahahahahahaha

Re-reading is a must in my life but I too forget details - and names. They are so hard to remember!

What's the book you have re-read the most? I think mine are 'Little women' by Alcott and 'Pride and prejudice' by Austen. Just love them!

I get more out of a book when I read a second or third time.

Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    were made into very good movies. I think The Collector starred Terrence Stamp. I know Look Back in Anger was the first movie in which I saw Richard Burton. You would probably enjoy the movies now you have re-read the books.

Tender is the Night was made into a black & white movie in the 60s with Jason Robards Jr as Dick Diver. I forget who played Nicole. I would like to see it again, but I have never been able to find it on DVD.

Scott Fitzgerald didn't write that many novels other than Gatsby and Tender. Only 2-1/2 more: The Beautiful and the Damned and This Side of Paradise ( a kind of college memoir) plus his unfinished novel The Last Tycoon. He is better noted for his short stories which fill about 3 or 4 volumes. In fact, his short stories may be his best work. I am of the opinion that he would have been the fifth American to win the Nobel prize if he hadn't died so young (44 I believe).

The movie about his affair with the British Hollywood writer (Sheila Graham) is worth seeing, but although I like Gregory Peck, he just was not Scott Fitzgerald. Deborah Kerr though was well cast as Sheilah Graham. the movie was taken from Graham's book Beloved Infidel.
    I watched "Look Back in Anger" after re-reading the play (it is available on youtube, by the way, if anyone is interested) and I simply hated it. The storyline and characters are changed so much and the acting leaves much to be desired.

I haven't seen the other movies you mentioned; I will see if I can find them.

As a sidenote, recently watched "Midnight in Paris" and Scott and Zelda make an appearance along with many personalities from the world of art who used to spend their time in Paris in those days.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Schere, you have my respect *bows*. I rarely can make it through Fitzgerald once, let alone choose to re-read him. I'm also feeling like I need to get on reading for the Seven Deadly Sins challenge. I've been slacking

Blog Entries
    Lady, I can see why some people may not like him. I believe he is a very distinct flavor. One that I really enjoy. Tender is the Night is an excellent book. I would give it an 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    It could be a good project depending on how you see it. You might want to feel how you react to a book you read during youth but now wish to consider it during middle age.
    Tread carefully!

Arthur C Clarke's "The City and the Stars" was a bright glow in memory from my early teens, but I reduced that image to ashes when I tried to re-read it.

I now avoid reading books that are fond memories from childhood but suspect will not be such a good read through adult eyes.

Things might work "the other way around". If you found a classic too "heavy" as a kid, try it now. This worked with Don Quixote, for me.

5. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 10/10 Marquez's style is perfect. My only problem with this book is not being able to read it in its original.

6. Daisy Miller by Henry James 8/10 It is a short book but I find this story very touching and James' style makes me want to read more of his book, which I have neglected so far.

7. The Importance of Being Earnest by Wilde 10/10 Quirky, witty and cynical.

8. Howards End by EM Forster - 8/10 Read it again after a while and have to admit it felt even better this time round.

9. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - 6/10 Not sure why I don't like this book but the whole "aww, poor things" does not do it for me. Considering how much I enjoy Wharton's style, it is a surprise.

Running out of time!
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Scher this is a great idea but I am going to put a little twist on it I have decided to re read some books I didn't finish the first time around. Now I need to decide which book!!
    I am back............................

Will there be another thing like this this coming 2013? I'm up for the challege!

Quote Originally Posted by xtianfriborg13 View Post
    Will there be another thing like this this coming 2013? I'm up for the challege!
    Here are some of the challenges that are active at the moment:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...ing-Challenges

Some are on-going but I am sure there will be new ones in 2013 as well.

Hope you can join us

Quote Originally Posted by Joreads View Post
    Scher this is a great idea but I am going to put a little twist on it I have decided to re read some books I didn't finish the first time around. Now I need to decide which book!!
    That is a great idea

Maybe you can post that as a challenge for 2013!

http://www.online-literature.com/for...ing-Challenges
    ~
    ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast