Thread: I'm Muhammad Zakzouk and this is just an experiment

I'm Muhammad Zakzouk and this is just an experiment

Chapter 4

He had expected to see a young woman, in her twenties, when he entered the sitting room. But he saw, what he estimated to be, a forty or forty five years old woman. Her clothes were cheap, on a skinny body. She was brown-skinned. She sat in a submitting posture looking at the floor.
    She was sobbing with a tissue on her nose.
    "Hello!"
    She had risen her head and looked at him in red eyes then stood up quickly.
    "Hello, mister Adham," she said with a hard made smile.
    He usher her to sit and said with a smile, "Adam. Adam Ahmad. Sit down, please."

She sat hesitantly and he sat in front of her.
    Laila entered carrying tea tray then got out looking at Adam admirably like she wanted to say, "Really, you got a vision".
    Silence prevailed for a minute while she was looking at the floor.
    Adam cleared his throat and said," I didn't get to know your name."
    She raised her head smiling a dim sad smile. "Madiha, Madiha Husain," she said then looked at the floor again.
    Adam was waiting for her to be the one who starts the conversation. It seemed to him there is a struggle inside her.
    Every moment she seemed to start talking, she shut her mouth.
    He thought maybe she is shy about talking with him about her problem. He wanted to make it easy for her.
    " You can tell my wife," he said.
    She raised her head quickly and said with a determined voice, "No, no. I will talk."
    She did a side look. "I will not miss the chance," she said in a low voice as if speaking to herself.

She sighed heartily then started.
    "Mister Adam, I was walking in the neighborhood while my head was about to explode from a great load and a greater complexity. But when I had seen your board on the balcony, I found my legs dragged into her like I found air after long deficiency. I'm a labor in a cheese factory. I live with some female co-workers. A few years ago, seven to be precise, I was working in another cheese factory."
    She squinted recalling what seemed to be bad memories.
    "It was regular until he visited us someday," she said then paused. She seemed to hate even saying his name.
    "Yes," Adam said encouraging.
    " A partner. The biggest one," she said like she wanted to spit.
    On the verge of crying, she continued," That man, his name is Shakir Gad. It was the first time for him since I had worked there, to come and check the factory. They ordered us to work hard and pay attention expecting his visit. He was tough as they said, but he was smiling all the time. I glanced at him coming from afar, putting a hand in his trousers pocket and pointing with the other here and there. He was giving directions to his right hand man who doesn’t depart from him but rarely. His name is Nadeem Mahmood.
    She shook her head in regret, then continued, " My co-workers were talking about him, being rich and handsome. Everyone one them was execrating her bad luck."
    She put her palm on her chin and rested her elbow on her thigh, looking at the floor another time.
    "It was me who had all the luck," she said in a painful sarcasm.
    Suddenly, she sat up straight and continued," When he saw me he forgot anything around. Yes, I can say it with full sureness. What you see mister Adam now is a result to loads and pains. Because of him. My beauty was the at the top, even with work circumstances of sweat and exhaustion. He stood beside me, very close allowing just a tiny gap between me and the machine I was working on. The villain!
    He was motionless with a smile of a man who is confident that he gets always what he wants. I felt suffocated, but what could I do? It's livelihood that I have to gain. Most importantly, he was staring at me silently while I was working. When I was about to stop he said: 'Why? Go on, Go on. You are good. A skillful worker. Aren't you?' The idiot manager came, massaging Shakir's ego saying: "Sure, of course. She works really like a hundred men. Shakir gave him a despising look then said, 'Give her a bonus.' He look at me afterwards smiling and said, 'This is how smart people are treated, huh?'
    He went afterwards, but I didn't fell happy about the bonus. I'm not naive, I have figured it well. That way doesn't aim at a lot of things. But I forgot about it and listened to the comments of appraise and envy too."
    She paused to catch her breath.
    "At night, in the same day, he came. That Nadeem. I have been living with my best friend in a crabby room. When we were having late dinner, we heard a knock on the door. We got scared. No one has come to visit us ever. My friend asked, 'Who is there?!' He answered, 'Open up. Nadeem Mahmood, mister Shakir's assistant.' She opened the door with still surprise. But I was prepared, even though I didn't expect it to bee such fast."
    She looked again at the floor.
    "He entered, seemed to despise the surroundings. However, he had the right to do so. He had tried to sit on something but didn't find anything suitable.My friend said clearly, 'It would be better if you came in the morning, in the factory. We live alone.' He stared at her then said quietly, 'It would be better for me too, smart!'
    He looked at me and said, "My car is on the main road parked by that adult's playground.
    Get dressed and join me, it's important, about your bonus. Come on.' He got out afterwards. I didn't know what to do. My friend said, 'What is that?!' Are they insane or what?' I didn't want to tell her what I have expected. But she is also not naive. She guessed. She said with sheer determination, 'Don't go! He wants you as a concubine!' I was shocked by the term, like it wouldn't represent my situation if I agreed.
    She said, 'Villains.' Me, I was thinking the matter in my head over and over. I said, 'I will get fired.' She said, 'We look for another job. The world is not so small. Don't lose yourself.'
    I'd love I had listened to her. I got up and was dressing. I said, 'I am going, only to know what he wants.' She grabbed my forearm and said, 'You idiot! Don't justify yourself!' But my mind was already in mist. I withdrew my forearm strongly then hurried.
    My best friend!
    She was staring at me from the door. Angry and astonished. But I went on with my pulse racing. I pushed by a hope that it would be a noble offer. A legitimate one."
    She laughed sarcastically raised her head and said, "A marriage, I mean."
    Adam was frowning, concentrating.
    She shook her dead in regret then continued.
    "I found Nadeem's car where he said. I got on then he drove without saying a word. I didn't say a word all the way. About an hour passed then we arrived. A middle-class district. Nadeem looked at me saying, ' Mr. Shakir is waiting for you in his condo in floor four. Of course you won't say a word about this to anyone. Go on, please.' I felt some respect in his last phrase."
    She sighed and continued, "I went on in the cold air of night. I was in the elevator, going up and worrying, trying to figure out data and results. When I opened the elevator door, his face with the confident smile was waiting for me just outside the elevator. Nadeem must have phoned him. I was afraid. I thought of abandoning the whole thing and getting back. But he gestured at the his condo's door like a theater performance and said, ' There is nothing to worry about. I do not intend evil. Do you know how to speak? We will just have a conversation. So I went inside. His eyes were following me. Every thing inside was taking my breath away. Decoration, antiques and furniture I have never imagined touching never mind sitting on. He followed me after he had almost closed the door. He didn't shut it. He gestured me to sit and sat in front of me on a sofa. He rested his arms spreading on it's back and put his calf on his knee. His clothes were real classy. He looked me in the eye and said, ' You are really beautiful, Madiha.Not only beautiful but I am sure you are tender too. Look Madiha. I won't turn around the tree now. You know why I had you brought.' He pauded for a moment then said, 'And how I want you.' I said in my head, 'Oh, no marriage then!' It's hope that you fool yourself into believing even though you know it is illusion. He continued, 'You will have a life you never dreamt of. Clothes, food, a car, etc. You won't even have the chance to say goodbye to your miserable life."

She laughed again in sarcasm and said, "Huh! Most importantly, he said while diving more and more in the sofa, 'I have loved you at first sight. Not only because of your beauty but also because you have such a unique thing. Look, I'm a free man and I will remain so. The choice is yours. I cannot force you to do anything.' I said in my head, ' And you, doing so, are not forcing me? Is that love you have talked about true?
    I am scared to suspect it.' He interrupted my thoughts asking, 'huh? What do you say?' I said whispering, ' I need to think about it.' He shook his head. He may have expected a quick surrender.' He said, 'You are free. Opportunity only comes once.' He stood up and went toward the bedroom and said, 'Listen, The know where is the condo door. Either you close it from outside, and then ask Nadeem Now for your pay and don't come to the factory again. Or you close it from inside. You are special Madiha, there is no doubt, but I can search well. And who agree are a lot. Believe me, you will win a lot."

She paused with her face reflecting rage.
    "Villain," she said.
    "You closed the door from inside," Adam said.

She gestured with her hand and head like it would say: 'Yes, alas.'
    "Yes I did while the word was replayed in my head. 'concubine," She said.
    She exhaled loudly then continued with an about to cry tone, "I returned back in Nadeem's car whose, by the way, face never had a slightest change.It was like a routine, he does without any interest. I returned with a changed body and soul. I was silent even when I saw my friend with the question in her angry eyes. I lay down on my bed without a word and gave her my back looking at the wall. I couldn't get to sleep. I was thinking till morning. In the morning, I told her everything. She was astonished. She said in a bitter blaming tone, " Is that the mere asking for his intension?! Oh, God, there's neither ability nor power except through you. And when he eats your flesh and throws your bones, what will you do?! Oh, God, there's neither ability nor power except through you."

Tears appeared in her eyes. She continued, " Her words made me scared. I objected firmly. I was trying to reassure myself saying: ' No, no. He loves me. He sees a special characteristic in me. Don't deny that!'
    She bridled saying, 'Do you believe that nonsense?! He says that to every prey he wants to catch. Are you idiot or what? Wake up to facts. At that point, I bridled too and said, ' Look at the miserable life you will live until you die! Me, I got rid of it forever.' I rushed out of the room with no looking back while she was calling me worriedly. Didn't I mention she is my best friend?"
    She paused then said with a smile, "She is married now to an employee at the Water company. They have two kids."

Remebmering this, she was crying her eyes out.
    She was repeating in between tears: "Oh, baby. Oh son."
    Adam tried to calm her down but he failed.
    She was shaking like there was an earthquake indise her. He stood up and went to ask Laila to sit with her while he makes lemon juice.
    When he came back, she had stopped crying and was sobbing. Laila was beside her, her arm around Madiha's shoulder, and tapping her forearm. He offered her the juice, she took it showing grateful and apologize.
    Her son! The problem is unveiling. He sat in front of them. When she had calmed down completely, he said, "I am all ears."
    Lailay was about to stand up but Madiha said quickly, "It's OK. You can stay Mrs. Laila if you want. I'm very grateful."
    Laila stayed and Madiha turned to face Adam and said with a sigh, "I will continue the story in order, to put you Mr. Adam in the picture well. From that time on, I didn't get out of that condo except for rare occasions. One time, I went to the factory to say goodebye to my co-workers alleging I had found a better job in another factory, as Shakir told me exactely. And I was his concubine as he had wanted. Yes, life was luxurious that I didn't aspire in my dreams.
    He also wasn't rude at all. He was kind and smiling but he was also strict in the matters he didn't want any diccussion about. One day, when I had hinted at marriage, he got almost insane. I was on the verge of being thrown out.

I had no one but him. Parents dead, I was raised up in an orphanage. I don't even know if I have relatives. I convinced myself a lot would want to be in my position. I adapted to that life.
    What was bothering me is my total disregard of my best friend. He didn't allow me to go out except for very few times, and he didn't appear with me once."
    Laila was listening while trying to complete the puzzle to understand. She managed to figure out half the matter.
    Madiha continued, "Weeks and months passed until that day when a had a life switch. He was laughing and joking, telling me about work and people matters while eating fruits on the bed. I told him cautiousley."
    She had a lump in her throat so she stooped talking. Her eyes gleamed implying a new wave of tears.
    Adam asked her careful what he says, "Told him what?"

"That I was pregnant," she said in a hoarse voice.
    Now everything is clear.
    Or so Adam thought.
    She continued, "His hand stopped midway to his mouth. She stared at me silently, smile all gone. He put the plate aside. He seemed to be trying to comprehend what I had just said.
    Like he was unbelieving.
    When he woke up, he asked me in a voice that freezed blood in my veins, 'Why?! How?!' He didn't ask me: 'Since when?' but 'Why?' I didn't know what to answer. I said, 'I have no experience in those things, I just have been puking repeatedly, recently. I called an old friend, from another job. She assured me that I seem very likely pregnant. I don't know anything.' We were in complete silence while he was staring at me, thinking hard, I guess. It seemed like he was doing calculations I have no idea about. He asked me, 'Are you sure?' I shook my head saying, 'I don't know! I told you what she had told me.' He said while resting his head on the bed's back, looking at the ceiling, ' Ok. You don't know. We have to know. We have to be sure.' then he turned over and gave me his back and said, 'Tomorrow, we will.' He didn't add a word afterwards.
    She wallowed her spit and continued with some hope on her face, 'It was assured. I was pregnant. When we had come back from the clinic, it was the happiest moment in my life. Life was growing inside me. I will be a mother. And we will be married for sure.
    There is no other way. That is the awaited life. A completely secure future with a strong tie between me and him.
    I came with my head in the clouds. But he came with disbelief. I have never seen him uncertain or troubled before.
    And to me, he was no longer Skakir who I knew. I was watching him, setting in the balcony and watching horizon. Most of the time he stayed home, went to work occasionally. And my belly was getting bigger and bigger as well as my yearning and apprehension. He was not happy about my pregnancy, OK, but why hasn't he spoken to me about it, at all? Why hasn't he even gotten outraged? Yell at me? I didn't understand. When I spoke to him I got no answer. Sometimes mumbling phrases showing his thoughts burden mind. I had been trying to explore his deepness with no result. I had done every thing I could and I failed completely. Until that day when I sat on the floor adjacent to his seat, grabbing his hand in hope and crying.After a while of crying, he looked at me then withdrew his hand from mine and said, 'You want to know what has happened to me. OK. I have never imagined that would happen. I'm sterile Madiha, or so I thought. He sighed and said, 'Many affairs, and every one passed like cloud with no trail, hence I thought I was sterile. Then he looked at me with a sad sarcastic smile and said, ' Thanks to you! You have done what every woman I was with, couldn't.' He tapped on my belly and continued, ' What I have never bothered to make a tiny place for, in my mind.' He looked at the horizon again and said, 'Now, what do I do?! What do I do?!'
    I said, ' We live! Enjoy the blessing of God. What is worrying you?! You know how many of the others that wants to pay millions and have what we will have a few months afterwards? Haven't you ever hoped for children that make your life full of happiness?! It shouldn't worry at all."
    She paused then continued, 'He got into his silence. We were like that for days. I was trying to pull him from sadness with all my efforts but he remained passive. Until that day when my desire had been fullfiled."
    She blew miserably and said " What naive I was!"
    She continued, "He seemed more accepting the matter. He even became optimistic to some degree and started laughing again. The closer my delivery, the more cheerful he was, until I thought that devil stopped whispering to him. He was taking care of me, my health and my food. We used to go to the clinic regularly to be reassured about our baby. When we had known that we will have a son, his face shone with joy and I was very happy like I was never before. We both were sharing happiness. I was counting nights until delivery. When it had been time he told me I would give birth in a private clinic. I didn't ask why. How could I do after the great change?"
    She sighed strongly then said shaking her head in regret, " I didn't have the slightest suspicion. I closed my eyes hoping while he was grabbing my hand giving me strength. I opened them to a nightmare. When I had gotten conscious, I didn't see anybody beside me. The room was dark. I had tried to get up but I felt dizzy. I called anybody. When no one had showed I shouted.
    A nurse in her fifties came, asking with disgust about the shouting. I frighteningly asked her, 'Where is my son, Hussam?! Where is my husband?' She said, 'There is no one. The man took the baby and got out.' At that moment I was like having a shock. That's why he got all right?! Had he really thought like that?!"
    She paused then said, "I was seeing him as my husband even it was not legitimate."
    Adam commented, "But it was a unilateral view that would not have fixed the huge mistake that had happened? Isn't it?"
    She nodded sadly and said, "It is. When I have lost myself like that, it was horrible. But what he have done is more horrible!"
    Tears appeared in her eyes when she lifted them to him saying, " He kidnaped(Kidnapping) my son Mr. Adam(?)!" then she broke down in tears.

Both Adam and Laila sat up straight and their eyes met. Laila was trying her best to solace her. Madiha blowed her nose in the tissue Laila had given her then continued, "Disgust had been still on the nurse's face when she
    said, 'Come on. You are not going to stay long here. You'd better recover quickly. It's not a hotel here.' I was listening with astonishment, didn't know what to say! My eyes were frozen open and my tongue was very heavy. I didn't know how I managed to pass the night. In the morning, I found some strength in me. I got dressed and went out of the room. I didn't find anybody. I opened the exit door and got into a cab.
    I wanted to fly to the condo and I was trying to disbelieve my heart. I was forcing myself to run up the stairs. When I had gotten to the door and before I open it with my key, it was opened and I found Nadeem standing, staring at me steadily.
    I asked him, 'Where is my son?!'
    He said in a cold voice, 'Come in'.
    I did quickly, searching, but found nobody. I asked him hysterically, 'Where is my son, Nadeem? Where is Shakir?'
    He said while putting his ankle on his knee, 'Sit down.' I screamed, ' I will not sit down.' He said in apathy, 'If you want to know then sit down and speak quietly, otherwise, you go out.'
    I was forced. I sat then asked him with a voice that came directly from my broken heart, 'Please, Nadeem.Tell me. What happened?! Where is Hussam?!'
    He said, 'Forget about him, as if you hadn't got pregnant ever.'
    I was assured. I yelled at him, 'How?! What had happened to kidnap my son?! Tell me where Shakir is and I will clear it with him. Please!' But he said in the same steadiness, 'You know, Madiha, your real position. Mr. Shakir had given you what no other woman like you dreamt of. He was generous to you and I will give you now a good amount of money. You go on with your life as you went before and forget what had happened between you. As if it didn't happen ever.'
    I screamed, 'Are you crazy?! Forget who?! My son?! Are you crazy?!' He said, ' No, it's you who are crazy. He is not your son. He will not be honored being your son. It's better for him to be raised up away from you. To grow knowing nothing about you.' I said, ' You are tearing me apart!' He said, ' It's not my concern. It was you who chose.'

I said, 'I never chose to lose the fruit of my womb!'
    He said in cold voice while looking away, 'This is your fate.'
    I screamed, 'No, he wouldn't do this to me then go away with my son like that! Please Nadeem, where is he now? At the factory?'
    He said, 'There is no use in what you are doing now. The truth is, Mr. Shakir had traveled with his son. Traveled abroad and he will not come back.'
    I felt like hit by a thunderbolt.
    I asked unbelieving, 'Had Traveled?!Where?!'
    He said, 'It appears there is no use arguing with you. You go.'
    I repeated in yearn, 'Where, Nadeem?! Where?!' But he remained silent, waving his head in his 'There is no use' gesture.
    I was on the verge of breakdown, staring at him in silence. How could Shakir do this to me?! How could he posses such cruelty.
    I looked at Nadeem in a begging silent look, but he answered it with handing me money in an envelope.
    I begged him in a slow tone, 'Tell me where he is, Nadeem, and I will do anything for you. Anything.'

He smiled sarcastically and said, 'I don't need anything from you. And you will get nowhere with your demand. You'd better turn that page of your life as I have told you.Come on. Take it.' I said, 'I will be your concubine.'
    He laughed looking at me in a dirty way. He said, 'No, lady, No!' He paused for a moment then said, 'Even with such a beautiful one like you.' He stood up and said to finish it, 'Come on. Take it and don't get me tired. I'm busy.'
    I stared at him in despise then spit on his face. An ugly smile was on his face. He wiped the spit out calmly then stretched out his hand with the money again.

I ignored his hand then dragged my legs with difficulty. I found myself going to the factory. They told me the same. I went out from there like I had been very old. I felt lost. Where would I go?! What would I do?! I went to my best friend. She welcomed me after all. A woman of quality. I told her everything. She insisted on going to the police. I said, 'It's no use. What could they do? The villain is abroad.'
    I buried the pain deep in me and have been going to that condo and factory every day asking for him.I have been doing it for six whole years with no fatigue or tiresome. They were telling me off due to my unstoppable asking. I was so attached to both of them, maybe he would have come back. I did never gave hope, even for a day."
    Her face shone with happiness suddenly thus it made a big difference. It was the complete opposite. She said, 'Until this day, the day were are in now, came. I've seen him Mr. Adam. I've seen him. I've seen Shakir Gad.

She was moving her head in joy, trying to swallow her spit while saying in triumph and ecstacy , 'He have come back. I had a glance at him, being in his office's balcony in the factory. I couldn't believe it. Is Hussam with him? I was about to go into the factory but I froze suddenly. What would he do after all those years? Could he have changed? Has his heart softened or it is still like rock? Would I go to him and remind him with the old days we lived together thus he would agree to show me my son? Or would he disappear again with him? I was in a great confusion, and in a great ecstacy in the same time due to the possibly of finally seeing Hussam after all those extremely hard years. But I have been cautious and went leaving part of my soul there. I went walking one the streets, thinking and thinking. My head was spinning until I passed by your building Mr. Adam. I don't know why did I lift my head and looked at your board. Don't know how I have received its meaning. You are my hope, Mr. Adam. Please, could you bring me back my son?"

Adam took a deep breath, thinking. After a while he said, "You'd better follow your friend's advice. The police have to be informed."
    She said quickly as if she was burned by fire, "No, no police! He would manipulate them. He is capable of that. Going that way, I wouldn't see my sun forever! Please Mr. Adam. You are the only one, after God, who can help me."
    He was trying to think it over. He gave Laila a silent look but her look answered him with nothing like she left the decision to be his only. When she was staring at him, she seemed like waiting eagerly as Madiha was. After a minute of staring at the ceiling, he smiled and said, "OK. May God help us."
    Madiha was grinning as well as Laila.

Madiha said while leaning forward toward him, "Thank you, thank you very much Mr. Adam. You can't imagine how much I'm relieved. uhhh... As to the fee, I... the truth..."
    Adam said it plainly with a smile, " You don't have money."

She smiled shyly while looking at the floor and said, "Honestly, the cheese factory I'm, currently, working in wasn't in need of more workers, but I begged the owner so he accepted to hire me for a wage that barley fulfill the essentials."
    Adam's smile widened and he said, "It's OK. I am going to work freely for you as my first client. No problem."
    "I don't know how can I thank you Mr. Adam. It's like you have brought my soul back to me. I'll do my best to provide a fair fee. I promise."
    "Never mind," he said.

She gave him the addresses of Shakir's factory, that condo, a golf club he owns, that he used to go to a lot, and her.
    He kept looking at her's and said, "So you reside near here. Good."

She nodded then stood up excusing. While she was leaving the apartment, she looked at Adam silently in hope. Then she was descending the stairs.

He was deep in both his chair and thoughts.
    He was looking at Laila making snacks in the kitchen. He then looked at Khaled sitting at the computer. He was feasting his eyes on his family. He was enjoying himself, remembering their gathering around the table, their trips and his and his wife's hopes of better future for Khaled. Doing All of that and living in a small leased apartment till now. Without having a car or a traveling abroad vacations till now. Without a lot of thing, really.

But he has everything really.
    He was watching Laila's movement for a while when his eyes met hers when she turned. She smiled then went back to chopping carrots.
    He also smiled then stood up and went to her.
    He reached for the plate but she slapped his hand in fun. He grabbed her hand and was holding it for seconds feeling its warmth.
    He remembered Madiha.
    "Dear, I'm living in a great blessing."

Last edited by muh; 08-24-2014 at 01:55 PM.

I enjoyed this story a lot. You have a real talent for putting together a plot that takes unexpected twists and turns while at the same time being completely believable. Thta's very hard to do, especially in a short story format. I love the way you portrayed the two main characters, Madiha and Shakir, and the way you showed how their relationship began and evolved - I can imagine those kinds of relationships occurring many places in the world. I also really liked the way you framed the story with Madiha telling the main plot a supporting character Adam, with his (Adam's) wife Laila more or less in in the background and then ending the story with a simple but powerful scene between Adam and Laila.

That English is a second language from you is obvious from a number of grammatical errors, but the story itself was fascinating enough so that I was able to put aside those minor distractions. I'll recommend that you have a native Englsih speaker take a look at it to correct those types of errors.

At the beginning, you have a "Chapter 4." I hope you'll consider posting Chapters 1, 2, and 3 and and any other writing you've done here, as i am sure I would enjoy reading your other work.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy