17 4.07%
  • None of the above

22 5.26%
Page 12 of 132 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs. Creation

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Exactly Stan....

So, I think there's a posibillity that one day Dyr and AP change their minds sometime in the future about these evolution and divine being things....

But I'm just wondering, is it only cause the age problem???? Seriously, can't you give something better than that???? Or age is the ONLY reason that you can give to explain about the professor's conversion???

I mean the prof was an atheist for almost his entire life, and suddenly the thought of death scares him alot or perhaps suddendly, he experieced some nerves breakdown, then he converted....I mean is that all????
    Last edited by subterranean; 04-06-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    D'oh
    This man was an atheist for long years and he's an intellectual, so you think he just suddenly stunned and said..."OH THERE'S A GOD...".....

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Darcy
    My personal opinion is that this professor was so stunned by the diversity of the microcosmic world, so amazed by the intricate workings of DNA, that he decided that something must have created them - which is certainly untrue. With a bit of logic you'll realise that it would take forever and ever for any god, infinite or not, to put together this very intricateness. No human or godly design could ever make this. This is natural phenomenon.

Blog Entries
    maybe he found God through the Grace of God? A revelation.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Yeah, ok Stan, Sub, I never meant to imply that secular media were anymore trustworthy than 'specialty' media, and in fact, my post addressed that very issue of 'media bias'. All I'm saying is that someone may have obviously tried to use the Prof. as a progaganda ploy, and in fact as I reread the quotes reportedly made by the prof I note how easy it is to frame a question so as to get a certain slant with the answer.

And I would never begrudge anyone believing whatever they want, whatever makes them feel good ! It is all good. The Prof has the right to believe whatever he likes, and more power to him!

But really, one's age cannot be discounted as a catalyst, as age is a good reason, if not a driving force, of change to one's perspective. It is not an unlikely occurence (aging=rethinking a position) nor is it a 'simple' solution to a complex question. Time changes us all, waning days occupy the mind with speculation about death, what is it like? will I know I'm dead? do 'I' just stop? At 81 years old a person has already outlived many if not most of your friends, family, perhaps even some of your children.

Perhaps the Prof. had a revelation. Yes, perhaps.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Agree with you there baddad. I posted that excerpts not with the intention to defend one party, just merely trying to "throw" a discourse..What happened to someone, eventhough that he's a professor, can't be generalized to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    And I would never begrudge anyone believing whatever they want, whatever makes them feel good ! It is all good. The Prof has the right to believe whatever he likes, and more power to him!.

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    Exactly Stan....

So, I think there's a posibillity that one day Dyr and AP change their minds sometime in the future about these evolution and divine being things....

But I'm just wondering, is it only cause the age problem???? Seriously, can't you give something better than that???? Or age is the ONLY reason that you can give to explain about the professor's conversion???

I mean the prof was an atheist for almost his entire life, and suddenly the thought of death scares him alot or perhaps suddendly, he experieced some nerves breakdown, then he converted....I mean is that all????
    Most "recant" stories in the news are just propaganda anyways to further the cause of religion in other people. So that they might stop and think, "See, even I can change someday to find the truth." Or some such idealistic thinking towards such concepts. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but to be fair, you don't hear many stories about people deconverting too often in the mainstream.

A person's reasons for changing their beliefs about a topic such as gods means only anything to the person in question, very rarely has it anything to do with why I believe or how I will in the future. Many people grow up and lose gods, others gain them. That's life, we all cope with it in different ways.
    To think is to blog is to distract is to stop is to destroy is to die is to think therefore I am not good enough

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Don't you think this is a two way street? Like an atheist professor 'sees the light', a religious person can also realise that his/her beliefs are not satisfactory anymore and become an atheist/agnostic etc... None of us know how our future expriences will affect us.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Indeed.............

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    .. None of us know how our future expriences will affect us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    Don't you think this is a two way street? Like an atheist professor 'sees the light', a religious person can also realise that his/her beliefs are not satisfactory anymore and become an atheist/agnostic etc... None of us know how our future expriences will affect us.
    Well, I thought that was assumed, but so be it: Yes it's a two-way street and I didn't meant to imply anything other than that, though I can only comment on what I've seen.
    To think is to blog is to distract is to stop is to destroy is to die is to think therefore I am not good enough

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyrwen
    Most "recant" stories in the news are just propaganda anyways to further the cause of religion in other people. So that they might stop and think, "See, even I can change someday to find the truth." Or some such idealistic thinking towards such concepts. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but to be fair, you don't hear many stories about people deconverting too often in the mainstream.
    Most news stories in the media have been exceptionaly anti christian. I have seen alot of anti-christian propoganda, I am not sure where this pro christian propoganda that you speak of is.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Just look in the UK press. We constantly get articles, letters and opinion columns defending the existence of religious schools; the incitement to religious hatred bill; the loss of family values due to loss of religion; etc etc.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Blog Entries
    Well, atleast here in Canada, where I am, the newspapers are very anti christian

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Maybe they are making up for all those centuries of aggressive persecution of dissent against Christianity
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Blog Entries
    Maybe they are a bunch of narrow minded loud mouths who persecute one group for no reason other than hatred for that group.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

If you were a scientist and you wanted to make a new life form, how would you go about it? If you were the life form created, how would you define your existence? Evolution vs creation is a fruitless subject, since the evidence on both sides can point to one side or the other. The one question you should ask your self is; which is more profitable to you? That there is a God who loves you and wants you to be with Him for eternity? or your just a big bag of dirt and when you die you will return to the earth and your existence will end.