Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hated Wuthering Heights

I Hated Wuthering Heights

When I was reading the early chapters of Wuthering Heights I was enthralled by the nice relationship between the young kids Heathcliff and Cathy, but then I hated the novel when the former grew up and became loathsome and vicious. Cathy was not a very sympathetic character when she matures either. The only sympathetic characters are of the second generation who try to be better and improve themselves than their forebears and fall in love with each other. And Heathcliff's son was such a pansy that he was appalling. All in all, I dislike the novel intensely! I hated it so much that I do not want to read Jane Eyre because I fear it will be a waste of time.
    Last edited by Red Terror; 08-23-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

IMV this type of novel isn't about nice people, it's about real people, with emotions and flaws, inconsistent and irrational.

For lovely people, clearly defined bad guys and happy endings I read Georgette Heyer.

What does Wuthering Heights have to do with Jane Eyre ?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    To like Jane Eyre one has to like the protagonist.
    #Stay home as much as you can and stay well

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    I don't like Wuthering Heights and the weird tendency to find Heathcliff attractive by some readers.

And I certainly wouldn't call it primarily realistic, with its ghosts and mythic resonance.

But it certainly is a completely convincing and totally original world view with an extraordinarily complex narrative machinery.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    What does Wuthering Heights have to do with Jane Eyre ?
    Her sister wrote it and I'm thinking that creating terrible characters runs in the family gene pool.
    Last edited by Red Terror; 08-23-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    I don't like Wuthering Heights and the weird tendency to find Heathcliff attractive by some readers.

And I certainly wouldn't call it primarily realistic, with its ghosts and mythic resonance.

But it certainly is a completely convincing and totally original world view with an extraordinarily complex narrative machinery.
    Well, the fact that I hated Heathcliff so much tells you how effective Bronte was in her capacity as a novelist. She is very good in creating believable characters. Still, I hated the novel intensely.
    Last edited by Red Terror; 08-23-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Terror View Post
    Her sister wrote it and I'm thinking that creating terrible characters run in the family gene pool.
    Make sense, Sara Coleridge wrote many poems like The Rime of Anciet Mariner...

I quite liked Wuthering Heights. It was original. It was beautifully written.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    The way the passions are depicted in it is innovative because their force is stronger than the Victorian morality specially if one considers that the author is the daughter of a parson.
    #Stay home as much as you can and stay well

I also had a strong distaste for Wuthering Heights for reasons I won't get into now. But I loved Jane Eyre.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    The way the passions are depicted in it is innovative because their force is stronger than the Victorian morality specially if one considers that the author is the daughter of a parson.
    Stronger and more self destructive than any morality I'd have thought. I'm sure someone has dismissed it as the sado-masochistic fantasy of a sexually repressed spinster, but she sure wasn't repressed in writing WH, although it is a highly controlled work.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Blog Entries
    I'm half way through Wuthering Heights, and have stopped for a break. It is the second time I've read it - I was hoping to like it more this time, but so far I don't.

I have the exact opposite view of spikepipsqueak. The characters are not "real" to me. Ok within the confines of the story they act and behave true to themselves and to the book, they are well drawn in that way, but the behavior they exhibit is implausible in my experience of this real world.

EDIT. Thinking a little further, I think it is that capacity for self-destruction several of them display that rankles with me.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 08-24-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    ay up

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Terror View Post
    Her sister wrote it and I'm thinking that creating terrible characters runs in the family gene pool.
    Translation: Oh, Charlotte Bronte.

Come on, Red, everyone makes mistakes. Fess up and move on.

It has been a long time since I read this book, but I don’t think that the characters, I mean Cathy and Heathcliff, were supposed to be sympathetic. They were interesting and well-written, which was enough for me.

Speaking of Jane Eyre, I think you can give this book a go, Jane is a much more likeable heroine than Cathy unless my memory fails me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast