Thread: Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights

I think I have at least an average appreciation for "fine" literature. In college I was a French major and so most of my experience with classical literature is with French literature, but naturally as an American I have read at least a few of the classic novels of England and America.

Wuthering Heights is one novel whose literary worth has always escaped me. I have read it perhaps three times in my life, most recently about five years ago. To me it is just a collection of mentally-ill people treating each other abominably. I have never understood why it has survived.

I never have this feeling about any of the other "classic" novels. A couple of years ago I read George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss for the first time, with enormous pleasure and begged my grown daughter to read it. The two main characters are exactly like my daughter and her brother and it's fascinating to know that this book was written a century and a half ago about people that I actually know.

A couple of years later I read Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Dreiser's An American Tragedy. I was nearly as enthusiastic about those three novels as I was about the Eliot book.

I say all this to express my fondness and appreciation for the "classics." But to repeat, I cannot understand what merit Wuthering Heights can have and why it qualifies as a time-honored classic.

If someone asked me if I recommended Wuthering Heights, I would have to say, "Yes, if you enjoy wallowing in vicious, mentally-ill people treating each other abominably." I see no merit in this book at all, and it is the only "classic" that I feel that way about.

I could try to construct some elaborate argument that connects the themes in Wuthering Heights to appropriate literary theories, but I think it's easier just to point out that we still have "mentally-ill people treating each other badly". You mentioned that you could relate to the characters in The Mill on the Floss. Could you really not relate to the thwarted ambitions of the characters in Wuthering Heights? I thought the characters struggled with some pretty universal problems.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

No, I was not able to relate to anything in Wuthering Heights. I might have been able to if someone had murdered Heathcliffe, though. But of course nobody did. They just sat around and watched as he destroyed people.

Well, first, welcome to the forum. At first I didn't notice that you were new--I just saw the Bronte bashing and responded on reflex.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zemboy View Post
    No, I was not able to relate to anything in Wuthering Heights. I might have been able to if someone had murdered Heathcliffe, though. But of course nobody did. They just sat around and watched as he destroyed people.
    Unrequited love is an obvious theme here, but also hate, vanity, and real affection--at the end at least. Are you saying you haven't experienced any of these? I know it's a bleak book and it's not everyone's favorite. I hope at least you found the beginning comical.

And, Mill on the Floss is good. Have you read Middlemarch or Silas Marner?

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Wuthering Heights is my favorite novel ever!

It has more than one universal theme, and it deals with characters you can barely find them in other pieces of literary works.

PS: Of what you mentioned above ^ .. What you obviously recommended to read because I see more than one book and I need your advice to read at least the best two of them

Welcome to OL Forums
    Our souls might be separated though your smell still there ..
    Since you'd gone everything turned dark for me ..
    Did you remember my words I said downstairs ..

Now everything has come to an end .. But your memory still lives as long as your magical eyes can bear!

Syoof.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post

PS: Of what you mentioned above ^ .. What you obviously recommended to read because I see more than one book and I need your advice to read at least the best two of them
    Are you talking to me or Zemboy?

Yes, I've read Silas Marner. The whole thing was in our tenth-grade lit book. It was great, and so were those Dickens things (Oliver T., David C., Hard Times, A Tale of Two Cities, The Vicar of Wakefield, etc. Jane Eyre, too, so I'm not Bronte bashing. Only Emily Bronte bashing. And no, I've never experienced any of the things you mention in Wuthering Heights. As to "real affection," where was it? I only saw possessiveness and greed in that book, and life-long vengefulness, and doing harm to innocents. "Your mother did this to me, so I'm going to ruin YOUR life to get my revenge." Duh.

To the person who asked for a recommended novel, don't miss Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Super relevant today, since everybody seems to be getting "reality" from TV and movies, as Emma Bovary got hers from romantic novels and then couldn't deal with real life. And The Brothers Karamazov is dynamite, every word of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Are you talking to me or Zemboy?
    Sorry, but I was talking to him

Quote Originally Posted by James Zemboy View Post
    To the person who asked for a recommended novel, don't miss Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Super relevant today, since everybody seems to be getting "reality" from TV and movies, as Emma Bovary got hers from romantic novels and then couldn't deal with real life. And The Brothers Karamazov is dynamite, every word of it.
    Thank you James
    I'm gonna take your advice and read them asap
    Our souls might be separated though your smell still there ..
    Since you'd gone everything turned dark for me ..
    Did you remember my words I said downstairs ..

Now everything has come to an end .. But your memory still lives as long as your magical eyes can bear!

Syoof.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

As the title suggests, the world in story is tempest and height and probably not everyone’s appetite. It’s not the warm Hawaiians beaches but Mount Everest, not a place to walk doggie but for a man to feel passion.