Thread: *Spoilers be careful!* Certain themes in the Movie Version *Spoilers be careful!*

*Spoilers be careful!* Certain themes in the Movie Version *Spoilers be careful!*

*SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOIL ERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!*

This post involves the 2012 movie version of "Les Miserables". If you have NOT seen the movie or the musical please do not keep reading. Seriously. This post involves spoilers which could ruin the plot.

The story of "Les Miserables", as you probably know, involves redemption. Jean Valjean turns from hate to love. From being bitter to being kind. In the movie his transformation seems to be easy and final. Yet in real life it is not as easy or as quick as that. When God helps people change for the better it is a process. There are days when people can be bitter and days they can be loving. Yet with God helping you there is hope. You will have bad days. I am being realistic. Having God in your life, praying to God, believing in God, praising God does not mean life will be perfect.

Yet it DOES mean that He will be there to help you. For when you are down and out, you will have someone who wants to help you and can help you. That does not mean that you will not face trials. You may face a trial yet if you pass it then you will be stronger because of the trial and you will be closer to God. Please pray to God and ask Him into your life if you haven't. He wants you to know Him. He wants you to be free from sin. Yes, it is still possible to sin but with Christ you are forgiven. He sees your hurting heart and desires to see it healed. It may take time. Yet if you reach out to God and ask Him to help He will. It may not be immediate or in the way you expect, but He will help you.

For there is God and His name is Jehovah. The Father sits on his eternal throne. There is Savior whose name is Jesus. There is a sentient Holy Spirit who is the third person in the Holy Trinity.

Also pray for a church. Sit quietly and pray for God to lead you to people who truly believe in God and do their best to follow His teachings. This doesn't mean that they won't mess up. I know that I do; I am FAR from perfect. Yet there are people out there who can help you learn about God. Where you can be with people who teach about God. When you pray for a church, wait and reflect on what you think God is telling you. Then when you are sure then follow through and go talk to someone there.

Remember, just because they are Christian does NOT mean that they are perfect. Yet these people can still help you learn about God. The church you choose to go to can be a place for you to learn and grow in God.

You need to take the first step but He will meet you. For He is faithful and true.

*SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOIL ERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!**SPOILERS!*

Blog Entries
    I think you need to revisit the definition of spoilers.

Victor Hugo (author of Les Miserables) was both quite religious and critical of religion (namely, the Catholic church). Both aspects come across in Les Miserables. Javert's belief that convicts and poor people are and always will be sinners and can never be redeemed is a good example of this. Valjean's sudden redemption - and the entire nature of redemption in the novel - questions the Church's philosophy on the matter.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I think you need to revisit the definition of spoilers.

Victor Hugo (author of Les Miserables) was both quite religious and critical of religion (namely, the Catholic church). Both aspects come across in Les Miserables. Javert's belief that convicts and poor people are and always will be sinners and can never be redeemed is a good example of this. Valjean's sudden redemption - and the entire nature of redemption in the novel - questions the Church's philosophy on the matter.
    I was just erring on the side of caution. In case someone who didn't know anything about the story read the thread. Before reading the book or seeing the musical or movie. That spoiler warning was for someone who had no idea what the story of "Les Miserables" is about.

It was interesting to see the rivalry between Valjean and Javert. Valjean was trying to remake his life, though he broke the law doing so. Despite the fact that he was on life time parole for just stealing bread. Javert was about 100% justice with no room for mercy. Those two being at odds is one of the reasons I enjoyed the movie, personally.

Seeing one standing for Mercy and the other for Justice and the two clashing. One truly wanted to help Cosette because of his vow to Fantine and because Cosette needed the help. Yet Javert was absolutely determined to arrest Valjean. That made for an exciting dynamic.

About Fantine. Yes, her situation was heart-wrenching. Yet she was doing what she was doing out of love for her daughter. She was sacrificing so much so her daughter could live. That was something positive in all of the bad of her situation. That she was doing all of that out of love and care for her daughter.
    Last edited by PhoenixMatthias; 01-10-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Adding some things.

Blog Entries
    ^This.

I agree that, although there are many amazing parts to the book (and movie I suppose) - Valjean and Javert's relationship is amongst the best. It is not a standard hero(Valjean)/villain(Javert) dynamic: Javert feels fully justified in what he is doing, and why (NOW THERE ARE SPOILERS) he kills himself when confronted with the idea that he was wrong - that everything his built his world around was shaky.

As for Fantine, she is such a wonderful character - and I think Hathaway did a wonderful job and deserves the Oscar for this one. Fantine is the fallen woman who falls so quickly. One "sin" (premarital sex) destroys her so absolutely, and until the very end of her young life, there is no one in the world who cares about her.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...