Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Twitter

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Twitter

Okay, so you may think I'm being really boring about this - but it had me baffled because I didn't really understand what it was or quite how it worked, nor even how to make it work for you, the aspring novelist, journalist, blogger, critic etc

But now I do! And here are a few tips:

Firstly, what Twitter is is a rather advanced instant messaging service, similar to Skype messaging, but with more options. You can have multiple accounts for example, and easily switch between them at the click of a button. (One for family, one for work, one for close friends, one for acqaintences, one for following famous people, one for following ezines, one for following radio programmes etc etc. Or alternately you can have just one or two and have all this come at you in a big streaming mess)

It has a few limitations in the same way traditional messaging has - only 140 characters including spaces, but no expense per tweet, so multiple flow-ons can be achieved cost-free. And by breaking up a longer text into smaller bite-size chunks quite large tweets can be easily accomplished.

But the thing is it helps if you start with an few actual friends in your contact list, and adding more people as they come your way (more on this in a moment)

If you want to be famous on Twitter it is best if you have something to spruik rather than just yourself (which can quickly grow tedious), or latch on to already famous people and pay them compliments and retweet their tweets as to say that you found their tedious self-spruiking fascinating enough that other people may enjoy them. Do this and they will soon be following you, and their sycophantic fans will also be following you as a gesture of how fanatic they really are.

What this means is that ANY article, poem, book, website, etc that you wish to draw attention to will possibly also gain a following. So for example if you start talking glowingly about Litnet say (and why wouldn't you?) and supply a link the traffic will increase along with membership as tweeters do actually become weary of reading and writing tweets, and long for reading a cohesive piece that doesn't require multiple clicks to get the gist of, and probably be considerably more articulate into the bargain.

So there you have it. You've always had a crush on Kylie Minogue or Kevin Bacon (or at least wanted to be within six degrees of them) or whoever, you can now become cyber pals and tweet at each other.

And it doesn't just stop with people, as news organisations, science journals and medical ezines are vying for your attention - whichever and how many you freely sign up for in fact (you can always opt to sign out by the click of a button and you'll stop receiving their tweets if your interests change - but either way it doesn't come at price to be in or out, and there are literally thousand to choose from.

Happy Tweetering

Twitter's okay. I mostly follow book people - authors, publishers, reviewers etc - so I like it because of that, otherwise I would have got rid by now.
    "...You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?..." E. A. Poe

Blog Entries
    Yep. That post was a bit of a finger/brain release. I 'needed' to write something that was more than 140 characters. It should really have been part of a blog rather than a hot topic but, oh well...

Blog Entries
    I joined Twitter recently, and enjoy the celeb stalking and throwing in the odd comment now and again on a trending subject. It is frustrating in a way, like hearing only one side of a conversation.

I first joined when the News International affair was mushrooming, The rich and famous who's phones were hacked were using twitter to get their story out. We tweeters were ahead of the conventional media - we were setting the agenda and bringing down the powerful. It was heady stuff.

Following a few celebs has also been an eye-opener. Take the infamous Footballer Joey Barton. The press had him down as little better than a mindless thug. Wrong! Read his tweets and you see why they don't like him. He took reporters on under the public gaze, exposed them as fools, confronted them with their lies, using a wit and intelligence they couldn't match. He went after them using aggressive and insolent questions (their own tactics) They couldn't mis-quote him or quote him out of context, because we had the direct source. It took away their power all they could do was squirm. They leave him alone now.

That I think is the best thing about Twitter, it cuts out the middle men, you can get your news before the news editors interpret it.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 10-12-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting Pren, and noted.

I've found that by asking the celebs if they're actually reading my 'witty quips' I generally get a reply. Last night I corresponded with Ricky Gervais for about an hour, and then Garry Shandling, and early this morning Jerry Seinfeld - an odd selection of random television comedians, but hey, any port in a storm right? And anyway they were amusing enough.

I really wish I could get Quentin Tarantino - or someone influential - I guess I'll keep twittering away until the cows come home pretend I'm a journalist writing a biographical article or something, see what works.

(Does Ozzy Osbourne count as a celebrity? Him too, if so)

Blog Entries
    I've had a few chats with rugby coaches, columnists and politicians, -oh and Russell Crowe, about Rugby. I mainly use it for information rather than chat.

Blog Entries
    Whereas I use it for self-promotion and giving myself medals

No, I've a few journos hanging on, and a few authors and artists etc, but I want them to entertain me - I mean there's a lot of time involved in 'hooking the bait'

Blog Entries

Twitter.

Any Twitter-ers here?

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not I.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy