Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

1 11.11%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals

3 33.33%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

2 22.22%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

3 33.33%

Thread: Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Blog Entries

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Galapagos – as might be deduced by the title, is about evolution. It is also about The Vietnam War, marriage, time, ghosts, devastating economic crises, survival, maternal/ paternal relationships, time, coincidence and more. The book is only two hundred and thirty odd pages long, and Vonnegut masterfully orchestrates his short paragraphs and chapters in order to tell us a sweeping tale that covers over a million years.

I recognised the style of Galapagos as similar to Slaughterhouse 5. Vonnegut is no literary realist, and instead he employs a fiction by inference technique. He is able to build up a picture of the destruction of human society, for example, in a very sparse smattering of sentences that he scatters throughout his chapters and paragraphs. It is an efficient and economic technique that enables him to tell a potentially very long story in a short novel.

Vonnegut follows the tradition of HG Wells in positing the possibility of evolution into a lower form. Wells had the Morlocks and the Eloi, who were much inferior to the Time Traveller, but adapted to their environment all the same. Vonnegut has the stranded humans also adapt over the million years to become very well adapted to their environment, but with much less sophisticated brains.

The tale tells the story of how the passengers of a cruise to the Galapagos come to be marooned upon one of the islands, and end up being the only survivors of the human race. The tale of how they get there involves short biographies of the principal characters, short sketches of incidental charaters and broad strokes that place the tale into context.

Vonnegut employs a surprising narrator, has an unusual villain and a tragic-comic denouement for the survivors. I really enjoyed this book for its scope, detail and surprising asides and meditations. It is well worth a read.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Paul -- I've loved Vonnegut for a long time and I have not read this novel. Now it makes me want to rush off to the library!
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

I just finished this book. Was the second Vonnegut book I read and I thought that it was tremendous. Just starting Sirens of Titan now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by larryF View Post
    I just finished this book. Was the second Vonnegut book I read and I thought that it was tremendous. Just starting Sirens of Titan now.
    I may have read that one too, but it's so long ago that I'd have to read it again.

Kurt Vonnegut’s Galápagos is by and large quite a funny novel...
    I really need help with an english paper! Can anyone help me?? It would be very much appreciated!
    Kurt Vonnegut’s Galápagos is by and large quite a funny novel, criticizing people, society and life in general in a tone that ranges from playfully ironic to bitingly satirical. But humour is not confined solely to the novel’s narrative style; it is also one of its key themes, particularly in terms of what it means to have or lack a sense of humour. Through its use and exploration of it, what is Galápagos suggesting about humour.

Free Facebook Layouts

'Galapagos' is in the top 3 of my favorite books. I loved every page of it, and the irony in some places was simply amazing.

*Spoiler Alert*
    For instance, the captain (Adam) throwing Mandrax (the apple) into the sea, or the Kaka-Bonos being about to go extinct, and then become all that's left of the human race?

The destruction of human society seems to be a rather frequent theme in Vonnegut's novels and I quite appreciate his sharp sense of apocalypse in his writings, for true hope of human beings comes from the realization of emergent crises. I like the novel. And I have just finished reding Deadeye Dick, his another novels about the destruction of a city by a nuclear bomb.