Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Greatest fears

Greatest fears

I would like to know your greatest fears or great fears you know. I know the general human fears like death or failure, but I also would like to know some personal fears that don't appear in statistics.
    My greatest personal fear is the fear of physical torture and eternity. So what are your's?

Closed
    I'm afraid of driving over suspension bridges. I have to choke back the panic with extreme concentration and assure myself it will be over soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    I'm afraid of driving over suspension bridges. I have to choke back the panic with extreme concentration and assure myself it will be over soon.
    People's fears are arbitrary. I once knew a guy who was afraid to shoot himself. Can you imagine?
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid of crowds. I recently learned all about the crowd crush incident that happened at Hillsborough killing 96 people and I felt all of the typical cliche things that people say they feel when they're presented with their phobia (iron bands around the chest, cold sweat, etc.).

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/kav.shtm

And the actual science of crowd crush itself - I can't even describe how horrible it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c..._least/cw5vxtm

Now that I live in a city of >1mil people, whenever I feel like my movement is in any way being directed or determined by the flow of the crowd, I find the nearest exit.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Cheddar View Post
    People's fears are arbitrary. I once knew a guy who was afraid to shoot himself. Can you imagine?
    I've wondered about the same thing, TC. Maybe I'm just afraid I'll drive off the bridge. But I used to climb mountains when I was young, and I wasn't afraid of falling off them. It's not that kind of fear anyway. It's irrational. I'm a perfectly good driver and the bridges have strong railings. But sometimes the panic is so bad I (rationally) fear I may faint behind the wheel and cause a crash. Driving over bridges--meaning driving across them--is my only phobia.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I'm afraid of crowds. I recently learned all about the crowd crush incident that happened at Hillsborough killing 96 people and I felt all of the typical cliche things that people say they feel when they're presented with their phobia (iron bands around the chest, cold sweat, etc.).
    I hate crowds, too, JW, although I'm not phobic about them. I've been in big crowds that started pushing, but my response has always been rational ("This is dangerous--what's the best way out?") mixed with a modicum of misanthropy ("Stupid people! I'm going to die because people are so stupid!"); but I'm not convinced that isn't a rational response, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    I hate crowds, too, JW, although I'm not phobic about them. I've been in big crowds that started pushing, but my response has always been rational ("This is dangerous--what's the best way out?") mixed with a modicum of misanthropy ("Stupid people! I'm going to die because people are so stupid!"); but I'm not convinced that isn't a rational response, too.
    Well actually, I hate crowds too. I guess a lot of fears don't seem to be rational anyways.
    Thank you for the fast replies.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    People who hide their cankles and those with orange hair, put another way, politics and politicians.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10