Thread: On the Objective correlative.

On the Objective correlative.

I came across this thread while doing some research on the Objective Correlative.

I don't quiet understand the link between this concept and Hamlet. A teacher of mine said that Shakespeare was brilliant at "juxtaposing the concrete and the abstract" like for instance when he uses " harrow" a term linked to the earth, to refer to an abstract notion " soul".

Do you think, we can speak of an objective correlative here? There are no clear combination of elements, yet the combination of a concrete term "harrow" and an abstract one "soul" might be considered as a combination of different elements. Don"t you think?

I figured it might as well start a new thread.
    "They walk on the bridge to heaven, and I'm in the abyss of hell"

Quote Originally Posted by kidvisions View Post
    I came across this thread while doing some research on the Objective Correlative.

I don't quiet understand the link between this concept and Hamlet. A teacher of mine said that Shakespeare was brilliant at "juxtaposing the concrete and the abstract" like for instance when he uses " harrow" a term linked to the earth, to refer to an abstract notion " soul".

Do you think, we can speak of an objective correlative here? There are no clear combination of elements, yet the combination of a concrete term "harrow" and an abstract one "soul" might be considered as a combination of different elements. Don"t you think?

I figured it might as well start a new thread.
    I never like Shakespeare, but for the idea of the soul being abstract, I don't think so. Soul and body are concretely the same. The soul in the abstract is a personbality split as I see it.