View Poll Results: Which Bronte sister is your favorite?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charlotte

15 39.47%
  • Emily

15 39.47%
  • Anne

8 21.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bronte Sisters!

Oh yeah, the film really sucked! I did not like it at all myself.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I'd have to say Emily because I love Wuthering Heights. It's one of my favourite novels of all time. Next would be Anne because I enjoyed reading Wildfell Hall, and I think it deserves more praise then it sometimes gets.

I least like Charlotte, and I know this sounds mean, but I don't think I'd even like her as a person. She said some very offensive things about Roman Catholics during her lifetime, and I'm Roman Catholic, so...
    But I do like Jane Eyre. Jane is a great character, but the story is unrealistic to me.

If I was completely objective I'll have to pick Emily, because I think her's is by far the best novel. But I'm not, so I pick Charlotte. I feel as if she's written just for me-I feel such a connection with everything she's written.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

I like Charlotte Bronte most of all because of her courage to draw so near from her experiences no matter how painful they were and for her personal voice. I always found fascinating the near study of writer's life and their work. And she is a perfect example of that. I find her personality very interesting and I admire her passion and determination. I also like the fact that her writings have a certain sexual tension that is not so apparent in her sisters' novels. Love is a central issue for her.
    Jane Eyre is my all time favorite novel, but I feel that in some future period in my life, I will come to love Villette as much. It is such a deep book that one, that it requires several readings before you say you have totally grasp what was in it. It already has started to grow on me.
    "Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not match the expectation." - Charlotte Bronte (Villette)

Which bronte sister do I like the best?

It's a difficult question, but Charlotte is my favorite, followed by Anne and then Emily.
    "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will . . ."
    -Jane Eyre

Procrastinator
    Since this thread keeps getting revived...

Definately Charlotte. I love Jane Eyre, it's one of my favourite novels. Liked Villette as well although not as much.

Then it's Anne, though I've only had the chance to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I feel like she's underated (but not enough to put her above Charlotte).

Then there's Emily. I keep meaning to read some of her poetry but I'm put off by the fact that I detest Wuthering Heights. I actually mean to reread that as well because I just think I must be missing something. I really really hated that novel, possibly more than any other I've read. I was ready to love it and was bitterly disappointed!

I always have liked Emily, then Anne and then Charlotte.
    I just have always loved Wuthering Heights, and whenever I have read any biographys of the three, I always seem more connected with Emily and her work.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGirl View Post
    I'd have to say Emily because I love Wuthering Heights. It's one of my favourite novels of all time. Next would be Anne because I enjoyed reading Wildfell Hall, and I think it deserves more praise then it sometimes gets.

I least like Charlotte, and I know this sounds mean, but I don't think I'd even like her as a person. She said some very offensive things about Roman Catholics during her lifetime, and I'm Roman Catholic, so...
    But I do like Jane Eyre. Jane is a great character, but the story is unrealistic to me.
    I also don't Charlotte. She was meanie Imagine woman, who hates every fun and good things (Jane Austen, Catholics, etc, etc.). Everything is bad for her. I adore Anne's writtings (which means only one Agnes Grey, I haven't read the others) and Emily's personality. You can say what ever you like, but Charlotte is mean

I like Anne best and Charlotte least. Heh.

I absolutely prefere Charlotte: I have more affinity with her themes, her stories and her characters; Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and I appreciate her not only as a writer, but also as a human being.
    I also like Emily: I find her descriptions among the best I have ever read, her style is really captivating, and even if I disliked the most of Wuthering Heights characters, I really enjoyed the book.
    Anne, is surely my least favorite: I read Agnes Grey, but I found it boring, plain and, especially, without depth: it was like she had shame of expressing feelings, so we never got the chance to go into Agnes' feelings and thoughts.

I voted Emily. I have only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, so I am not giving Anne a fair chance, but I am not going to worry about that. I did not like Jane Eyre very much, but I found Wuthering Heights interesting, and nicely written.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Charlotte Bronte for the fact that I loved all of her novels, and Gaskell's Life of Charlotte Bronte. The novels are wonderful forays into the early/mid 19th century, and tackle so many different issues that spread into the vast spectrum that is literary theory. Jane Eyre sparked my love for everything I've read from 2008-present, so I'm backing Charlotte all the way!

I love Emily and Anne as well, and to those who chose them, I get it!

I’m torn between Charlotte and Emily. Wuthering Heights is a great novel and so is Jane Eyre. One deal with passion, obsession and revenge while other with oppression, love and morality. All right, I voted.

Only on Chapter 5 of Jane Eyre. When does the exciting stuff happen?

From Chapter 12 onwards, when Mr Rochester bursts into Jane's life on his black horse.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast