Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proles

Arrow Proles

Name proles comes from latin work for worker; used also by Karl Marx as a proletariat referring on working class. Party is using them as a labour in factories; actually that's their only purpose. They are uneducated and stupid, and Party doesn't wish that to change. They are not aware that history existed, that there once was a free will, free ideas and freedom of speech. They are kept in constant fear and they believe that Party keeps them from safe from Oceania's and Eastasia's treat. Party does not control their way of life like they control Party members. They can have friends, family, lovers and sex is actually welcomed: more kids will produce more labours for factories.

Keeping them in fear and uneducated assures peace to Party and removes any possibility of rebellion. They cannot understand what is really happening, that everything looks like Party wants it to look, and not like it really is. But, like Winston said, hope is in the proles; they are the only one who can change something because there is no way that any Party member would act against Party.

P.S. Any comments and ideas are welcome; unanswered questions also.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

One more thing you missed from 1984. Like the outer and inner party, there are people who are a blot in the parties ideology. It was even said briefly in one sentence of 1984 that the more dangerous members of the proles are eliminated.

They also have the thought police amongst them to pick out that very such thing. Just some things I'd like to point out.

I think that no government can completely hold down a majority of a population, so they grant freedoms to the majority, while keeping the main threats (party members) under tight lock.

Even in 50 years in the novel, when they say that newspeak will replace anything else, the proles will still have their extra priviledges. Their are many things in real life that could have inspired George Orwell of this, such as free shops to train the unemployed certain skills. These services weren't necessarily provided to help these people, but more to keep these people down and content.

I believe that in almost every society (of course to a much much lesser extent), this occurs.

Does the party underestimate the proles?

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Name proles comes from latin work for worker; used also by Karl Marx as a proletariat referring on working class. Party is using them as a labour in factories; actually that's their only purpose. They are uneducated and stupid, and Party doesn't wish that to change. They are not aware that history existed, that there once was a free will, free ideas and freedom of speech. They are kept in constant fear and they believe that Party keeps them from safe from Oceania's and Eastasia's treat. Party does not control their way of life like they control Party members. They can have friends, family, lovers and sex is actually welcomed: more kids will produce more labours for factories.

Keeping them in fear and uneducated assures peace to Party and removes any possibility of rebellion. They cannot understand what is really happening, that everything looks like Party wants it to look, and not like it really is. But, like Winston said, hope is in the proles; they are the only one who can change something because there is no way that any Party member would act against Party.

P.S. Any comments and ideas are welcome; unanswered questions also.

Do you think the party underestimates what the proles could do?
    Its true that they are uneducated and unaware of whats going on, but if the proles ever wisened up or someone like winston wanted to plan an uprising in the prole section, they could because there are no telescreens down there.

Its true that they are uneducated and unaware of whats going on, but if the proles ever wisened up or someone like winston wanted to plan an uprising in the prole section, they could because there are no telescreens down there.

I feel that you are exactly right about all of it you must have really liked this book and I would not mind to chat with you about it..

Thanks, Jb

Comment to burmesedays..

What exactly do you mean by 'no government can hold down the majority' and where do you see this happening in societys today?
    I think that free classes for the unemployed to learn are more of educating the majority, which Big Brother did not do with the proles.
    It also appears that the Big Brother kept the Party members under such tight control because they knew too much.... I wonder how many of the inner party members actually were truely dedicated to the Big Brother cause and not to their own power addiction...

Why does Big Brother seperate the proles from everyone else. Even though he is trying to make everyone the same by making the working class wear the same clothes?
    Last edited by The Student17; 11-05-2008 at 10:08 PM.

I think I mostly wrote that in a different mindset, because now i can't find any clear examples of present society doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student17 View Post
    Why does Big Brother seperate the proles from everyone else. Even though he is trying to make everyone the same by making the working class wear the same clothes?
    There have to be proles to tend the farms and grow the crops. Orwell is vague about population size of each group and it's hard to figure out the economic workings of Oceania, but I think if you imagine all menial occupations - miners, labourers, drainlayers, etc - being proles, you won't be too far off.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by emeli351 View Post

The Party knows exactly what the proles can do- that is why they have so many more priveleges over the party members. This way, they will never want to rebel, because their lives are so good.

No. Proles are stupid and they will never realize that their life is bad and that it could be better. And that's why they will never rebel.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

^^^I don't think so. There is no biological difference between the Party members and the proles. The proles are just as intellegent as the rest of Oceania, this is why the Party give them everything they will ever want...

Why would you try and upheave a leader that gives you everything you want?

Proles have some freedom compared to the rest of the party members. I dont remember if orwell mentioning but i think party members including winston are scared even to write or think against the party. If you have your basic necessities fulfilled and have freedom of thought you can acheive great many things this is the reason why Winston said that the only hope lies in the proles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by delta-fan View Post
    ^^^I don't think so. There is no biological difference between the Party members and the proles. The proles are just as intellegent as the rest of Oceania, this is why the Party give them everything they will ever want...

Why would you try and upheave a leader that gives you everything you want?
    The proles do not have everything they will ever want.

Also the proles are generally unintelligent uneducated workers, (the exceptions to this rule are eliminated) you are insinuating that intelligence is entirely dictated by genetics, not so. The brain is a muscle which has to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by wat?? View Post
    The proles do not have everything they will ever want.

Also the proles are generally unintelligent uneducated workers, (the exceptions to this rule are eliminated) you are insinuating that intelligence is entirely dictated by genetics, not so. The brain is a muscle which has to be developed.
    That's not what I meant at all. What I'm trying to say is that just because the Proles are uneducated, it doesn't mean that they are stupid. You don't need an education to have common sense.

What do the Proles not have? They have families, friends, jobs, pubs, happiness and normaility in their lives. That have it good, compared to the Outer Party members if you ask me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast