View Poll Results: 'To The Lighthouse': Final Verdict

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 5.00%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

1 5.00%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

8 40.00%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

10 50.00%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer '07 Reading: 'To The Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Thanks! This seems interesting, ain't sure if I like that though - character's mind wandering here and there, but this surely seems real. I think I have not read many books consisting of this before.
    I'm not sure I'm going to like it much either. I don't mind first person writing, but this seems to be a whole different deal altogether. I'm not sure I want to follow along wth someone's though process. Mine is confusing enough most days, and I am wondering if I am going to find that Woolf's doesn't make any sense to me. I've recieved my book, though, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhockenberry View Post
    I'm not sure I'm going to like it much either. I don't mind first person writing, but this seems to be a whole different deal altogether. I'm not sure I want to follow along wth someone's though process. Mine is confusing enough most days, and I am wondering if I am going to find that Woolf's doesn't make any sense to me. I've recieved my book, though, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Yes, this can be a problem. Like this:

I have to sleep. No I have to eat. Eat what? Why shan't I drink rather than to eat. Yeah, the drink Mother poured for me three days ago was just amazing. Mothers are wonderful things, aren't they? Oh Miriam's mother has died. I shall better go to her place and try to help her through such a difficult time. I shall also die one day after all. I am sure Sara is not going to come on even my death day! She is such a oh well many people in this world are self centred bad bad world. I think I have forgotten to take my tea. The glass in which Huma poured the juice was beautiful.

I wouldn't be interested in reading that! But I neither think it would be much like this (it's just an exaggerated version perhaps! ). Hope it would be interesting. *goes off to proceed from the third page*
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Just to clear things up on stream of conscious, a great writer just doen't write whatever comes to mind. There is purpose to what he chooses and makes it appear like it's random thoughts.

Let me also add that I don't believe Virginia Woolf writes in pure stream of conscious like Joyce does in parts of Ulysses. Woolf, and I think this makes her writing so different and original, interweaves third person narration (limited view) with a stream of conscious narration, so that one is not completely in the mind of the character and yet know their thoughts.
    Last edited by Virgil; 06-28-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharphedin2 View Post
    Hi Janine. I really look forward to re-reading To the Lighthouse, and will have to, in order to contribute meaningfully to any conversation on Woolf or this particular novel. I think the biographical elements in To the Lighthouse are generally recognised; I also think that most of Woolf's other fiction substantially draws on her personal life, and the personal life she did not have, but imagined that she would have liked to have had (if that makes sense). What I do remember is that the Stephens family did own a property in the Hebrides where To the Lighthouse takes place, and the makeup of the Stephens family did correspond relatively closely to that of the novel.

Hi Scharphedin,
    thanks for the explanation. Was the Stephens family Woolf's immediate/biological family? I read a short biography in Literature Online ages ago and can hardly remember now what I read. I believe they did mention this aspect of her life with the family going on vacation every summer, and also her father taking along a student. Where exactly is Hebrides? The film I saw shot the shore scenes in Scotland - very impressive. I read "To the Lighthouse" about 2 yrs ago and liked it, although I have some trouble reading stream-of consciousness-style authors, unfortunately. I think her 'long run on sentences' seem to be a problem for me personally; my mind tends to wander away on it's own. I realise the book is not 'plot driven' but I liked it very much. I like the central ideas of the book and I very much am interested now in discussing it. I also, have a film version done by the BBC, which is quite well executed and accurate to the book.

Basically my acquaintance with Woolf is based on 2-3 weeks of vigourous reading, and I admit that to me at this point Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and The Waves bleed together in memory -- if what memory I still have of these books serve me right, they are also quite similar in style, whereas the others I read -- Orlando, The Common Reader, A Room of One's Own and Between the Acts did not quite employ the same fragmented style (stream-of-consciousness) - Common Reader and Room of One's Own not being fiction at all, in fact. The biographies I read (concurrently with these books) were Quentin Bell's Virginia Woolf: A Biography and Lyndall Gordon' Virginia Woolf: A Writer's Life. Both were good, although I remember being most taken with the former, as it was written by her nephew and (not surprisingly) had a more personal feel without sacrificing good scholarship.
    Well, that reading list is quite impressive – I commend you! I also have to say your articulate and expressive manner of writing is very impressive. I so enjoyed reading your last post and especially can relate to your enthusiasm for an author; I am the same way with D.H.Lawrence. I have tried to read everything he wrote and now plan on reading my 4th biography. The more I learn about him, the more I want to know. I suppose it has become an obsession, but at least it is a worthwhile one.

The biographies you listed on Woolf sound very enticing. I may have to explore those someday, in the near future. I always find learning the backgrounds of the authors completely benefical to understanding their work. It is one more valuable tool in delving into their deeper meanings and understanding just why they write/think as they do. Also, thanks for being so helpful in categorizing Woolf’s novels – I may be interested in “A Room of One’s Own” someday soon, although “The Waves” has been on my ‘to read list’ for sometime.

As you remark, Woolf's ability with language is singularly beautiful -- it will sound clichéed, but certain passages almost read like prose-poetry. The hard part for many readers, I imagine -- and, especially if reading these books for school -- are the analyses of these long passages, where thoughts, and emotions, and events from the lives of several characters and different times flow together. Personally, I am not really good at this kind of analysis (or, all that interested), chosing instead to surrender to intuition at some point along the way, and letting the work and the words of the author carry me, not necessarily needing to intellectually comprehend every paragraph. The insight into the author's life on the other hand interests me, and maybe that takes the place of hard academic analysis for me. In any event, it will be fun to read along with the forum in this manner, and hopefully I will be able to contribute more along the way.
    Not clichéd at all, but true that certain passages do read like ‘prose-poetry, or at least they do to me. I think this is one attraction I do have to this author – she paints vivid pictures with her words. You know I had not even thought of analysis, when I first read this book. I only thought of flowing through the book or being ‘swept away’ in the currents of her writing. I would imagine a second reading and this group discussion will be much different. I know in viewing the film version, I have often tried to figure out parts of the story and interpret them on my own. A discussion will shed much light on what I have thought about for sometime. I am the same way, usually my strength lies in the investigation and delving below the surface and into the authors life and the relationship it has to his/her work.

In closing, I return the compliment, Janine. I have read parts of the Women In Love thread, and I am impressed with the level of insight you, and several other forum members, have into the novel, and Lawrence's body of work and life in general.
    Scharphedin, Thank you emensely for this compliment. It is so good to know that others are reading the posts, and appreciating them, perhaps learning from them as well. I have been told by other people on Lit Net that they too, are following the Lawrence discussion groups.
    I know “To the Lighthouse” will be a great discussion group. It is starting out wonderfully enthusiastic!
    Last edited by Janine; 06-29-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Just to clear things up on stream of conscious, a great writer just doen't write whatever comes to mind. There is purpose to what he chooses and makes it appear like it's random thoughts.

Let me also add that I don't believe Virginia Woolf writes in pure stream of conscious like Joyce does in parts of Ulysses. Woolf, and I think this makes her writing so different and original, interweaves third person narration (limited view) with a stream of conscious narration, so that one is not completely in the mind of the character and yet know their thoughts.
    Thanks for clearing this up a little. I'm still not really excited about the book, but the fact that I have a copy and plan to participate at least means I'm willing to give it a shot. I am very selective about the books that I read written in the first person. I'm just starting to see how selective I am. I never paid attention to the fact that if I pick up a book and begin to see "I" and "me" I generally just put it back down.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for clearing this up a little. I'm still not really excited about the book, but the fact that I have a copy and plan to participate at least means I'm willing to give it a shot. I am very selective about the books that I read written in the first person. I'm just starting to see how selective I am. I never paid attention to the fact that if I pick up a book and begin to see "I" and "me" I generally just put it back down.
    mkhockenberry,
    Even though I now enthustically endorse To the Lighthouse, it was not the easiest book to immerse myself in, and it took a little time to get into the rhythm of her writing, it is only the second of her books I've read, the first being Mrs. Dalloway.
    It is well worth the time though.

Although, as I wrote earlier, much of Woolf's fiction sprang from her own experience, these are not "I" novels. In fact, as I remember it, Woolf's writer's stance is mostly quite omniscient.
    We were the Leopards, the Lions; those who'll take our place will be little jackals, hyenas; and the whole lot of us, Leopards, jackals, and sheep, we'll all go on thinking ourselves the salt of the earth.
    ~ Giuseppe Di Lampedusa

I agree, nothing like Ulysses or The Sound and the Fury. I found to the Lighthouse frankly tedious to read, but only because I knew what the examiners would expect us to write on...as I read it. *Sigh* All those feminine subject positions. Admittedly I am no great fan of her books generally.
    "Dear predatory birds, prepare for war, prepare your children... Test art, morality, custom, thought by Thermopylae... Love war because of its horror, that belief may be changed, civilization renewed"- William Butler Yeats

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenDuchess View Post
    Admittedly I am no great fan of her books generally.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Okay, I have read a little bit. Can't find anything immensely interesting. I see there are hardly any dialogues in it, very few. The main focus seems to be on the descriptive writing yet. The descriptive writing seems to be quite good though, that's also a reason I am keeping up with the novel. There are not many, as I call it, 'happenings' in the novel yet, very little action there seems to be.

Perhaps it would get a bit faster later, it's just the start after all that I am reading. I am tending to be very slow while reading it, so not to miss anything. Reading it like a course book!

Blog Entries

I'm not actually a fan of the stream of conscious way of writing. I've studied The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy last year..and I hated it, to say the least. Call me dumb, but I had to re-read many parts just to understand what was going on. But Virginia Woolf is a must read for me, so I'm hoping I won't go through the sam suffering again...lol
    Last edited by Nossa; 06-29-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Perhaps it would get a bit faster later, it's just the start after all that I am reading. I am tending to be very slow while reading it, so not to miss anything. Reading it like a course book!
    Pensive -- Not specifically relating to Woolf, but also relevant here. I think you should just read the book. Read it like anything, and try to just let the words on the pages, the images carry you. If you do not catch absolutely everything, you will have your friends here in the forum to help clarify, and, in fact, there is a good chance you will actually "miss less" by reading it the way you would read any other book. By forcing yourself to read slowly, and treat the book like a course book, you will irritate yourself, and ruin what enjoyment you possibly could have from the book, and by doing so also take less with your from your reading.

Someone smart about reading once told me that it is better to read a book fast twice, than to read it slowly once. Personally, I still am not a fast reader, but I do try to pace myself, and, if anything, I do feel that I retain more of what I read.

(Pensive - I hope that did not sound smart or condescending; it was not meant to. Just sharing advise and practises that have been helpful to me)
    We were the Leopards, the Lions; those who'll take our place will be little jackals, hyenas; and the whole lot of us, Leopards, jackals, and sheep, we'll all go on thinking ourselves the salt of the earth.
    ~ Giuseppe Di Lampedusa

Blog Entries
    Someone smart about reading once told me that it is better to read a book fast twice, than to read it slowly once. Personally, I still am not a fast reader, but I do try to pace myself, and, if anything, I do feel that I retain more of what I read.
    Well, why not read it slow twice. Someone even smarter just said that.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenDuchess View Post
    I agree, nothing like Ulysses or The Sound and the Fury. I found to the Lighthouse frankly tedious to read, but only because I knew what the examiners would expect us to write on...as I read it. *Sigh* All those feminine subject positions. Admittedly I am no great fan of her books generally.
    Look I'm no raging feminist (quite the contrary) but i think Woolf's feminism is a question of fairness to women and an understanding of thier point of view, which because most of literature prior to her day was predominantly male and lacked that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Looks like Scher's got a brand new set of smilies. I like them Scher.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Someone even smarter just said that.
    You have company over there?

(You know I am just kidding, Virgil. Just couldn't resist it )
    Looks like Scher's got a brand new set of smilies. I like them Scher.
    On behalf of my smilies, thank you!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Pensive -- Not specifically relating to Woolf, but also relevant here. I think you should just read the book. Read it like anything, and try to just let the words on the pages, the images carry you. If you do not catch absolutely everything, you will have your friends here in the forum to help clarify, and, in fact, there is a good chance you will actually "miss less" by reading it the way you would read any other book. By forcing yourself to read slowly, and treat the book like a course book, you will irritate yourself, and ruin what enjoyment you possibly could have from the book, and by doing so also take less with your from your reading.

(Pensive - I hope that did not sound smart or condescending; it was not meant to. Just sharing advise and practises that have been helpful to me)
    No, it's okay. Actually, thanks for taking the time to advice. And oh you don't seem as if you are trying to be condescending.

Actually, like most of the books I read, I am not merely reading it out of just enjoyment but also because of some of the themes in it like feminism (people say it deals with that) or 'stream of consciousness'. I am really curious about how it deals with that. It's not like I have to put a lot of thought on it after completing one or two pages, on the other hand I am trying to be careful so that I don't leave anything. A single sentence can have any reference to the theme in it. Heh that's making me more and more careful.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast