View Poll Results: Cancer Ward

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

1 33.33%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

1 33.33%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

1 33.33%

Thread: Cancer Ward

Vera incessu Patuit dea

Thumbs up Cancer Ward

Cancer ward is an engaging novel about various men in various stations in life suffering from cancer in the heat of the russian revolution.One of the men is a government official, another a poor laborer, another still a sick yet ambitious young man. All of the 8 or so men in this ward suffer from some kind of tumor which is characterized by the hopelessness of their attitudes. Three women doctors due their best to cure the men, suffering themselves from ailments. This is an engaging book. Sad yet intruiging and full of political significance. I found represenative of the exclusive style in which Solzhenitsyn writes. A great book.

Coming up for Air Return Journey's Avatar

A Great Choice

For me, Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward, was one tough book to read.
    The characters are preoccupied with their own suffering with little sympathy for one another, which is kind of understandable under the circumstances!
    But, as you learn a little of each of their backgrounds, you begin to see something of the hardship of life in Communist Russia. The camps, exile, families torn apart, shortages of everything. People having to decide whether to make a stand on what they know to be true or compromise to save their families.
    I think this is a book people might not like to read but I think they should. This is not just about the past but confronts us now with how we choose to live.
    It's a brilliant book and well worth reading, though it may leave you feeling a little uncomfortable.
    "I said some words to the close and holy darkness, and then I slept." Dylan Thomas

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I should read this one.

I remember my father reading it when I was 6 or 7... Probably there is still a copy at my parents'.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I am very interested in this book now... I'll have to check it out.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I've read A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch by Solzhenitsyn which I found fascinating. I struggled with The Gulag Archipelago as there was a lot of details about the show trials, but I was much younger when i read it. (I struggled more with the word Archipelago at the time as I'd never heard it pronounced. I pronounced it ar-chip-el-ar-go - which is hilarious in a yorkshire accent).

I was aware of cancer ward, but had forgotten about it. I'll watch out for it again after your review.