View Poll Results: 'Lord of the Flies': Final Verdict

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

6 12.24%
  • *** Average.

3 6.12%
  • **** It is a good book.

14 28.57%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

26 53.06%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: February '05 Book: Lord of the Flies

dno wot 2 rite here so hi xCHARLii3x92x's Avatar
    I think its a really sad, coming of age book. i love all the charecters (even roger lol) and just love the plot. Its weird trying to write all the thoughts that are running through your head down.. it gets confusing.
    Ralphs the best!!

dno wot 2 rite here so hi xCHARLii3x92x's Avatar
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...732#post245732
    go on and add your peice of the story x

Prologue to the Lord of the Flies

I have a question that probably nobody will know. Here it goes anyway. Why did the boys' plain crash in the first place. I'm pretty sure it was shot down but why? There have been numerous reasons why the plane was even in the sky in the first place:

A:Field Trip
    B:Escape Britan because of an atomic war

I don't know which one is right, or is either one is. If somebody knows why the plane was up in the sky, and or why it was shot down, it would be deeply appreciated.

If anybody also knows what school in England these boys went to, that would be great too. (I'm sure nobody knows this)

I loved the book despite its slight faults. The story at times lent itself a bit sparse, and hard to follow the thoughts of things at times.
    Though I liked how all of his characters if spoken with an accent had an inflection in their speechs on the page. The democratical society, fascism, or in this case feudalism rearing its ugly head.
    What I absolutely hated though was the fact that I had been expected to anaylze this, and analyze that, to form my opinions on the microcosm of a socio-political world. (This sort of stuff is not only boring, but in most cases will sour someone on a book.)
    I honestly spent less than two weeks reading the actual book.

Some questions to ask :)

hi, everyone! i m new here.
    juz drop by to ask a few questions.
    below is a passage extracted from the book, and i hav a few questions to ask.

Laughing, Ralph looked for confirmation round the ring of faces. The older boys agreed; but here and there among the little ones was the dubiety that required more than rational assurance.
    ‘He must have had a nightmare. Stumbling about among all those creepers.’
    More grave nodding; they knew about nightmares.
    ‘He says he saw the beastie, the snake-thing, and will it come back tonight?’
    ‘But there isn’t a beastie!’
    ‘He says in the morning it turned into them things like ropes in the trees and hung in the branches. He says will it come back tonight?’
    ‘But there isn’t a beastie!’
    There was no laughter at all now and more grave watching. Ralph pushed both hands through his hair and looked at the little boy in mixed amusement and exasperation.
    Jack seized the conch.
    ‘Ralph’s right of course. There isn’t a snake-thing. But if there was a snake we’d hunt it and kill it. We’re going to hunt pigs to get meat for everybody. And we’ll look for the snake too…’
    ‘But there isn’t a snake!’
    ‘We’ll make sure when we go hunting.’

(a) With reference to this extract, comment on the relationship between the older boys and the ‘littluns’ at this stage in the story.
    (b) To what extent are the older boys responsible for the tragedy that occurs shortly after this extract?

thank you very much

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Here is a game based on Lord of the Flies:

http://nobelprize.org/educational_ga...ing/index.html
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

"Lord of the Flies" is one of my favorite novels. My dad gave me a copy of this when I was very young, about 10 or so, but I never got around to reading it. But then, I read it in high school and loved it. The novel is obviously a social commentary. I won't go into great detail so as to not spoil the book for anyone, but I think that it is clearly allegorical.

I read Lord of the Flies about 6-8 years ago back when I was in High School...I should re-read it again...as of now, I cna't remember it other than that I did enjoy it!

three main causes of fear in LOTF

i am trying to do a project on this book for school...
    i have to answer some questions and i was wondering what the three main causes of fear was in the lord of the flies book

Lovewood & Time
    Lord of the flies its a good recreation of a social community, I mean , this book clearly expresses the way a human enviroment goes on; the monster they say the see its their religion, they need something invisible is wich to fall in; its kind of a personal comfort state; thats why they offer or put the hogs head in an empty and desolate space.

Also they get leaders, like alwasy; in every society something has to take in the pirvilege or the responsability of guiding ; we and they need it to not fall of control.

Blog Entries
    I read this book, because I had too. I didn't care for it, BUT I can appreciate it! I found the writing a bit tedious and slow. Although Golding created some beautiful scenes that exploded in my mind. I also thought the character development of the two main protagonists was engaging.

I would like everyone's opinion on the following questions! Thanks!
    LORD OF THE FLIES-WILLIAM GOLDING

1. What was the main point of view of the book?

2. What was the main tone of the book?Explain

3.What was one of the themes of the book? Explain.

4.Aha! moment while reading the book?

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by (PiggyFan!!!) View Post
    I would like everyone's opinion on the following questions! Thanks!
    LORD OF THE FLIES-WILLIAM GOLDING

1. What was the main point of view of the book?

2. What was the main tone of the book?Explain

3.What was one of the themes of the book? Explain.

Maybe you could offer some of your ideas regarding these questions first. . . .perhaps a discussion will follow.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by (PiggyFan!!!) View Post
    I learnt what "to pull someone's leg" means from this novel.

(At the very beginning one of the boys teases Piggy)
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

In case no one mentioned this yet, Golding said he used school boys as his characters because

1. Children were more likely and quick to fall into savagery when put away from civilization.
    2. Boys were also more likely to fall into savagery than girls.
    3. Golding didn't want girls to be mixed in with the boys since sexual drives/romance would occur, and that would get in the way for his goal to demonstrate evil in humanity.
    4. He grew up as a boy himself, so he actually understood how little boys may act. He didn't want to display the girls incorrectly.

Roger missed Henry because his sense of civilization kept him from hurting Henry. There was an invisible force that kept him from being able to hit Henry. "Yet there was a space round Henry, perhaps six yards in diameter, into which he [Roger] dare not throw. Here, invisible yet strong, was the taboo of the old life. Round the squatting child was the protection of parents and school and policemen and the law. Roger's arm was conditioned by a civilization that knew nothing of him and was in ruins." (chapter 4).

I'm not sure what else some of you are troubled with. I only understood much of the book because I was excellently taught at a class, but you could go around reading analysis websites if you'd like, since they tend to have pretty accurate analysis's.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast