Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you into foreign languages?

Are you into foreign languages?

I am sort of. It's fascinating to see the different ways people speak (and all the ways in which I am thankful for the simplicity of English). I am also a speaker of Spanish and hope to attain a great deal more by the end of this year after I finish the dictionary. Are you into linguistics and which languages do you speak?

Blog Entries
    I speak a little bit of French and am studying Icelandic. Beautiful languages both.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    I speak a little bit of French and am studying Icelandic. Beautiful languages both.
    Spanish is rather boring with simplified and repitive phonetics, but I like to cross my accent with Italian and Mexican so it has more variety and is pleasent to listen to.

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    i LOVE languages. i only know english, and some Latin, the language i take in school; but i really want to learn more. i'm hoping to go somewhere with a different launguage on a student-exchange program next year . . .

hey, anyone here from a different country want to teach me a new language? penpals?
    No day but today

-God is real, unless proclaimed integer-

I created a fully functional language that is nearly complete called Etij, if anyone cares to read about it. (blatant advertising) It's design is really ingenious and it will be easy to learn.

Linguistics is actually very simple. A language only needs to be fully functionally the presence of the equivalent of adverbs, adjectives, conjuctions, prepositions, verbs, and nouns and a present, past, and conditional perfect tense (I would have done). Once you have all those, you can create a language that is capable of complete expression.

Blog Entries
    You sound super smart. I tried to major in Spanish but I didn't want to study. But I should have because I live in the Southern U.S. and we have a growing population of people who speak Spanish and English. However, I don't know if I could communicate with the people who speak it as I would only know the text book version.

Also, the last time I went to church, the prayer book was in Spanish and English and I sat there and tried to read the Spanish part. I know that I can write and read Spanish more than I could ever speak it but that is because I am a visual learner (also I am not the churchy time so it's not like I actually knew the English equivalent of what I was reading).

In short, I am probably not sharp enough to pick up a second language. If I had been exposed to many Spanish speakers (or submerged in the language) at a young age, perhaps I could have learned it the written part of it later.

What is the best way to learn a language --- should you be submerged in it (so to speak) or should you be presented with a list of nouns of verbs that pertain to a specific subject such as barnyard animals with flashcards to go with the words? (I am speaking of my Spanish classes...)?
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    You sound super smart. I tried to major in Spanish but I didn't want to study. But I should have because I live in the Southern U.S. and we have a growing population of people who speak Spanish and English. However, I don't know if I could communicate with the people who speak it as I would only know the text book version.

Also, the last time I went to church, the prayer book was in Spanish and English and I sat there and tried to read the Spanish part. I know that I can write and read Spanish more than I could ever speak it but that is because I am a visual learner (also I am not the churchy time so it's not like I actually knew the English equivalent of what I was reading).

In short, I am probably not sharp enough to pick up a second language. If I had been exposed to many Spanish speakers (or submerged in the language) at a young age, perhaps I could have learned it the written part of it later.

What is the best way to learn a language --- should you be submerged in it (so to speak) or should you be presented with a list of nouns of verbs that pertain to a specific subject such as barnyard animals with flashcards to go with the words? (I am speaking of my Spanish classes...)?
    What I reccomend you do is study the grammar, the irregulars, and a large amount of vocab and then submerse yourself in the culture.

Submersion is in vain without the proper background of grammar and necessary words.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    I am determined to learn Spanish before I graduate colloge in a year and a half, I've already taken a few years of it and I'm hoping to go on a trip to Spain for 5 weeks this summer with other Spanish students. I'm studying to be an English teacher but here we are very close to Puerto Rico so it is beneficial for a teacher to know Spanish because that is the first language for many students. If I don't teach here, I will be in Los Angeles, my hometown, and Lord knows that there's probably more Spanish-speakers there than English...

I'm also very interested in learning French, because I am half French, and also sign language, because I have friends in Deaf Studies programs and it just seems like a useful language to know...

Linguistics fascinates me, though I am only a rookie when it comes to studying them. Still, I look forward to linguistics classes and I enjoyed my "History of the English Language" last year...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    mother tongue is english, second comes filipino, and then local dialects that my tongue just can't seem to embrace. filipino was patterened after spanish, so i think learning it would be a bit easier i guess than other languages.. i do want to learn frnch, however, but just seem to lack the passion for it--there is passsion, but it's not enough to make me throw myself into french.. i'll get there one day.
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Obviously, my primary language is English, but I'm taking high school Spanish. I'd love to do a lot of studying and become fluent in Spanish, Greek, and Latin.

Blog Entries
    I speak zulu, and I cannot wait for January when I start French, I think it's such a passionate language.
    A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wise today than yesterday - Alexander Pope

Conviction that is not under-girded by LOVE makes the possessor of that conviction obnoxious and the dogma possessed becomes repulsive - Ravi Zacharias.

Wanna know Russian?

Blog Entries
    A Hausa speaker here. Who has ever come to knowing this language before. It's a simple, nice lanuage that now has a very wider speakers in west Africa almost than any other language.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    I speak English, obviously, and conversational Arabic....I spoke Arabic fluently as a kid and my parents still do, but I don't remember a whole lot.
    I did two years of high school Latin, and for next year I'm trying to decide between Dutch, Swedish, and Africans. I'm really leaning toward Dutch. What draws me to a language is simply how it sounds, and though I love the sound of all three of those languages, Dutch is just so cool! A friend of mine from Holland said that you pretty much had to grow up with it to have a chance at it, but I think I'll try. I'm good with pronunication and can usually pick things up quickly.
    Recently I've been obsessed with Swedish techno, which is where the interest in that language came from. It's got a really nice sound to it as well.

I enjoy hearing other languages and singing in them, but I wouldn't say I'm really into linguistics as a whole.
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast