Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has reading gotten in the way of your personal relationships?

Well said Poll.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollopicu View Post
    What are misanthropes suppose to do with their lives? Live in the bush, in Mankato? Are you even familiar with the characteristics of a misanthrope? I think you're confusing it with some kind of social phobia. They're not the same.
    I need things. I have to live my life the best I know how. Doesn't mean I have to get along or agree with anyone. I just do what I need to do, and go where I need to go.

Have you ever heard of Florence King? I wonder how she was even able to get out of her house and network enough to get a book published...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_King

Being a misanthrope is not about thinking you're better than anyone. It's about wondering why people wouldn't want to be better themselves as a society. Look around you, everything is disgusting filth. How can people accept this way of living? how come no one has started a revolution? I'm so grossed out by society, it's not even funny. I can't even stand to look out the window.
    I would actually enjoy the company of people if I met any one worth speaking to. It's not that I hate every person I meet. I'm mostly disgusted my humanity, society, the herd mentality.
    Nothing puts you above the 'herd'. You're actually a member of a slightly different herd, and not necessarily a superior or more worthy herd at that.

"how come no one has started a revolution?"

'How come' you haven't started a revolution then [edit]?

Attention everyone in this thread currently under the impression that you are somehow superior to the rest of the world because you have a few Dostoyevsky novels under your belt.

Get over yourself. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by wat?? View Post
    Nothing puts you above the 'herd'. You're actually a member of a slightly different herd, and not necessarily a superior or more worthy herd at that.

Attention everyone in this thread currently under the impression that you are somehow superior to the rest of the world because you have a few Dostoyevsky novels under your belt.

..What does Dostoyevsky have to do with it? where did that come from?

It seems like someone has a mayor chip on their shoulder. You sound just as bitter as I am. Never once did I say I was better than anyone. Why is being disgusted with society equals superiority? Am I suppose to trash myself down so people don't take offense to my convictions?

Every year, every week, every day I fight for what I believe in. Having this discussion with you right now IS my revolution.
    "So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales!There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS--OTHER PEOPLE!"
    — Jean-Paul Sartre (No Exit: A Play in One Act)

Surely you must be aware that you are talking to down to us. It could be argued that your alleged humbleness makes you feel superior.

I think your point about Dostoevsky is a reference to my post about how I doubt that anyone at my school has read Dostoevsky. I'm not trying to claim any superiority(in fact, many of the cowboys that I go to school with are smarter than I am). It's just a point about not being able to relate to anyone. And I think that Pollopicu's hatred of society is in the same vain, it's not about being better or above, it's just about being different and/or alienated from the people around you for whatever reasons.

Blog Entries

It seems like someone has a mayor chip on their shoulder. You sound just as bitter as I am. Never once did I say I was better than anyone. Why is being disgusted with society equals superiority? Am I suppose to trash myself down so people don't take offense to my convictions?

Every year, every week, every day I fight for what I believe in. Having this discussion with you right now IS my revolution.
    I understand your view, and to a degree, I support it. I can not stand rudeness, general bad manners and disrespect. I don't think most people like it either. However, and I am sorry for any offense this may cause, you sound incredibly ignorant. Anyone can moan and complain about how "bad" and how disgusting the world is, but what are they, what are you - doing to change it? Calling people "trash" is such a write off, and incredibly disrespectful. We are who we are for a reason. We are shaped by our environment and experiences. You don't know why those you dub "trash" are the way they are. And tell me, have you ever tried to understand them? I'm not making excuses for anybody, but if people aren't given the opportunity, patience and support to make necessay changes - to learn, to be educated, then how can you expect them to be anything other than "trash". Hate it, think it's unfair, cry and scream all you want, the fact remains that many of them don't know any better. Education is key. It's not them, I am ashamed of, it's people such as yourself who write them off as "trash" so easily, that make me feel ashamed. Your "revolution" is selfish. Your ignorance and bitterness does them less harm than it does you. Whether you like it or not, the responsibility of change rests with you as much as it rests with them. Hatred and ignorance and bitterness is counter productive. People just tend to despise what they do not understand.

Banned

Merely an example. Pseudo intellectuals tend to view their knowledge of literature (which generally extends only to a few very well known authors, such as Dostoyevsky.) as something that separates them (and it's impossible not to note the implication of superiority here) from the 'herd'.

I sincerely hope by the way that your listed age is not accurate.

Blog Entries
    Being a misanthrope is not about thinking you're better than anyone. It's about wondering why people wouldn't want to be better themselves as a society. Look around you, everything is disgusting filth. How can people accept this way of living? how come no one has started a revolution? I'm so grossed out by society, it's not even funny. I can't even stand to look out the window.
    What is this filth you're talking about? I'm half heartedly disappointed that I live in such a classy country that practices human rights and has a mostly reliable government. When I walk through my neighbourhood, I see people that have used the advances in civilization to be happy and to live stable lives. To be sheltered and fed. To find love and to be healthy. I have nothing to fight for. Everyone's happy. Everyone watches tv.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    I understand your view, and to a degree, I support it. I can not stand rudeness, general bad manners and disrespect. I don't think most people like it either. However, and I am sorry for any offense this may cause, you sound incredibly ignorant. Anyone can moan and complain about how "bad" and how disgusting the world is, but what are they, what are you - doing to change it? Calling people "trash" is such a write off, and incredibly disrespectful. We are who we are for a reason. We are shaped by our environment and experiences. You don't know why those you dub "trash" are the way they are. And tell me, have you ever tried to understand them? I'm not making excuses for anybody, but if people aren't given the opportunity, patience and support to make necessay changes - to learn, to be educated, then how can you expect them to be anything other than "trash". Hate it, think it's unfair, cry and scream all you want, the fact remains that many of them don't know any better. Education is key. It's not them, I am ashamed of, it's people such as yourself who write them off as "trash" so easily, that make me feel ashamed. Your "revolution" is selfish. Your ignorance and bitterness does them less harm than it does you. Whether you like it or not, the responsibility of change rests with you as much as it rests with them. Hatred and ignorance and bitterness is counter productive. People just tend to despise what they do not understand.
    !

(well I need at least five characters, though I thought that the exclamation point really spoke for itself).

Heh. That would be ironic too since Dostoevsky criticizes that exact behavior in Crime and Punishment through Raskolnikov.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Desolation and Pollopicu, I believe that these few sentences would be a fine specimen of Pollopicu's feelings of superiority.

Why should I (decent person) have to adopt a stepford-like mentality in order to have inner peace, while these people (trash) go on with no cares in the world, affecting my peace, my life? That's flabbergasting.
    As I understand there is a large degree of difference between the term 'decent person' and 'trash', hence the tone of sovereignty.

I understand feeling left out or alienated, but will never understand others being deemed as trash or filth. This verbage implies the need of disposal.
    Last edited by Mariamosis; 10-02-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    -Mariamosis

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    R e m i n d e r

Please keep in mind that we are here to discuss the ideas, not the people.

Further personal/inflammatory comments will be removed.

_
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    R e m i n d e r

_
    Are you trying to tell me that avatars get in the way of personal relationships too? Or are we twins for the month?

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    R e m i n d e r

Further personal/inflammatory comments will be removed.

_
    Thank you!
    -Mariamosis

Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    Your objections to my arguements and beliefs are not more valid simply because you claim to empathize with me. Nice try.
    If you believe so much in trying to "understand" people before judging them, then obviously you're not practicing what you preach because you took the first opportunity to jump down my throat and call me ignorant. Yet I can't call people trash. That's pretty hypocritical, don't you think?
    You claim my revolution is selfish, but the trash of the world gets to go out and live their life with total disregard for those around them, and you don't call that selfish? and I'm being accused of being selfish simply because I'm standing up against it.
    I don't just sit here on forum complaining about how screwed up the world is without doing more than my share to actually help change it. Every action of my existence is dedicated to help make the world a better place. It's just hard when you have the trash, and people like you who defend trash. It's like swimming up stream. Obviously I hit a nerve, so it makes you wonder.

Merely an example. Pseudo intellectuals tend to view their knowledge of literature (which generally extends only to a few very well known authors, such as Dostoyevsky.) as something that separates them (and it's impossible not to note the implication of superiority here) from the 'herd'.

I sincerely hope by the way that your listed age is not accurate.
    Pseudo intellectuals...and Dostoyevsky.

Obviously you're exhibiting superiority behavior just by the post above. You have it in your mind that anyone who reads Dostoyevsky does so to pretend to be smart. To be quite honest with you, I haven't even read Dostoyevsky yet. I just bought two novels withing the past 2 weeks to read within the next month. Unlike you, I'm reading Dostoyevsky for the same reason I have read any other novel. I think you're exposing the ugly inner insecure part of yourself more than you're attempting to expose of mine.
    Maybe you should put your precious Dostoyevsky down for a minute and check yourself. You're not that smart, sweetheart. Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    What is this filth you're talking about? I'm half heartedly disappointed that I live in such a classy country that practices human rights and has a mostly reliable government. When I walk through my neighbourhood, I see people that have used the advances in civilization to be happy and to live stable lives. To be sheltered and fed. To find love and to be healthy. I have nothing to fight for. Everyone's happy. Everyone watches tv.
    haha, where do you live? In the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariamosis View Post
    Desolation and Pollopicu, I believe that these few sentences would be a fine specimen of Pollopicu's feelings of superiority.

As I understand there is a large degree of difference between the term 'decent person' and 'trash', hence the tone of sovereignty.

I understand feeling left out or alienated, but will never understand others being deemed as trash or filth. This verbage implies the need of disposal.
    Yes, disposal!! I love that idea.
    Last edited by Pollopicu; 10-02-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    "So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales!There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS--OTHER PEOPLE!"
    — Jean-Paul Sartre (No Exit: A Play in One Act)

Banned

Pseudo intellectuals...and Dostoyevsky.

Obviously you're exhibiting superiority behavior just by the post above. You have it in your mind that anyone who reads Dostoyevsky does so to pretend to be smart. To be quite honest with you, I haven't even read Dostoyevsky yet. I just bought two novels withing the past 2 weeks to read within the next month. Unlike you, I'm reading Dostoyevsky for the same reason I have read any other novel. I think you're exposing the ugly inner insecure part of yourself more than you're attempting to expose of mine.
    Maybe you should put your precious Dostoyevsky down for a minute and check yourself. You're not that smart, sweetheart. Not yet.
    No I don't have that in my mind, it was simply an example. I don't want to continue this conversation with all you "misanthropic", "society hating" fourteen year old boys and girls. However I would like to state that when I was thirteen years old I did the exact same thing on forum boards. I think that being able to post somewhat intelligently (though in my opinion very ignorantly) implies a good level of general intelligence; and for what it's worth I think that when you're a few years older and finally wash your hands of these ideas you will be a very well reasoning individual. Good luck.

I never claimed to be particularly intelligent, by the way.
    Last edited by wat??; 10-02-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast