Thread: Gardens in literature

Gardens in literature

I'm writing a paper on gardens and I need some examples of stories and poems of great writers about gardens. Who knows some names and stories?

The garden doesn't have to be the topic per se, but has to play an important role.

thank you!

Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales is chock full of gardens. If I remem ber a-right, there's one in "The Man of Law's Tale," "The Knight's Tale," and "The Franklin's Tale." Generally, the garden is where lovers meet, either for the first time or as a rendezvous point.
    Nullus Anxietas

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    The first that came to mind for me...

Burnett, Frances Hodgson. THE SECRET GARDEN, new ed. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 1987. In this classic of children's literature originally published in 1911, 10-year-old Mary comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors, where she discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.

And another

James, Henry. THE ASPERN PAPERS. 1908. Young opportunist uses the neglected Venetian garden of two shy, mysterious American ladies as a pretext to get himself taken in as a lodger and gardener, in order to obtain access to some secret papers which the ladies jealously guard.

There is lots of more reference to garden stories and poetry on this site

http://depts.washington.edu/hortlib/resources/booklists_data/stories.shtml

I think the most famous is 'The Sectet Garden' by F H Burnett, which is the only one that came to my mind immediately... But den mentioned it already, so I'm off to think of more books on the subject.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Andrew Marvell wrote a poem 'The Garden' here is a link, http://oldpoetry.com/poetry/14126

For a long shot, the Anne of Green Gables series focuses a bit on flowers and trees and things, though not necessarily on gardens.
    HwŠt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Ůeodcuninga ■rum gefrunon,/hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing scea■ena ■reatum,/ monegum mŠg■um, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, sy­­an Šrest wear­/ feasceaft funden; he ■Šs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weor­myndum ■ah,/ o­■Št him Šghwylc ■ara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. ŮŠt wŠs god cyning!

There is a little known 18th-century novel called Love in Excess by Eliza Haywood.

Many of the love scenes in that book take place in gardens and, considering the times, they were pretty erotic.

Many of the works from the 18th-century, England to be specific, contained scenes in gardens because they were the place to go socially

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth and her German Garden by Eliabeth von Arnim. It can accurately be described as a 'garden novel" and is a delight to read. There are plenty of online copies available too, including one at Project Gutenberg. She was one of the leading literary women of her day and the book was a massive market success, going into 21 editions!
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

Hii
    dis is my 1st rply aftr joinin THe literature network..
    i stumbld upon ur ques while lukin4 critical analisys of the poem THE GARDEN by ANDREW MARVELL..

hez written2poems on the topic which u can find on wikipedia..

if u get nething on what i want pleas lemme knw
    Last edited by nimi; 01-13-2007 at 04:30 AM.