Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Women's studies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    What? Joking about gased jews, about women, about black people and more? No. Maybe because it is just so obvious that he is a vicious troll that I didn't consider the humour in such things. Why, do you find such things funny?
    I don't find those things funny at all, really that was just a cheap shot. By rights I could cry Godwin! You need to try harder than that.

Honestly, give me a proper argument, rather than he is just a vicious troll. You can keep implying that I am a closet Nazi, who finds humour in racism & the holocaust if you like. I'm not offended, I probably just expected more.

I'd say he was less a vicious troll & more a bit of a prankster. I find people with little or no sense of humour are usually a tad slow on the uptake in other areas. At the end of the day why read his posts if they are so offensive?
    Last edited by Red-Headed; 07-28-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Getting tired
    docendo discimus

What? Joking about gased jews, about women, about black people and more? No. Maybe because it is just so obvious that he is a vicious troll that I didn't consider the humour in such things. Why, do you find such things funny?
    I don't remember him talking negatively about black folks. He hasn't explained about the Nazi stuff. He may have been joking about women.

He's also talked about finding Lovecraft to be a reprehensible person due to his racism. Paradox, or just G.L.'s disinclination to fill in the blanks? I don't always understand him more than anyone else, but I think there should be understanding before condemnation.

As far as the possible humor, I'm reminded about an interview with John Cleese in which that kind of thing came up. His example was the fight with the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and he mentioned talking to people who were bothered by that scene. He said they were incapable of seeing that kind of extreme violence as humorous, even though they could understand that it was supposed to be funny. They just weren't wired that way.

I'm old enough to remember Andrew Dice Clay's heyday. I found his act (what little I could stomach watching) to be appallingly stupid and puerile, but I could also understand that it was intended as comedy, and his audience took it as such, so I didn't get angry about it. I did get jealously angry that he could make millions with that sh*t.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Redheaded:

It is not a cheap shot and really how could I not read them as they are all clogging up the boards?

I don't need to defend my criticisms as they are there for all to see.

I am not the one posting 11 threads or whatever of one line wind-ups, including attacking women, jews, and black people.

Really why would you even defend him and attack me?
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 07-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.

I don't remember him talking negatively about black folks. He hasn't explained about the Nazi stuff. He may have been joking about women.
    Jesus then. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just waiting for an attack on homosexuals, oh, hold on wasn't there a thread knocking queer studies too? I guess fagots get knocked as well then. Maybe he was just joking? Give me a break.

Blog Entries
    I think one of G L's problems is that he writes down as he thinks, you just can't do that with the written word. All language, especially written text, is based on deciphering linguistic & semiotic codes.

I honestly think he writes with his tongue firmly in his cheek. This probably works fine in debates with the spoken word as tone & nuance can denote intent.

Unfortunately, all semiotic signifiers/signifieds at a written level need a cultural understanding textually to decipher the inherent denotative, connotative & mytho-cultural coding. Disregarding the supposed affective fallacy that the textual (& intertextual) meaning is actually dependent on the subjectivity of response of the reader deciphering the text, will inevitably lead to a form textual determinism.

This is where the misunderstandings start to appear. Many people find these interpretive ways of decoding problematical.

That's my five bob's worth anyway.
    Last edited by Red-Headed; 07-28-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Writing Proust-like rambly sentences
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Jesus then. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just waiting for an attack on homosexuals, oh, hold on wasn't there a thread knocking queer studies too? I guess fagots get knocked as well then. Maybe he was just joking? Give me a break.
    You seem very angry. Are you sure it is really all about G L?
    docendo discimus

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Headed View Post
    Unfortunately, all semiotic signifiers/signifieds at a written level need a cultural understanding textually to decipher the inherent denotative, connotative & mytho-cultural coding. Disregarding the supposed affective fallacy that the textual (& intertextual) meaning is dependent on the subjectivity of response of the reader deciphering the text will inevitably lead to a form textual determinism.

[snip]

That's my five bob's worth anyway.
    Good God. I'm sure it cost you more than five bob to learn to talk like that, but I'm not sure it was money well spent. Could you translate that into English, please?

You seem very angry. Are you sure it is really all about G L?
    Yes I am very angry. No it is not just about G L Wilson. It is also a little deeper. It is about how people can get sucked into following such nonsense, deciphering linguistic & semiotic codes, come on. Why do you follow such stuff?

Frankly I am a little disappointed.

Blog Entries
    Redheaded:

It is not a cheap shot and really how could I not read them as they are all clogging up the boards?
    So you didn't ask me why I find the holocaust funny then? It certainly looked like one to me.

I don't need to defend my criticisms as they are there for all to see.
    So I take it that's a 'no' then?

I am not the one posting 11 threads or whatever of one line wind-ups, including attacking women, jews, and black people.
    No, but you implied substantially that I found the holocaust humorous. That could be seen as an attack of sorts, at the very least 'baiting'. I'm not offended, I just expected a more sophisticated response.

Really why would you even defend him and attack me?
    I have come back to these boards after a two year hiatus, I have only just 'met' J L Wilson. I haven't found a reason yet to hound the bloke like some witch-hunting redneck posse, which is what it appears like to me.

I'm sorry, just where have I 'attacked' you? Show me the post.

I asked you to justify your position. That's all, I have not been offensive or charged you with finding the holocaust funny.

That's all.
    docendo discimus

Edit: Before I read your above post:

Anyway, why are we arguing? Let's just discuss the OP and have done with it.

Feminine culture - now there's an oxymoron.
    Yes sure, women can't have culture because they are too stupid.

Well, maybe he is just being humorous? Ha, ha, ha...

Give me a break and don't invent nonsense about this troll.

Blog Entries
    Yes I am very angry. No it is not just about G L Wilson. It is also a little deeper. It is about how people can get sucked into following such nonsense, deciphering linguistic & semiotic codes, come on. Why do you follow such stuff?
    I was taught it at university & I need a knowledge of linguistics & semiotics for my profession. What's nonsense to you is knowledge to me.

Frankly I am a little disappointed.
    Frankly, that doesn't surprise me somehow.
    docendo discimus

If we're seeing something that you're not, maybe it's not us. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that what you see is all there is. We all have blind spots. G.L.'s way of thinking and expressing himself seems to fall into one of yours. Doesn't mean you're wrong to be rubbed the wrong way, but don't get mad at others who don't share your opinion. It's bad for the blood pressure, and life's too short as it is. Just do what Mutatis did: decide that you don't understand G.L., nor are you interested, and ignore him.

Blog Entries
    Anyway, why are we arguing? Let's just discuss the OP and have done with it.
    There's an OP? Wow!

Give me a break and don't invent nonsense about this troll.
    Again, I tried to offer an explanation, even if it's nonsense to you, I didn't just describe the bloke as a troll.
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Good God. I'm sure it cost you more than five bob to learn to talk like that, but I'm not sure it was money well spent. Could you translate that into English, please?
    Ermmm ... sorry, basically, don't always take what you read at face value. The slang word 'fanny' biologically has a totally different geographical meaning to me (an English person) than it does to an American.

I still break out into a smile when I hear Americans talking of 'fanny bags'.
    docendo discimus

Ermmm ... sorry, basically, don't always take what you read at face value. The slang word 'fanny' biologically has a totally different geographical meaning to me (an English person) than it does to an American.

I still break out into a smile when I hear Americans talking of 'fanny bags'.
    :-) I've heard about that. I have the same reaction to the English calling an eraser a "rubber." Asking for those here will get you directed to a pharmacy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast