Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Best book to read by Kurt Vonnegut after Slaughterhouse V?

  1. #1
    Registered User JhKreisler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28

    Best book to read by Kurt Vonnegut after Slaughterhouse V?

    Hi,
    I really enjoyed reading Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut. It's definitely one of my favorite books, because of its unique style and way of combining satrical humor with more serious topics like war.

    I was wondering which book by Vonnegut you would recommend to me to read now, having this in mind?

    Thanks
    Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so. - The old man and the sea , Hemingway

  2. #2
    Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Posts
    7,035
    Blog Entries
    490
    You might try The Sirens of Titan. It is aalso about fatalism.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    breakfast of champions,definitely.

  4. #4
    I absolutely loved Slaughterhouse-Five, but was very disappointed with both Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. So maybe Mother Night or The Sirens of Titan could be something?
    There is hope, but not for us.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,206

    Cool I second Breakfast of Champions .....

    you probably have to be an American and understand the Weaties breakfast serial byline to get the fulll import

  6. #6
    In the fog Charles Darnay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    trapped in a prologue.
    Posts
    2,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    I knew when I saw this thread it would just become a list of all his other books. But I will also throw in my nomination of Sires of Titan, as it's my favourite Vonnegut.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

  7. #7
    Registered User paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    269
    Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my favorite books as well. It was one of the first "serious" books that I ever read, and I only read it because it was controversial, and I was young and rebellious.

    Since then, I've read almost every thing that Vonnegut has published. There's only two or three books of his that I haven't read, and I have to agree with the others that Breakfast of Champions is the next logical choice.

    However, I humbly suggest that you next read Hocus Pocus. I absolutely love this book and while Mother Night is great, as well as Breakfast of Champions, I think you would be prefer Hocus Pocus as you mentioned his unique way of combining humor with serious topics. This comes across brilliantly in Hocus Pocus. Even more so then Breakfast of Champions in my opinion, and Hocus Pocus is more of a contemporary look at society.

    Personally, I didn't enjoy the Sirens of Titans all that much. If you don't read Hocus Pocus next, I would suggest Galapagos (another brilliant work by Vonnegut) or Mother Night. Again, this is all just my (very humble) opinion. So it goes.
    "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

  8. #8
    Registered User JhKreisler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I knew when I saw this thread it would just become a list of all his other books. But I will also throw in my nomination of Sires of Titan, as it's my favourite Vonnegut.
    True, I also knew it would become such a list, but I was wondering which book would be recommended the most so, helpful anyway
    Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so. - The old man and the sea , Hemingway

  9. #9
    Registered User JhKreisler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    you probably have to be an American and understand the Weaties breakfast serial byline to get the fulll import
    Well, I'm not an American, Belgian actually,
    so Breakfast of Champions not the best choice for me as a European?
    Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so. - The old man and the sea , Hemingway

  10. #10
    Registered User JhKreisler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
    Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my favorite books as well. It was one of the first "serious" books that I ever read, and I only read it because it was controversial, and I was young and rebellious.

    Since then, I've read almost every thing that Vonnegut has published. There's only two or three books of his that I haven't read, and I have to agree with the others that Breakfast of Champions is the next logical choice.

    However, I humbly suggest that you next read Hocus Pocus. I absolutely love this book and while Mother Night is great, as well as Breakfast of Champions, I think you would be prefer Hocus Pocus as you mentioned his unique way of combining humor with serious topics. This comes across brilliantly in Hocus Pocus. Even more so then Breakfast of Champions in my opinion, and Hocus Pocus is more of a contemporary look at society.

    Personally, I didn't enjoy the Sirens of Titans all that much. If you don't read Hocus Pocus next, I would suggest Galapagos (another brilliant work by Vonnegut) or Mother Night. Again, this is all just my (very humble) opinion. So it goes.
    Your (very humble) opinion is pretty helpful for me
    Although I have to say, the books by Vonnegut that the two libraries have were I regulary get my books, are unfortunalety rather limited.
    They don't have Hocus Pocus nor The Sirens of Titan nor Mother Night.

    This is the list of books they have:
    After Armageddon and other Stories ; Between Time and Timbuktu ; Breakfast of Champiosn ; Cat's cradle ; That night in Dresden ; Galapagos ; God Bless You Mr. Rosewater ; God Bless You dr. Kevorkian ; Man without Land ; Palmsunday ; Slapstick, or lonesome no more! ; Timequake

    So from this list, I assume I have to go with Breakfast of Champions? Or is the 'not that being familiar with the American-thought/ideas'-issue a blockade?
    (sorry for my rather crappy english)
    Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so. - The old man and the sea , Hemingway

  11. #11
    Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Posts
    7,035
    Blog Entries
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by JhKreisler View Post

    This is the list of books they have:After Armageddon and other Stories; Between Time and Timbuktu ;Breakfast of Champiosn ; Cat's cradle ; That night in Dresden ; Galapagos ; God Bless You Mr. Rosewater ; God Bless You dr. Kevorkian ; Man without Land ; Palmsunday ; Slapstick, or lonesome no more! ; Timequake

    So from this list, I assume I have to go with Breakfast of Champions? Or is the 'not that being familiar with the American-thought/ideas'-issue a blockade?
    (sorry for my rather crappy english)
    Of that collection I would read the short stories; he wrote better short stories than novels for the most part. Of the novels
    Cat's cradle and God Bless You Mr. Rosewater are certainly the best. I have seen a list of his novels with his opinions of them; it is very instructive, but I can't find it right now.
    Last edited by PeterL; 03-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Registered User paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    269
    Well thank you, I'm glad I could be helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by JhKreisler View Post
    So from this list, I assume I have to go with Breakfast of Champions? Or is the 'not that being familiar with the American-thought/ideas'-issue a blockade?
    (sorry for my rather crappy english)
    Oh no, I think that comment was just tongue-in-check. I think you would really enjoy Breakfast of Champions. It really is a great book. Lots of dark humor and deals with some pretty serious subject matter.
    "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

  13. #13
    blehhh i hated Slaughterhouse Five but really enjoyed Cat's Cradle. He was a very flawed figure (his adaptation of Stravinsky's A Soldier's Tale was complete trash), but he was funny sometimes, I'll give him that.
    Talk to me sometime. http://dysfunctional-harmony.tumblr.com/

  14. #14
    Registered User hellsapoppin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    620
    This one's easy: Breakfast of Champions

    ... by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord ... I am now, as before, a Catholic and will always remain so.

    --- Adolf Hitler

  15. #15
    Two Steps Into Exile Shevek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    145
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you appreciated the satire of Slaughterhouse V you will probably enjoy Cat's Cradle. I would argue the latter is a lot zanier, which might not appeal to you if you're simply looking for an emulation of Slaughterhouse V. Vonnegut is more than a dark humorist, so keep an open mind while reading and you'll appreciate the depth of "Bokononism" and the world of San Lorenzo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A Child Called It
    By Mutatis-Mutandis in forum General Literature
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
  2. What should I read if I had nothing to read?
    By s.santa in forum General Literature
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
  3. Review: Science Writing & Philosophy
    By Dodo25 in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •