Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does alcohol go bad if contained in a plastic bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    "Many are unaware of poisoning caused by re-using plastic bottles.

Some of you may be in the habit of using and re-using your disposable mineral water bottles (eg. Evian, Aqua, Ice Mountain, Vita, etc), keeping them in your car or at work. Not a good idea. In a nutshell, the plastic (called polyethylene terephthalate or PET) used in these bottles contains a potentially carcinogenic element (something called diethylhydroxylamine or DEHA). The bottles are safe for one-time use only; if you must keep them longer, it should be or no more than a few days, a week max, and keep them away from heat as well.'

Don't know if it's just fals alarm or not .......

That maybe the case for reusing with other types of liquids. At work my boss ordered a trial of one of those ultra purifying water systems. And everytime I and other coworkers refilled my water bottle it had a weird taste. It was said that the water was ultra pure and that it was potentailly leaching out some of the impurities in the plastic.

Bossman asked salesperson to remove the system, poor thing asked if she could demonstrate the purity of the product and talk to us about why we needed this system. Poor girl didn't realize there were a bunch of chemists (not me) not impressed by the pH and volt meters she brought. They went easy on her but the bottom line was that we didn't need or want that system.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    "Many are unaware of poisoning caused by re-using plastic bottles.

Some of you may be in the habit of using and re-using your disposable mineral water bottles (eg. Evian, Aqua, Ice Mountain, Vita, etc), keeping them in your car or at work. Not a good idea. In a nutshell, the plastic (called polyethylene terephthalate or PET) used in these bottles contains a potentially carcinogenic element (something called diethylhydroxylamine or DEHA). The bottles are safe for one-time use only; if you must keep them longer, it should be or no more than a few days, a week max, and keep them away from heat as well.'

Don't know if it's just fals alarm or not .......
    Pure urban legend. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make containers for food and drink out of known carcinogens.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

On one of the talk shows they did a test of plastic bottles. Specifically reused water bottles. I think they found 5 randon people at a gym and asked them how/if they clean the bottles before reusing and asked if they could test their bottles for bacteria. The only one that came back within limits (I don't remember what agency specified the limits) was this woman who cleaned her bottles by adding a tiny bit of dish soap to the bottle, rinse with the hotest water her hands could stand, then air dried the bottle completely and ran the caps through the diswasher. All the rest of the bottle came back with very high bacteria counts.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Well I do recycle my bottle for a few days, never more than a week... bottled water is not cheap, considering that you use it every day (it's almost the only thing I drink, except at breakfast or when I happen to buy juice. I also ran out of tea )

I think this is the best topic ever. The title makes me giggle every time I see it. I want Fango to be member of the week for the next 6 months at least!
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Pure urban legend. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make containers for food and drink out of known carcinogens.
    Great job Cuppa in straightening that out. Now this is related to the fear of microwaving food in a plastic container. I've heard that also is carcinogenic. Is that true?

Edit: I found it myself: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

Son-of-a-gun. I've been avoiding microwaving in plastic ever since I read that somewhere. And admonishing my wife.
    Last edited by Virgil; 04-18-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I would imagine that if the plastic container is marketed as microwave safe (as Tupperware and all other such containers are), microwaving it should be generally non-fatal
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine that if the plastic container is marketed as microwave safe (as Tupperware and all other such containers are), microwaving it should be generally non-fatal
    Agreed, the only concerns I have heard is regarding the use a soft low quality plastic such as a margarine tub, as even the results for these have shown no definable link (at least when I last looked at the data.)
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Great job Cuppa in straightening that out. Now this is related to the fear of microwaving food in a plastic container. I've heard that also is carcinogenic. Is that true?

Edit: I found it myself: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

Son-of-a-gun. I've been avoiding microwaving in plastic ever since I read that somewhere. And admonishing my wife.
    Oh sorry you guys. I edited my post before you posted and found the info. You probably didn't notice my edit.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    It's a good bet that if the FDA lets you store food and drink in it, it doesn't contain carcinogens.
    - Gertrude Stein

- Virginia Woolf

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    But odd about supposedly microwave safe tubs? they are allways melting on me or changing colour ...So now its glass or nothing for me as I cant afford to keep buying contatinors
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Oops, sorry for the late reply. I actually poured it all away... it was too disgusting... I ended up giving up on alcohol and quitting my ANNOYING job which made me drink in the first place. Thank goodness I'm in a much better place now. No more vodkas for me.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback...glad it somehow spurred a discussion

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fango View Post
    I ended up giving up on alcohol and quitting my ANNOYING job which made me drink in the first place.
    May I ask you what your job was?

I am considering a career change...

~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Heh, I was an English tutor in Wall-Street... you're underpaid and promote a system where people pay thousands to use a software all day long. You end up being tech-support more than a teacher... wasn't worth it. I might start private tutoring here in Israel soon, though...

I can see the relation to the vodka).

I agree with Koa, best topic .......

Glass or Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    oops... I knew there was a reason I started throwing them out Id just forgooten about it oh well glass tastes better anyway.
    Glass, most certainly tastes better. I purchased Bacardi in a plastic bottle once. ONLY ONCE! That plastic taste ruined the rum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast