Thread: Question About English Homework

Question Question About English Homework

I am going into my sophmore year of high school. For my honors english class, i was assigned to read 3 books from a listing, and write about it. I also have to note 'the significance of any literary elements you notice contributing to your reading of the novel'. But I just have no idea of what literary elements are or what they mean!! C1an someone please help me out?

I'm going to overlook the fact that you're in an honors English class and don't know what literary elements are... But anyway...
    Literary Elements means things like characters, plot, theme, setting, etc. But the question itself is badly worded, so I don't know if it's asking "which elements contributed to you choosing the book," or "which elements were most important to the book itself." It's one of those two, anyway.

I'm too tired to think up an example at the moment. Hope I answered your question.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

fated loafer
    It seems like any book would qualify considering they all have literary elements. Just choose three books that are interesting to you and then find a common element in all of them, for instance how the setting could be like a character in some books, like a haunted house, or you could choose three books that all have a common theme like the broad one of Dystopias: 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaids Tale, A Clockwork Orange, to name a few possibilities.

Ohh, is that what it meant? I don't see anything that suggests they even have to have a common element. *shrug*
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Talking

Ya....I guess he likes to confuse us. Basically I thought he meant something like how the story was written, not about how the settings can relate to the characters or something. I think I am getting it but it is still puzzling. I chose Little Women, A lesson Before Dying, and The Red Badge of Courage for my books. I hope I can pass this now lol!

The Great Damn of Boston. JediFonger's Avatar
    i think all 3 of those have cliff notes and movies... just kiddin... =). don't rob yourself of enjoying them too as that will produce a higher quality paper.
    to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.