Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pride and prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    This might sound strange but I actually can't remember if I have read Persuasion as I've seen so many Austens and read this and that. I don't think I have read it all the way through perhaps? However, I much prefer P&P over Persuasion in terms of the adaptations I have seen. I have also just finished reading P&P again and don't think my great enjoyment of it can be bettered by a reading of Persuasion in any way. Persuasion would have to be vastly better than the adaptions have shown it. P&P for me just sparkled all the way through so much that it would take something wonderful to beat it. Mr Collins in particular is such a fantastic comic character, brilliantly done.
    For me, Peruasion sparkled in a different way. P&P sparkles in a young energetic way, Persuasion sparkles in a more mature way. Having now read all of Austen (or the major ones anyway), I think she was still 'finding' her style somehow. NA and P&P are both biting satires (the latter a little bit deeper than the former), S&S is a bit more serious, but I find a little awkward. Emma is more and more complex satire again. Mansfield Park is more symbolic and more serious. There are funny bits, like aunt Norris. The conversation about the apricot tree is hilarious if it is read as starting from the idea that the apricot stands for knowledge, wisdom and maturity. But the whole of that novel is not laughing from beginning to end, not like P&P. And so is Persuasion. It sparkles, but it is the sparkling of a thirty-year old woman, not one of 17. if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Got a massive period drama addiction going on at the moment, both me and Mrs Neely. We have just finished re-watching the likes of Jane Eyre, P&P, North and South, Persuasion and have Sense and Sensibility, which we have seen before, but also have The Buccaneers and Wives and Daughters lined up, which we haven't. Well Mrs N has seen The Buccaneers, but not Wives and Daughters. As for reading; I don't know what to read next?
    I wish I had a hubby like that. :jealous:
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Seasider
    @Neely (and Mrs Neely)
    Wot...no Cranford? A lovely film, esp Eileen Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    For me, Peruasion sparkled in a different way. P&P sparkles in a young energetic way, Persuasion sparkles in a more mature way. Having now read all of Austen (or the major ones anyway), I think she was still 'finding' her style somehow. NA and P&P are both biting satires (the latter a little bit deeper than the former), S&S is a bit more serious, but I find a little awkward. Emma is more and more complex satire again. Mansfield Park is more symbolic and more serious. There are funny bits, like aunt Norris. The conversation about the apricot tree is hilarious if it is read as starting from the idea that the apricot stands for knowledge, wisdom and maturity. But the whole of that novel is not laughing from beginning to end, not like P&P. And so is Persuasion. It sparkles, but it is the sparkling of a thirty-year old woman, not one of 17. if you see what I mean.

I wish I had a hubby like that. :jealous:
    Yes I see what you mean about the difference between P&P and Persuasion. (Also I actually like Northanger Abbey.) I guess I'll have to read Persuasion (again?) to see for myself. I love the light fizz of P&P though, top stuff.

On the hubby bit, I have been told that I have my faults also, I don't quite believe it myself though.

I wasn't impressed with the first part of The Buccanners though, hope the second is better...

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    @Neely (and Mrs Neely)
    Wot...no Cranford? A lovely film, esp Eileen Atkins.
    Mrs N has seen that and liked it. I've not. That's maybe one to add to the list, but got a bit of a stockpile of them at the moment. Also, I have forced my brother to watch North and South, ha, ha, ha...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123