Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Libraries, In Or Out?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Libraries, In Or Out?

I am a member of my local library and almost always get the books I read from there (along with videos and DVDs, cards and other things available to support them).
    I am a great believer in recycling and try not to be a book hogger. I buy the books which I really like and would like to see in my personal library;and I am very choosy about that In the past, bookworms like ourselves are expected to be regulars of libraries but these days this doesn't seem to be case and I really wish more people visited them.

Do you visit your local library?
    What are the things you like/dislike about libraries?
    What would make you use your library?

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Librarian who is trying to adverise! Just a book lover who believe in Library Power!
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 11-05-2004 at 04:20 AM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Libraries?
    Of course.
    Libraries rock.

Oook. And perhaps one of these

The only thing I dislike about libraries that they are so empty - I want to read a certain book and it's not there.

Oook. Oook.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

My local library is very small too but if I am looking for a particular book, they will check other libraries for me and order it. It arrives after 3-4 days.

They even have a website where I can check the availability and pre-order books to save myself a trip
    ~
    ~

Ever Benevolent and Wise

I love our local public library and university library, lots to do and get there for free.

They have an extensive collection of videos and dvds, like all the biography channel's biographies, public television documentaries and the like, foreign films and of course feature films.

They also have their online accessible databases so you can check to see what they have online and reserve books online, very handy.

Do you borrow the books you are reading from there?
    ~
    ~

Ever Benevolent and Wise

Yes, very often if it's a newer book, I will read it from the library first.

If I really like it and know I will read it again or want to add it to a collection (I collect various authors' books, like someday I will have all of Margaret Atwood's for instance) I will then buy it from a secondhand bookstore. Many of the books they have there are virtually `like new'.

I've just been turned on to the library. A couple of weeks ago I needed to get a book for a reading group on *gasp* another forum, I knew I didn't want to buy it and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be crazy about the book so.....I went to the library, I can't believe I haven't gone sooner!!!! You can read a book FOR FREE!!!!
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by den
    I love our local public library and university library, lots to do and get there for free.

They have an extensive collection of videos and dvds, like all the biography channel's biographies, public television documentaries and the like, foreign films and of course feature films.

They also have their online accessible databases so you can check to see what they have online and reserve books online, very handy.
    I agree..it's the same here Only that there's no university library here.

I visit my local library all the time. It's very useful too, for school etc. And they've got lots of great films (and CDs, but I don't usually borrow those..no particular reason for that though)..
    Last edited by Tori; 11-05-2004 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    I really support the library, I spend alot of my time there, whether it be the campus libraryu or one of the public library. I find it is a cheep way of getting to read books that I otherwise never would have heard about or would not bother to purchase. I have taken to grabbing a book at randome and reading it. I never realized how many unsung novels and texts there are.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

The movie collections are quite good at my library. During sporting events, eg Football Championships etc they have special offers too (Hire 1, Get 1 Free or everything for £1) which is excellent.
    ~
    ~

I go to the library all the time though each time I need to resist the temptation to check out a book. (Too much reading for my classes already. )
    You're just another bastard.

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    libraries are great because

1. you don't have to buy the books
    2. in my state, the local library can borrow from any library in the state
    3. if they don't have it, they will find a way to get it for you.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

My city seems almost overly-packed with libraries and giant bookstores. The local county library, however, proves worth bragging about, consisting of four marble stories and free, fairly peaceful, concerts every Saturday afternoon. In finding material, whether for leisure reading or researching, it has never let me down.

a tiny little place called Earth, my corner of the universe and beyond
    i miss my high school library it was so cozy and bright with a whole curved wall made of those glass bricks..... and even if it wasn't the biggest there were corners one could curl up too and comfy tables iwth nice chairs to work at and few computer but thats becuase it was righ tnext to the computer lab... here in collece i worked at our library once, study work, i work there twice a week for a total of five hours a week for work-study and its so hard and cold and theres like just slits in teh walls for windows and the books are plenty but just not as appealing arranged so their forbiddning and mean.....
    "It all comes down to what we make of ourselves, eh?"
    -The Fairy Godmother

"Sing on, poor souls! The night is short, and the morning will part you forever!"
    - Uncle Tom's Cabin

fated loafer
    All the best attributes of libraries have been said and arent to be disputed, but the little libraries are rather irksome here, they don't have many translated works.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast