Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Prayer?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

What is Prayer?

What is a prayer? What purposes does it serve to (if any)? Why do you (not) pray? What good (if any) does it make?

Disclaimer: These questions are not directed at followers of one particular belief but in general to find out why and how people (do not) pray.

Please do not turn it into a 'which religion is superior?' debate!
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-06-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    That's an interesting question. I'm not religious; but I do believe in prayer. Is that strange?
    For me, prayer is just a putting into words deep desires, hurts or pains, and a wish for direction. I guess I'm praying to my inner self. Funny thing, if I'm actually driven enough to 'pray' this way, my life usually does change in a positive way. Is it a miracle? Or angels watching out for me? To me, it's just the mysterious power of the human mind.
    I can't wait to see what everyone else says about this.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchet "The Truth"
    William found that he now thought of prayer as a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms.
    Just about sums up my view.

Well, the dictionary says this:

a. A reverent petition made to God, a god, or another object of worship.

b. The act of making a reverent petition to God, a god, or another object of worship.

c. An act of communion with God, a god, or another object of worship, such as in devotion, confession, praise, or thanksgiving

I suppose that's perhaps what the purpose of prayer is for any religion that prays. Some religions meditate too, which is in a way very much like prayer. Some religions, like mine, see prayer as the time for us to speak to God/gods/higher-being. Scientists have researched prayer, noticing that certain parts of the brain are active during prayer that are usually dormant when awake. I'm not sure of the specifics, hope I didn't say anything wrong.

So, you could be communicating with a higher being, or for those that don't believe in that you could be consulting with your subconcious or inner-self. Take your pick, I wont' debate that.
    "A hidden connection is stronger than an obvious one."

Heraclitus

Blog Entries
    I pray for healing of myself and for others whom I know also do not know. I only ask for guidance and healing for me asking anything else is not appropriate for me to ask for. That is my personal belief though and I do believe in the power of prayer.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 02-06-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    It might be proper to distinguish between private prayer and public prayer. Prayer in public has as much to do with establishing and maintaining social groups as about communion with God. It may or may not also have the same causes and effects as private prayer.

"What is a prayer?"
    I think private prayer is about the expression of feelings, of the kind that we express to other people, in situations where we have those feelings but do not have other appropriate people.

OK - that sounds daft -

example 1 - if you see a bit of fine craftsmanship, you may be filled with admiration and, were she present you would praise the craftswoman; if you see a fine tree, you still have the same feeling of admiration, but there is no craftsman - nonetheless, you may still utter (or think) words of praise.

example 2 - if you are given a present, you may feel thankful, and you may say thanks to the donor; often enough, you may feel thankful for something, but there is no human donor - nonetheless, you may utter or think words of thanks.

example 3 - sometimes you cannot manage on your own, so you ask for help from a person; other times, you may have the same feeling of need, but there is no person to ask - you may, at these times, still utter or think words of pleading.

example 4 - if you hurt someone you may feel guilt or sorrow, and may say that you are sorry; but sometimes you have the feeling of guilt when there is no individual that you have harmed - you may still, in this situation, express words or thoughts of sorrow and apology.

So, prayer is expression of feelings of, for example, praise or thankfulness or pleading or guilt when there is no human person to be praised, thanked or asked or apologised to.

"Why do you (not) pray?"
    Putting feelings into words is a normal human activity. We express feelings through words. When we feel a need to say "I'm sorry" or "Well done!" or "Thanks!" or "Help!" we say it. When there is no human to say it to, those who believe in God say it to God. Those who don't believe in God still say it. It is as natural to us as eating.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar
    Prayer, in my opinion, is a concerted effort to communicate one's feelings, wishes, and desires to a higher power in the hope of a favorable result. I think prayer, no matter who it is to or what it is regarding, can be beneficial when sincerely and correctly executed. I myself choose not to believe in prayer because I feel it is a self-coaxing mechanism which is many times used to take away responsibility from individual actions. "I prayed to God that I would do well on this test, so I'll be fine even though I didn't study." So, what happens when you get your grade back and get a 60? You say, "God, you let me down. I prayed, right? You didn't help me out!" Well, that's actually your problem to prepare, not some higher power's obligation. Of course, it's God's fault you failed, not you...Does everyone see my point here? Not all prayer is used in the manner that I have just described it, but it is abused enough so that I believe it is corrupted beyond repair.
    Name? Dissent is my name, and it is I who plagues the realm of tranquility in this tangible world which we call life. My identity is that which articulates the nature of my personality. Therefore you may call me dissent. Ahhh the amusement of the intellectually blind! The splendor of those who speak but know not! How the folly of human views have perverted the truth, such a melancholy tale is this! No, there is nothing left now. Merely the remnants of dark clarity.

Blog Entries
    Hello xxxdarkclarityxxx your example there although not how I would use prayer for showed me that God did not let that person down but the person let themselves down. Praying to pass a test is not what one should do but study as you well know. I have found prayers are answered but the answer is not always what we expect the answer to be. I pray for healing and if the healing is given then I am happy but if it is not then I have to accept that. Because it may be the person's time to go and that may sound lame but I truly believe we each are given what was meant to be given. My path changes for one second to the next because a new element is entered onto my path. I may not be here tomorrow or I may be here for another 50 years who knows but living the journey is well worth it. When I pray for healing of others in hope they may have a less painful life. Positive thoughts cannot do any harm in my opinion.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

What Prayer is?

Prayer in any forms is the basic human need to fill the spiritual gap inside of a persons heart. To achieve closeness to God/Gods, and to pour out their earthly problems, and experiences to him/them, and to feel a oneness with him that they have not felt since their intial abscences from him/them.

In essence it is a form to touch the creator/creators of the universe, when we need comforting/advice, and an opening to pour out all of our successes.

What it means to Christians?
    Christians accept God as creator, and Christ as saviour. Thus in times of need, sorrow, pain, joy, and peace. Christians lift their spirits up to God/Christ so that Christians may divise methods, or knowledge of how to solve there earthly problems, and commmunicate their joy to the creator of whom they have brought themselves close to through faith.

Does prayer work?
    Not for selfish, or humanistic reasons. It does not do to pray, "God I want billions of dollars, all for myself." That is not how prayer works. Prayer works through the unselfish asking of things, or the lifting up of others.
    That way Christians fundamentally follow the teachings of Christ because their minds are always on the wealthfare of not just themselves, but those around them.
    Prayer for me has always worked. God/Christ has always given me the things I've asked for, even if it took a while, and wasn't what I expected it to be.
    Prayer isn't constant gratification, but if one prays to God constantly and methodically, never letting the object of the prayer leave their mind, that prayer is almost always answered.

As for those that will say, what about people who die when prayed for why didn't God save them?
    A man is not born a moment before he is born, nor does one die a moment before they should.
    If a Christian dies, then who amongst the church should concern themselves with it? There death is but a re-unification with God.
    If anyone in any other religion dies, should they not be pleased that the person was chosen at that time for God/ The Gods will?

And for those outside the Church/religion who claim atheism and deny the existence of God.
    What rights to they have to question Gods removal of a life, if they don't acknowledge Gods existence?
    To say, "why does God let people die," then go "I don't believe in God," is nothing more than pure Hypocrisy, and shows that person to be a fool.

As for those true atheist who do not believe in Gods existance, than why should they worry about this question? Since there is no god in their minds, then prayer is a impossibility, and thus that person was meant to die regardless of any religious intervention.

Thanks have a wonderful day.
    Shizz.
    Last edited by Theshizznigg; 02-08-2006 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Short Addition/ slight adjustments

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I used to pray when I was really young, but I began to get the feeling that I was just talking to myself. In fact I can remember the exact point in my life that I started to lose belief in a higher power, I was 12 and my best friend died of Pneumonia.
    Around then I came to a conclusion: either
    a) Stuff just happens, there is no greater force controlling things.
    or
    b) There is a God but He does things the way he intends to and all the praying in the world wont change that.

I've gone another 12 years and pretty much settled on the belief that a) is correct.

And Shizz, you can think me a fool for feeling that if you like. Your opinion of me really is insignificant.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile
    I used to pray when I was really young, but I began to get the feeling that I was just talking to myself. In fact I can remember the exact point in my life that I started to lose belief in a higher power, I was 12 and my best friend died of Pneumonia.
    Around then I came to a conclusion: either
    a) Stuff just happens, there is no greater force controlling things.
    or
    b) There is a God but He does things the way he intends to and all the praying in the world wont change that.

I've gone another 12 years and pretty much settled on the belief that a) is correct.

And Shizz, you can think me a fool for feeling that if you like. Your opinion of me really is insignificant.
    Binngoooo!!!!
    Name? Dissent is my name, and it is I who plagues the realm of tranquility in this tangible world which we call life. My identity is that which articulates the nature of my personality. Therefore you may call me dissent. Ahhh the amusement of the intellectually blind! The splendor of those who speak but know not! How the folly of human views have perverted the truth, such a melancholy tale is this! No, there is nothing left now. Merely the remnants of dark clarity.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theshizznigg
    And for those outside the Church who claim atheism and deny the existence of God.
    What rights to they have to question Gods removal of a life, if they don't acknowledge Gods existence. To say, why does God let people die, then go I don't believe in God is nothing more than pure Hypocrisy, and shows that person to be a fool.
    As for those true atheist who do not believe in Gods existance, than why should they worry about this question? Since their is no god in their minds, then prayer is a impossibility, and thus that person was meant to die regardless of any religious intervention.
    Theshizznigg,

To begin with, there are religions other than Christianity and there are many forms of prayers. There are many people who consider their own meditations 'prayers' even though they do not believe in any one particular religion.

I think the questions regarding 'God's removal of a life' is 'Why does God (if there is one) favour one prayer over another (if prayers work)?' to be accurate.

As a final note, please do not resort to personal attacks and name calling during discussions. If you don't like certain member's posts and/or debates, feel free to ignore them.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Cool Fuzzy Pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    Theshizznigg,

To begin with, there are religions other than Christianity and there are many forms of prayers. There are many people who consider their own meditations 'prayers' even though they do not believe in any one particular religion.

SHG
    Good for them, I was refering to prayer applicable to Christianity, not Zionism, Atheism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Occults, Meditationism, Humanism, etc. I didn't leave these religions out, but only lightly touched on the subject since I don't know much about certain religions religious beliefs or values.

I think the questions regarding 'God's removal of a life' is 'Why does God (if there is one) favour one prayer over another (if prayers work)?' to be accurate.

SHG
    I do not know the reason why God picks one over the other, or why God favours certain people. That is a question only God his self could answer.

As a final note, please do not resort to personal attacks and name calling during discussions. If you don't like certain member's posts and/or debates, feel free to ignore them.
    SHG
    I realize that there are other religions outside of Christianity, hence I wrote that those who are of religions should not feel grief when a loved one dies, because it was the will of God/ the gods that that person should join them.
    I know the many forms of human religion, both occultic and non and have often said that I respect these religions, I have never denied that there are any other religions, I have merely alway answered my questions from a CHRISTIAN perspecting, that is to say because I am a Christian and those are the religous values/beliefs we are taught.

Aside from that I appreciate your view. And it is not name calling to point out that an Athiest who believes in the existence of God is not a true Athiest, its is factual truth, since Atheism is the religion of no god.

"I am not infallible, only God is infallible since nothing is beyond his understanding."
    Shizz
    Last edited by Theshizznigg; 02-08-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theshizznigg
    And for those outside the Church who claim atheism and deny the existence of God.
    What rights to they have to question Gods removal of a life, if they don't acknowledge Gods existence. To say, why does God let people die, then go I don't believe in God is nothing more than pure Hypocrisy, and shows that person to be a fool.
    Those people are utilising a logical technique known as reductio ad absurdum to argue their case. It is a valid mode of argument (unlike ranting, which some seem to prefer). Please follow the link, it may enable you to improve your debating style.

Quote Originally Posted by XXdarkclarityXX
    I think prayer, no matter who it is to or what it is regarding, can be beneficial when sincerely and correctly executed. I myself choose not to believe in prayer because I feel it is a self-coaxing mechanism which is many times used to take away responsibility from individual actions. "I prayed to God that I would do well on this test, so I'll be fine even though I didn't study." So, what happens when you get your grade back and get a 60? You say, "God, you let me down. I prayed, right? You didn't help me out!" Well, that's actually your problem to prepare, not some higher power's obligation. Of course, it's God's fault you failed, not you...Does everyone see my point here? Not all prayer is used in the manner that I have just described it, but it is abused enough so that I believe it is corrupted beyond repair.
    When someone prays and expects God to do all the work, that's not how things should be done and it wouldn't really qualify as a real prayer. I've always been taught, you got to meet God half-way. If you want to do well on that test, study for cryin' out loud! You can pray that you will be able to remember everything you've studied but God can't give you the answers to the test.
    Last edited by Green Lady; 02-10-2006 at 04:12 PM.
    "A hidden connection is stronger than an obvious one."

Heraclitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast