Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama's books

Obama's books

I recently started reading Barack Obama's Dreams from my Father and wanted to hear what other people had to say about it. Is The Audacity of Hope better? Please share and explain your ideas.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think that this thread is very dangerous treading into the No Politics rule. Obama and his books are too controversial in the political realm. Just my thoughts...
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

I agree. It might be the case that there's plenty to discuss in the book that's unrelated to politics, but he's a political figure with a huge profile--and there will probably be some visitor to the site who doesn't know the rules against politics, and next thing you know, the "Hey, no-politics" comments will come with tit-for-tat political responses attached, people trying to get the last word, etc. This is like a can of gasoline sitting in a campfire.

Cool I can live with posting about President Obama's book .....

I just wish there was a no-student-asking qustions rule. In my opinion, these excessive questions are ruining thw site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida View Post
    I recently started reading Barack Obama's Dreams from my Father and wanted to hear what other people had to say about it. Is The Audacity of Hope better? Please share and explain your ideas.

Thanks
    All these books from people running for office are politically motivated and frankly crap. And that goes from people on the right and the left. If you find stuff you like in there it's because it resonates with you politically.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    All these books from people running for office are politically motivated and frankly crap. And that goes from people on the right and the left. If you find stuff you like in there it's because it resonates with you politically.
    I am not sure this is entirely fair Virgil, despite the fact that I do not read many political agenda to grind works of non-fiction, though I did try one between 05 and 06, Richard Clarke, and his work was well informed and provided decent historical data. I should not defend Obama on the basis of sympathetic reviews, but from what I understand, he writes well and knows his literary history, and even if you distrust him as a politician, his quest for identity and self-discovery led to his remarkable success. That backstory, quite honestly, keeps me from giving into total despair about the idealism within our American narrative.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 04-06-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: preposition change

It should also be mentioned that some stuff in such a book might be disliked simply because the book as a whole fails to resonate politically.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    I am not sure this is entirely fair Virgil, despite the fact that I do not read many political agenda to grind works of non-fiction, though I did try one between 05 and 06, Richard Clarke, and his work was well informed and provided decent historical data. I should not defend Obama on the basis of sympathetic reviews, but from what I understand, he writes well and knows his literary history, and even if you distrust him as a politician, his quest for identity and self-discovery led to his remarkable success. That backstory, quite honestly, keeps me from giving into total despair about the idealism within our American narrative.
    Nonetheless...it is current events, since it pertains to him as the current POTUS...

Therefore, it should be off limits here, per the rules...
    Les Miserables,
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    Nonetheless...it is current events, since it pertains to him as the current POTUS...
    If someone were to bring up a fictional book with themes that clearly slant to the left or right, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they were only discussing the book. I say, post away until you get moderated.

That being said, the only posts so far have been to say not to post. There probably won't be much of a discussion here since I doubt many have read the book yet.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    If someone were to bring up a fictional book with themes that clearly slant to the left or right, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they were only discussing the book. I say, post away until you get moderated.

That being said, the only posts so far have been to say not to post. There probably won't be much of a discussion here since I doubt many have read the book yet.
    The Admin has clearly stated the rules...popular opinion has nothing to do with it. Obama is NOT a good subject for here...
    Les Miserables,

Blog Entries
    The Admin has clearly stated the rules...popular opinion has nothing to do with it. Obama is NOT a good subject for here...
    Then why don't we go about our business like grown-ups until either the admin or schere pops their head in? Of course, you could always run to them...
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Wow, this is this is the strangest a-political political discussion I've ever read.

biting writer
    I beg to differ about his books. He may have written them with the intent of being a major player, but it is now 2010. I do not think he wrote them in the back of his mind knowing exactly where future events would lead, and Dreams is closely tied to Ellison, who has been nominated as a selection in the forum book club.

I have posted in the past that I support Chris in the no politics rule, because I do discuss politics online and it is basically futile. Posters, even highly educated ones, become too emotionally invested--but Obama is a marvelous rhetorician, and if the OP wants to discuss the daddy text, I think she should be allowed.

I can support her although I cannot contribute, as I currently have too much on my plate.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Then why don't we go about our business like grown-ups until either the admin or schere pops their head in?
    I think this is a brilliant suggestion!

So far, this thread has shown tendency to turn political only because some of those who have posted seem bent to do so.

This thread is not about Obama and/or his political stances but a book he had written before becoming an active political figure.

If you have read the books and have any comments, please express them.

Otherwise, please feel free to ignore the thread.

Off-topic posts will be deleted without any further notice.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

We had to read The Audacity of Hope for American studies course (in our English translation major subject we have compulsory British and American studies, because cultural knowledge is of utmost importance to a translator), and I liked it. I liked the fact that even though the book is mostly about Obama's political views, it was never boring or too hard to understand, but a fluent read. I also found it interesting, because all I knew about Obama before that was mostly from the Finnish media and the things that were most talked about during his run for presidency, so after reading the book I understood not only him but also the American politics a bit better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast