Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Film Discussion

Blog Entries
    Well yeah it's more than just a comedy, it definitely has some deep routed connections with teenagers at the time (and now), you can see this in all the characters, worries and problems about the present and the future, about sexuality and love, about friendship, it's actually a very complete film/movie/cinema/talkie/moving picture show .
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by bluevictim View Post
    I recently bought The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I really liked that movie. I thought it was hilarious, and it had some really touching moments. I really loved the acoustic performances of David Bowie songs in Portuguese by Seu Jorge; I thought it was perfect for the atmosphere of the movie.
    Yeah, "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is one of the best recent films. Wes Anderson is a very good director, I prefer his older film "Rushmore" though.

Anybody here seen or even heard of Jonathan Caouette's autobiographic documentary "Tarnation"? I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in cinema, I'd rate it as one of the most important films of the last ten years.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    Oh yeah, Ed Woods. Gosh, I have never seen that movie but it is like an urban legend of bad movie making.
    Whereas Burton's Ed Wood is fine indeed.

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Haha. It wasn't just the movies that were odd in the 80's. The thing is, since it has been 20 years, the fashions of the 80's are due for a comeback. I haven't seen Porky's. Something tells me that I needn't lose sleep over that fact. I wonder what the quintessential 80's movie would be. Maybe Top Gun?
    i can still remember the girls in the theatre going wild during the volleyball scene to Top Gun. the movie seemed to draw far more females than jocks from what i recall at the time, but still received mediocre reviews. Cruise's love interest in the film was terrible.

quintessential 80s flick would probably go to The Breakfast Club, also known for its most quoted script. but my vote goes to The Last American Virgin and Valley Girl (starring Nicholas Cage). Back To The Future is up there too.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Blog Entries
    The thing is, since it has been 20 years, the fashions of the 80's are due for a comeback.
    I think the 80's fashions are back in a way -- maybe updated a little but I keep seeing these little teeny boppers wearing leggings under skirts and sweaters cinched with belts. I seem to remember big belts being a big thing in the eighties. I don't know if the weird perm will make a comeback, but I do see tight jeans and furry boots....
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    Personally, I can't stand big hair. The leggings are actually ok. Remember when leg warmers were "in" again for about a month?

There aren't many 80's movies I like, but Aliens is my favorite movie of all time. I can watch that over and over and not get tired of it! Funny, my mom introduced me to it; it's her favorite movie too, that and Predator. But she also loves Pretty in Pink, so it all balances out.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    I think the 80's fashions are back in a way -- maybe updated a little but I keep seeing these little teeny boppers wearing leggings under skirts and sweaters cinched with belts. I seem to remember big belts being a big thing in the eighties. I don't know if the weird perm will make a comeback, but I do see tight jeans and furry boots....
    Hey I was your's and Higley's age in the 80's. I lived with all that. At least from the male point of view.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Hey I was your's and Higley's age in the 80's. I lived with all that. At least from the male point of view.
    Sorry I missed that .
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries
    Yah, but do you want to live through it again? Kidding. Actually, according to my mother, the 80's was the worst thing to happen to the ozone layer.

Virgil, your new nickname is AquaNet.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higley View Post
    Yah, but do you want to live through it again? Kidding. Actually, according to my mother, the 80's was the worst thing to happen to the ozone layer.

Virgil, your new nickname is AquaNet.
    Why worst thing to ozone? And why Aquanet?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    quintessential 80s flick would probably go to The Breakfast Club, also known for its most quoted script. but my vote goes to The Last American Virgin and Valley Girl (starring Nicholas Cage). Back To The Future is up there too.
    There is a highly accurate way to settle this: by Google Fight!

So, here are results for the nominations so far for quintessential 80's movie (keyword: "X" movie):
    Top Gun 1,210,000
    Wall Street 1,580,000
    The Breakfast Club 738,000
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High 502,000
    The Last American Virgin 41,200
    Back to the Future 1,300,000
    Valley Girl 277,000
    Aliens 1,840,000
    Predator 1,690,000

It looks like Aliens wins.

Another 80's movie I loved was Better Off Dead. Two Dollars!
    Optima dies ... prima fugit

Quote Originally Posted by Mark F. View Post
    Yeah, "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is one of the best recent films. Wes Anderson is a very good director, I prefer his older film "Rushmore" though.

Anybody here seen or even heard of Jonathan Caouette's autobiographic documentary "Tarnation"? I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in cinema, I'd rate it as one of the most important films of the last ten years.
    I haven't seen Rushmore, and I haven't even heard of Tarnation.

One scene that really sticks out in my mind from Life Aquatic is when Seu Jorge is singing Space Oddity while the pirates come from behind. For some reason I really liked the effect.

Blog Entries
    Why worst thing to ozone? And why Aquanet?
    Hairspray! Lots and lots of it. I think AquaNet's one of the brands that essentially converts your hair into an army helmet you could crack a bottle on. Fess up Virg, did you have big hair?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higley View Post
    Hairspray! Lots and lots of it. I think AquaNet's one of the brands that essentially converts your hair into an army helmet you could crack a bottle on. Fess up Virg, did you have big hair?
    Don't you mean "Virgy"? I was so happy when they came out with a pump spray for AquaNet. Helmet hair and ozone safe.

What is the most disgusting film that you guys couldn't even sit through? I saw 10 minutes of Blood Sucking Freaks and well, freaked out. Just nasty.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    What is the most disgusting film that you guys couldn't even sit through?
    Hmmm... The only movie I didn't sit through that I remember was "Scream". It wasn't because it was too disgusting, though, I was just really tired and I fell asleep. I do seem to recall some gross scenes at the beginning.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast