Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Philosophy of Sex ?

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar

The Philosophy of Sex ?

What do you think is the philosophy behind the sexual act ( between a male and a female) especifically?
    Why man is endowed with a tool that allows him to enter the place he has been kicked of to gain life ?
    Why ecstasy is related to this process of " re-entering " that place ?
    Does it have to do with the fall of Adam from Paradise/womb?
    To enter into life is the Paradise Lost ; the sexual act is the Paradise regained.
    Does the female feel ecsatsy because she's the Paradise everyone longs to enter ?
    In this sense is sex a transcendental act not sth that has to do with our primtive nature ?
    Last edited by caddy_caddy; 01-25-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Yep. Precisely. That's what happens when I fukc. I keep thinking about the fall of Adam, and how I'm right there and then getting a glimpse of what I foolishly lost. Of course, sometimes I get confused because I suddenly realize I'm not Adam, and I don't even know from Adam anyone who's called Adam, but generally I would say you've nailed it.

Are you cacian using a second account?

Incidentally, sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer.
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

hhhhhhhhhhhh no I am the mad caddy
    You're down to earth .
    Can't you transcend it and think of sth else ?

I can't help but love that Bruno Mars song, if this is at all connected to that!

Sex is a magnetism between two people and it usually allow for procreation if it is done right. I don't talk sex and I simply do. That is my philosophy on the matter and of course privacy is at its prime.
    I get on with it and be done. Of course as my nature indicates I simply keep it to the minimum so not to encumber myself with deceptions and worries. In other words I keep my sexual relationship with someone I have feelings for. For me sex is at its best when sahred with someone whose feelings are close if not the same to mine.Sex and feelings are intertwined for me otherwise I won't bother.
    Sex is practical and I am too. I guess we are quit this way.Then after that I can get on with the rest of my life that I consider more urgent important.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caddy_caddy View Post
    In this sense is sex a transcendental act not sth that has to do with our primtive nature ?
    I think it is transcendental which means that basically there is more to it than procreation. It leads us outside of ourselves both for pleasure and to take care of those around us. I do understand that there are molecules in the brain that push us toward monogamy and infidelity at the same time, but they are just a framework on which the transcendent value of sex is built. On top of this chemical base, we build a culture.

I hope you don't look at sex and sexual difference like Irigaray, who thinks of women's sex organ and sexuality as fluid mechanics and men's as solid mechanics. Although Philosophy is not really a science, at least it attempts to be logical. I don't see even a semblance of logic in your questions. Maybe you meant the poetry of sex. In poetry, yes, you can even think of vagina as a mussel and penis as a sea cucumber.

Even if there is truth in your implied assertions, you should consider too that women's tongues and fingers also enter vaginas.
    Last edited by miyako73; 01-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Philosophy has nothing fundamental to do with it. The biomechanics and neuro-physiological responses for human sex have been honed over millions of years of evolution by natural selection. The act is as it is because it works with the necessary efficiency and, generally speaking, rewards behaviors likely to promote reproductive success and nurturing. That being said, one can make of it any sort of transcendent experience one wants.

What do you think is the philosophy behind the sexual act ( between a male and a female) especifically?
    Why man is endowed with a tool that allows him to enter the place he has been kicked of to gain life ?
    Why ecstasy is related to this process of " re-entering " that place ?
    Does it have to do with the fall of Adam from Paradise/womb?
    To enter into life is the Paradise Lost ; the sexual act is the Paradise regained.
    Does the female feels ecsatsy because she's the Paradise everyone longs to enter ?
    I think what you describe here is more about the psychology and anthropology of sex than it's philosophy. Freud often talked about men's desire to re-enter the mothers womb and making the connection between womb and paradise is also an old psychoanalytic idea, which has very little to do with philosophy. Of course sexual act can have philosophical facets as well, but as far as I'm aware they're all mere subjective speculations.
    De omnibus dubitandum.

Through sexual connection two persons express their longing to perceive and unite the less materialistic parts of themselves, popularly called souls, although it is not quite clear what 'soul' is. By allowing this aim to be achieved, body gives its materialistic contribution of procreation. Of course, the last is not always the result, what does not mean that the, so called, souls cannot achieve their goal.

This is how I see its meaning in the sublime realm of existence, or from the philosophic point of view.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

The philosophy of sex is such that two humans from a naturalistic lens must live together regardless of religious dogmas and social and ethical taboos unbiassedly and
    unabashedly when his primal urge is prime. Society and its dogmatic inventions have lamed humans and the reason why he is under a cloak of nonessential restriction is he fails the natural philosophy of love.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like Aretino's "philosophy":

It is a foolish dimwit who doesn't realize it a waste of time unless a thing concerns fu**ing!

-Pietri Aretino c. 1527

Tennessee Williams seems to have agreed:

But there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark… that sort of make everything else seem… unimportant.”
    - Stella Kowalski, A Streetcar Named Desire -Tennessee Williams
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post

But there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark… that sort of make everything else seem… unimportant.”
    - Stella Kowalski, A Streetcar Named Desire -Tennessee Williams
    Albeit, Stella is trying to justify an abusive relationship with a man who eventually rapes (and drives to insanity) her sister. So, I'm not sure how much we should take that statement as a straightforward expression of Williams' views on sex. Particularly since his own sexuality lurks always in the background of his plays where the only overtly gay males have all died violently before the events of the drama.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Come on men
    Is a finger like the vagina ?!
    I don't think so .
    And how could evolution and natural selection explain the orgasm ? Procreation could have happened without orgasm . Why the sexual act is associated with it ?
    I think the aim of sex is basically to reach that state.
    Isn't orgasm itself a fall/ collapse ? After it you feel you're a new born .
    Isn't the same pattern of fall and birth?

And how could evolution and natural selection explain the orgasm ? Procreation could have happened without orgasm . Why the sexual act is associated with it ?
    Caddy, surely you jest! Think about it: The most essential factor in propagating the species is that the act performed in accomplishing it be amply rewarded, that is, pleasurable. The orgasm and the pleasure it gives is the mechanism by which the behavior was naturally selected. Imagine two species in competition, one of which finds sexual intercourse intensely pleasurable, and another for whom there is no sensory reward whatever. Which one do you think is going to have more prolific reproduction and thus crowd out and out-compete the other? The orgasm exists at all precisely because of natural selection!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast