View Poll Results: 'East of Eden': Final Verdict

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 3.57%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

2 7.14%
  • **** It is a good book.

4 14.29%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

21 75.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Summer Reading: 'East of Eden' by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutGrace View Post
    Do the figures need to be from American history?
    No, but that seemed the most likely scenario.

It's fun to inquire, however . . . I am awfully curious. That, and, I think that knowing who the men were in real life would add depth to the passages for me . . . if indeed they are based on actual individuals.
    It definitely would lend depth to the reading, but I, unfortunately, do not have the answer :gasp of shock:

I thought that the incident with the German tailor Mr. Fenchel was very touching, and I felt quite terribly after reading it.
    Do you have a chapter # for me? I can't find it. Want . . . to. . . . participate. . . .grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    I am a little world made cunningly
    Of elements, and an angelic sprite; - John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth Girl View Post
    Do you have a chapter # for me? I can't find it. Want . . . to. . . . participate. . . .grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry. It's a few pages into chapter 46 in my edition.
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

I just found it. . .thanks.
    I'm glad I read it again. I had forgotten that section, although it underlines another theme: race and perception. Mr. Fenchel's story and those tied to it serve as a nice, but small counterpoint to Lee. No one is trying to get Lee now, but imagine what his plight would be like during WWII. Just as no one figured out that the tarred Polish person was not German, so, too, Lee might be mistaken and made to suffer for the crimes of a nation. Human nature wants a scapegoat for the world's ills, and they will go to the "other", the outsider, to find it.

Almoooooooooooossssssssttttttt Dooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeee!

Okay, am back from vacation and done with the novel. I find the notion of "thou mayest" interesting in light of the fact that Adam may not. . . everything he does is fated, unlike Caleb and Aron. For example, when Adam is discussing Charles' will with Lee, Lee tells him that he will inform Kathy because he CANNOT do anything else. Toward the end of the novel, one gets the sense that Adam is caught in a stream of events and every action he takes is dictated. This serves as a counterpoint to Caleb. Every major action he takes is by choice, again emphasized by Lee. He chooses to behave in a right or wrong manner, he chooses to wallow in his guilt, etc. That is Adam's final blessing, as well as his final curse - Caleb has the freedom to act that Adam never had.

I have had this book on my to read shelf for 12 years. I cant wait to start it. I am half way through One Hundred Years of Solitude. This is my mothers all time favorite. I really have not established an opinion as of yet. Jean

For example, when Adam is discussing Charles' will with Lee, Lee tells him that he will inform Kathy because he CANNOT do anything else . . . . . Every major action he takes is by choice, again emphasized by Lee.
    What do you think of Lee? He was definitely my second most favorite character . What is he, like the facilitator or something?

Quote Originally Posted by jbassett View Post
    I have had this book on my to read shelf for 12 years. I cant wait to start it. I am half way through One Hundred Years of Solitude. This is my mothers all time favorite. I really have not established an opinion as of yet. Jean
    Well, I can't wait until you do. Be sure to come back and post your thoughts and opinions here whenever you get a chance!

Lee is my favorite character in the entire novel. I think he represents wisdom, and I also think he serves as a counterpoint to Samuel. He was also a source of wisdom, but that of a prophet, of otherworldliness, whereas Lee represents the wisdom of man, the wisdom of the ages. That is, I think, the purpose of his tales involving consulting the elders. . . he is a font of knowlege built upon the knowledge of the past, whereas Samuel seems more intuitive.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I still do not have a copy of the book! If the library does not deliver its promise by Wednesday, I will order it from amazon!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Bad library! Love the new avatar, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I still do not have a copy of the book! If the library does not deliver its promise by Wednesday, I will order it from amazon!
    You must. The book is certainly worth a read!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

. . . . everything he does is fated, unlike Caleb and Aron.
    Sorry to take you out of context.

I thought this was funny, at the very end of part two, when Lee, Adam and Samuel are naming the children (or rather, Lee and Samuel convince Adam to name his children ), it reads :

" . . . well, Aaron I've always liked, but he didn't make it to the Promised Land."
    The second boy almost joyfully began to cry.
    "Thats good enough," said Adam.
    Here, then, does Steinbeck equate "thou mayest" and conquering your fate with the "Promised Land"? (whether in a purely Biblical sense or not?)

I also didn't realize that the foreshadowing was that blatant.

Also, why do you think the words "almost joyfully" are placed? Does it mean anything?

Lee is my favorite character in the entire novel. I think he represents wisdom, and I also think he serves as a counterpoint to Samuel. He was also a source of wisdom, but that of a prophet, of otherworldliness, whereas Lee represents the wisdom of man, the wisdom of the ages. That is, I think, the purpose of his tales involving consulting the elders. . . he is a font of knowlege built upon the knowledge of the past, whereas Samuel seems more intuitive.
    That's a great way to say it (and also describes why Samuel slips ahead of Lee for me ).

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    You must. The book is certainly worth a read!
    Then, I am glad I nominated it.
    ~
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutGrace View Post
    Here, then, does Steinbeck equate "thou mayest" and conquering your fate with the "Promised Land"? (whether in a purely Biblical sense or not?)
    I also didn't realize that the foreshadowing was that blatant.

Also, why do you think the words "almost joyfully" are placed? Does it mean anything?
    IIf I remember correctly, AAron was the first priest to come out of Egypt, and was the right hand of Moses. He was a flawed being who did not reach the Promised Land due to his turning away from the truth. (Please correct me if I am mistaken, I am going from memory here).
    In some respects Aron is not AAron - Not only is his name spelled differently, but by his struggle to escape the notion of being predestined, he breaks the cycle implied by his name. By accepting the truth of "thou mayest" he does not choose to believe himself a product of his heritage, but accepts the responsibility of choice and thus may reach the Promised Land, the second Eden.
    I took "almost joyfully" to refer to the fact that the noise Aron makes is a cry, an expression of discomfort or sadness or anger. It creates a tension and lends a significance to the act. . . Aron cries for joy, or acceptnace of his name, not from any bodily need. Also, I think it implies that he accepts the challenge of his name and its implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I feel so spoilt now! Not only did the library delivered the book today, but also when I got home in the evening, I found a brand new copy of the book waiting for me... as a gift! Who says men are predictable? I think they can be unpredictable in the sweetest and most considerate way!

I will start reading it tomorrow hopefully and try to catch up with you guys asap!

PS: Which copy should I read do you think; the library's or my own?
    ~
    ~

Your own, definitely!
    I have a plan: attack!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast