Thread: the aeneid

Post the aeneid

hi, im working on report and i was wondering if anyone can help me with this question. Does Aeneus make the right decision in leaving Dido? Why or why not with three reasons. Thanks.

It is not like he have any options, he is a classic tragic hero, that means a destiny is set and he can even try, but never will succeed.
    And the answer is simple yes, since without that he would never be the founder of the Roman Empire, and all that Aeneus is as a Hero is to be the founding father of that Empire.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes he did do the right thing - the major reason, if I remember correctly, is because he was fated to. He had this sense of duty/obligation from the gods to keep going forward. He wanted to stay, but he had to leave to fulfil his fate of starting the Roman Empire. Without this decision, it could not have been possible.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

After the hamartia, the classic hero has absolutely no control of events. He is destined to fail usually before he begins, and that is what truly makes it a tragedy. The classic hero generally has no choices, and acts the way the gods, society, and fate itself chooses for him.

Well first of all have you read the Aeneid? If yuo have you should know the answer. Fate calls him to leave so he has too. Its not really his decision.

The gods interfere with his life and make him continue on his journey to fulfil his destiny. He is deaf to the pleas of Dido and her sister, but insists on leaving. He is right to leave as he needs to fulfil his destiny and find a place for his people to settle. However, he isn't very sympathetic to Dido and could have broken the news to her rather than just deciding to let her find out through him getting the ships ready to leave.

I would agree that Aeneas had no choise on how to proceed.

I once stated in a Classics lesson that if maybe the Carthaginians had won the punic wars the epic would have been able to end at book 4

Quote Originally Posted by libby2007 View Post
    hi, im working on report and i was wondering if anyone can help me with this question. Does Aeneus make the right decision in leaving Dido? Why or why not with three reasons. Thanks.
    No, He does not make the right decision. We can see this by the death of Dido. Right decisions do not result in catastrophe. He left his true love. He abandoned her. Even though he accomplished much it did not last and it could not because he left his heart. Although many may say he was strong and made the right decision for his people then why does he try to gain Dido's forgiveness after death? He was clearly a little boy coward. Blinded by glory he left the things that were truly important. He should have enlisted her help and taken her with him. He really did not have any guts.
    Last edited by pamelanne; 12-11-2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: forgot something

This is ridiculous. You all act as if Aeneus had no choice. A classic tragic hero, fated by the gods. What a ridiculous way to refuse to be responsible. He was a wimp. That's it. He was not a hero. He should have followed his heart and he and Dido could have made great things happen. No one even considers this. They venerate a coward.
    Last edited by pamelanne; 12-11-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: mispelled words

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Could be the classic male aversion to commitment!
    The episode reminds me of something the great Roger Ebert often mentions in his film reviews: If the hero stopped and thought for a moment he would do the right thing, but were that to happen, it would be an extremely
    short movie.
    also, when I was reading this as a grad student way, way back several Presidential administrations ago, I remember
    the Professor mentioning how he knew a man who named his boat "The Dido." I guess that's REALLY tempting fate!