Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prostitution: English major styles

Blog Entries

Prostitution: English major styles

The title may be a bit misleading.....admittedly an attempt to grab attention - read on.

I came across something today that I may be over-reacting to, but wanted to get the opinion of people who's opinion on this sort of matter I respect.
    (so much lead in, I know!)

Someone recommended I check this out after I mentioned I'm looking for ways to make money while trying to find a more permanent job than I have:

http://essayexperts.ca/

Essentially, it`s an essay writing service. Students submit requests and writers pretty much do their essays for them. Now these essays are meant to be "models" for the students to then emulate in order to create their own essay...but who are we kidding? Students pay for an essay which they can then pass off on their own - that is what I'm getting from this. So really, isn't this just prostitution for English majors/writers?

Has anyone come across or used such a service? Am I really out of line here with my thinking?
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    As an undergraduate, using this service could result in expulsion, certainly a fail for the unit the paper was submitted. I believe it comes under the umbrella of plagiarism, although I have heard some students use it but uni's are privy to these services as well so personally, I would never risk it. I know one tutor who picked up on it simply because of the distinct difference in writing style and referencing.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are also special websites employed by education institutions that utilize Google-like search capabilities to check against the possible use of such services.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I'd do it. But I'd hesitate to encourage others to do it for the obvious ethical issues doing it raises. Then there's paranoia, the what if a customer decides to sue the company and you're somehow dragged into it despite the company's assurances that nothing like that would ever happen.

But again, speaking for myself, if they're willing to pay good money for what I might be able to do fairly well and might even enjoy doing, I would have no moral scruples for prostituting myself.

Blog Entries
    I'd do it also. Why should you feel guilty? If the business model is as you described, then I'd think of it that way. You are not responsible for idiot students and their ploys to cheat/plagiarize or simply flunk out. If it's a legitimate gig, with a real pay check and you need the money... But the other question is do you have other alternatives like tutoring at a firm for university test prep? Something along these lines can be lucrative as well.

Blog Entries
    I abhor cheats. They disgust me and deserve everything that is coming to them.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    The title may be a bit misleading.....admittedly an attempt to grab attention - read on.

I came across something today that I may be over-reacting to, but wanted to get the opinion of people who's opinion on this sort of matter I respect.

Someone recommended I check this out after I mentioned I'm looking for ways to make money while trying to find a more permanent job than I have:

Essentially, it`s an essay writing service. Students submit requests and writers pretty much do their essays for them. Now these essays are meant to be "models" for the students to then emulate in order to create their own essay...but who are we kidding? Students pay for an essay which they can then pass off on their own - that is what I'm getting from this. So really, isn't this just prostitution for English majors/writers?

Has anyone come across or used such a service? Am I really out of line here with my thinking?
    The whole idea as far make money very affords, but on other hands if the "customer" uses this service all time pure because of social life or lazy then fail because they did not understand the purpose of the essays then that stupid fault.

I would not feel comfortable used this so called service because I feel that I would be cheat and plus it un ethic if you not bright enough to do work yourself then you should not be here.
    Last edited by zoolane; 11-04-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    I abhor cheats. They disgust me and deserve everything that is coming to them.
    The world is full of private jets with a bunch of cheats sitting back drinking champagne. They do get what's coming to them and it is absolution and a life unreachable for the other 99%.

We can forget about natural justice or Karma. As for me, I model after Robin Hood.

Blog Entries
    But on occasion, some do get what's coming to them. There is no guaranteed absolution.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    While at university, I was twice offered money to take the English proficiency exam in someone else's place.

The amounts offered on both occassions were enough to cover my expenses for a term and, being a student who relied on scholarships to carry on with my own studies, I was admittedly very tempted but declined on both occassions and kept studying harder not to lose my scholarships.

I don't think anyone should do anything that might cause them a moral twinge now or later.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting to see how different culture view cheating. I have the advantage of living and studying in two cultures. When I studied in my country, we were helping each other and with determination we cheated if it was necessary. Professors knew it and it was a matter who was smarter. Well, our creativity flourished and studying was pleasure and fun. I didn’t have the same experience when I studied in North America. Students were highly competitive and cheating was out of question. I only enjoyed it because I chose a field that I was passionate about. I don’t like competition but cooperation. Well, moral codes are different in different cultures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post

I attended a highly competitive high school. Children were expelled for using such a service as the one aforementioned. Cheating is very taboo and highly disapproved in the society I grew up in.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    I attended a highly competitive high school. Children were expelled for using such a service as the one aforementioned. Cheating is very taboo and highly disapproved in the society I grew up in.
    Yes, different cultures, different values. I don’t think that it is that much about cheating as it is about cooperation. I helped many times my friends. I didn’t feel guilty as I wanted them to finish university. On the contrary, I was happy as they graduated. It more about competition that is not healthy. My family doctor’s son studied here . After first year, he decided to study in my country. I told him that he made a right decision as he hated studying here. Next year, he will finish medical school and he has been thriving studying there. It is cooperation that makes a huge difference. Secondly, I have never seen at university any student who suffered from depression. A few were stressed out as they wanted to stay at university. Others enjoyed studying, learning, and having fun. I can't say that about North America. We may ask what is more important mental health and pleasure of studying or competition that affect mental and emotional states of students.

How can we cooperate if there's no cheating? If you love the subject, you will cheat. Some cultures prefer students who don't use other people for writing their essays. Is that a good idea if we want everyone to write good essays? Maybe the online essays are quite good. And there's no competition . It's positive. BUYING ESSAYS IS COOPERATION YOU SILLIES lol I know about my experience, and so you shouldn't believe yours so much--you might be surprised. I know I have seen many people who tried to understand their own way--but they should use other people to tell them. Don't compete. You might be wrong. I will think my own way. I have studied this and other things. I used essays and the other students did it and I didn't have to compete. Did you use the other students' work? You should listen to me. Maybe I am helping you cheat with life? No problem.
    Last edited by billl; 11-07-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I definitely don't have the balls to cheat on that sort of level. I admit I have snuck in cheat sheets for exams in math and foreign language classes, and never a moral twinge have I felt. But even that made me nervous. I think it's funny how many are willing to cheat on this scale to seemingly alleviate stress, because if I did, I would be much more of a nervous wreck than if I just buckled down and actually did the work.

As to if I would write a paper for someone . . . maybe. I'm not a fan of writing papers, even if I'm good at it, so the pay would have to be pretty good. I think if it was something like an engineering major just trying to get through a crappy English class, I'd do it, but I wouldn't for any English majors.

Also, I think it's funny that students even try this, as any teacher who pays the least bit of attention to their students' papers should be able to spot a paper written by someone else quite easily. 9 times out of 10 it's going to be the students who are bad at writing papers who try this, and when a paper comes in without the usual horrible grammar and structure, it's a pretty big red flag.

P.S. Bill: That has to be the most annoying post I've ever seen. It doesn't even make since, sans emoticons.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast