Thread: Harper Lee's Mockingbird and Racial Responsibility

Harper Lee's Mockingbird and Racial Responsibility

Okay, so I'm at roughly 50 pages. I am unsettled with this novel's use of the word "nigger." I know that this novel is set in the 1930s in Alabama, but I find the author's lack of commentary on the usage of this word to be unsettling. I'm not sure if she later makes her position on this usage clear or not. I'm reading this novel because its one of the ones that are included on the canon of high school literature. It is one of the novels that we (America's educational institutes) teach the future of our country. With this in mind, I wondered if people think that if the term is used during a period, authors should stay with the historical context, use it and not reflect on its appropriateness. Or should authors make commentary that reflect our current understanding of its ignorance?
    litjunkie
    -reader and writer-
    www.litjunkies.com/booktalk

Well Gone with The Wind is written in the 1930s though is set in the American Civil War, and the word nigger is used a little in it, but its an insult towards black people. I think they use darkie predominantly instead. I dont remember To Kill a Mockingbird well since its been a while since I read it, but I thought the word nigger was used by black people in the book towards other negroes?

Anyway, I dont think it matters much, I studied To Kill a Mockingbird in grade 10, at age 14, and it didnt bother me or my class at the time.

Someone once advised me that "patience is a virtue." Alas, it strikes true again. I've come to the point where Atticus is discussing the trial and see now that Harper Lee does take a position on the word "nigger" and all the atrocities that go with it.

I also really like the way that Atticus interacts with his children. I think that the children do call him by his first name both as a manner of respect and equality. I (being a major potty-mouth) particulary like the way that he deals with Scout's experimenting with vulgarity. He seems to handle it in a very mature way that allows the children to grow with their own experiences and experimentation while all the while he challenges them to live up to a specific standard and follow specific expectations.
    litjunkie
    -reader and writer-
    www.litjunkies.com/booktalk

I have to say that I studied this book for year 11 English, and it was one of the only books we've studied at school that I've actually enjoyed thoroughly.
    I love how the book takes a situation that was common in the 1930's and uses it to express many issues relevant today, racial prejudice, family life, social outcasts, etc.
    I particurlary loved how you got to watch the children as they grew and evolved into adulthood, particurlary Jem.
    You said I killed you...Haunt me then.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book. I have never studied and read it only after watching the movie, out of curiosity. And don't know how many times I have read it since. I love the way the book deals with many universal and timeless issues, without hiding behind big words and without complicating the matters further. Seemingly about children who grew up 1930s and experienced racism through first experience, the book deals with so much more. Equality (between races, genders, classes), prejudice, moral dilemmas, good vs evil are just some I can remember right now...

I think I will read it again soon
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Registered User The_Anachronist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimee
    I have to say that I studied this book for year 11 English, and it was one of the only books we've studied at school that I've actually enjoyed thoroughly.
    I love how the book takes a situation that was common in the 1930's and uses it to express many issues relevant today, racial prejudice, family life, social outcasts, etc.
    I particurlary loved how you got to watch the children as they grew and evolved into adulthood, particurlary Jem.

I read it for G.C.S.E English too! I really enjoyed it...up until I read this post I had forgotten just how much the way Atticus teaches his children appealed to me. I think Harper Lee did an amazing job of creating such a relationship and I think the way the characters are built and demonstrate groth and insight as the nivel progresses is simply stunning.

Hope you enjoy reading the rest of the novel litjunkie!
    "Times are hard for dreamers"

"The past is a reality that exists just beyond our reach"

First off, in my opinion... this is one of the greatest novels of all time.

But to answer your initial question (litjunkie), you have to really understand this book in context.

It was written in the late 50s, just before civil rights and racism was really addressed in this country. The use of the word "nigger" was most likely still commonly used in the south. However, I do not believe Harper Lee is using this word in order to degrade Afrcian Americans. Nor do I think she is being insensitive by not addressing its use. In the 50s, they did not give it's usage nearly the attention we give it in today's schools.

For the context of the novel, it holds historical accuracy. It also challenges the reader's morals. Maybe even in the 50s, it made people uneasy to hear it. It definitely does in today's day and age. So perhaps, we should be applauding Harper Lee with the insight to write about such a relevant and poignant topic, that we address even still today.

If anything, I would suggest Harper Lee is celebrating and providing support for African Americans in this novel. Perhaps the use of the word "nigger" is a real life paradox, but I imagine, it's use makes the book that much more powerful. Don't forget, Harper Lee made Tom Robinson a tragic hero. Or a victim of his environment. But his characterization was built in the deepest of respects.

In the 21st century, opening high school students to the experience of this book can be confusing and even traumatic. It's typically left up to the responsibility of the teacher to appropriately set the stage for reading this piece of literature. He or she must remind the students, that in today's society, the use of this word should not be tolerated, nor will it be tolerated in class. But rather, it properly represents history. And by understanding that, we can learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by litjunkie
    I also really like the way that Atticus interacts with his children. I think that the children do call him by his first name both as a manner of respect and equality. I (being a major potty-mouth) particulary like the way that he deals with Scout's experimenting with vulgarity. He seems to handle it in a very mature way that allows the children to grow with their own experiences and experimentation while all the while he challenges them to live up to a specific standard and follow specific expectations.
    I feel that the fictional character, Atticus, may answer your question best, litjunkie. ShoreDude I agree with, in that, since the novel first developed before the Civil Rights movement, I think perhaps racial slurs had an increasingly more casual feel, sadly. Though I would never advocate good for using racial slurs, I feel that Atticus plays the role in which the use of such terms seems unjustifiable and relatively degrading, which, I may see, could cause his character solitude from his other Southern townspeople. Interesting question.

African-American

To substitute 'nigger' with 'African-American' would sound stupid. Mockingbird is a "slice of life" at a particular time in a particular place. People need to know how things were. I guess a notice at the front of the book saying "the publisher and author wish to refute any accusations of racism by the use of the word 'nigger' in this book - we intend to show how people were in the 1950's South" would be o.k. I, myself, would take it as an insult to my intelligence.

I agree. I think that for the book to be an absorbing an realistic read it needs to be true to the attitudes of the time, and at the time the citizens of Maycomb wouldn't have thought it wrong to call black people 'niggers'. If the word had been changed to another owrd I don't think that it would have been as believable. also it is important as the main topic of the novel is racial injustice, so the author must demonstrate 1930's attitudes to the black community.
    You said I killed you...Haunt me then.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Words are power. Fifty years after this book is released a poignant and relative discussion continues on this very forum. Shock, dismay, confusion, and in someways a sense of ugliness/evil, all stemming from the use of a single word, still reverberate within those astute enough to strive for meaningful social change. In an increasingly stubborn world I cheer to find thus-minded souls. The author intended you to care, wanted to drag the ugliness into to the light where it could be shamed and destroyed. This intent, and its success, is one of the keys to this great piece of literature.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    Words are power. Fifty years after this book is released a poignant and relative discussion continues on this very forum. Shock, dismay, confusion, and in someways a sense of ugliness/evil, all stemming from the use of a single word, still reverberate within those astute enough to strive for meaningful social change. In an increasingly stubborn world I cheer to find thus-minded souls. The author intended you to care, wanted to drag the ugliness into to the light where it could be shamed and destroyed. This intent, and its success, is one of the keys to this great piece of literature.
    Very well put, baddad!