Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: To Swear Or Not To Swear

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    No, my reaction would be "As you know nothing about my mother, I can't see why I should consider anything you say about her."

Now - as I've answered your question, please answer mine. Both of mine, preferably.

So what, then, do you do if someone who does know your mother makes the same insulting comment? Or what if the individual replies, "Au contraire! But I do know your mother. Intimately. I f***-ed her last night. And she most certainly was a whore."?
    I'd say, "That's very silly. Come on - what's really upset you?"

But - okay let's agree that I have no honour and no diginity. Fine. What I'm trying to find out here is in what way Alexander's honour is impugned by someone saying a bad sentence with the word 'mother' in it. Hence the little experiment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    I'd say, "That's very silly. Come on - what's really upset you?"

But - okay let's agree that I have no honour and no diginity. Fine. What I'm trying to find out here is in what way Alexander's honour is impugned by someone saying a bad sentence with the word 'mother' in it. Hence the little experiment.
    Ok I see your point, the thing is, the word mother is not just a word -it is a way of insulting a man to his core.

You see, if I called you a c.u.n.t - I would be trying to offend you.

I I said your mother is a whore - not only would I be trying to offend you, but I would touching something very deep - something beyond myself, yet more important that myself. The same is applicable to your spouse or daughter or mother. I don't know quite well how to explain it truly, I am Italian, for us a mother is sacred. From the workers to the bourgoise to the agnelli's - the mother is sacred.

As for your experiment, the only one there which is insulting is the last one. Unless of course my mother was Merkel, in which case the last one and the EU one would be offensive. But I would have hoped that you intended that as rethorical, as I do quite hope you can tell the difference between me saying your mother can't cook in jest, or me saying your mother is a whore. not so much in jest.

The way i see it, someone calling my mother a whore has nothing to do with my honor. It is what I do which affect my honor. Honor is self-respect - It is about doing that which will let you reach the end of your days and say I did it right. Cowardice is one of the things which I detest most, don't know why, but for me courage is the chief virtue. It is courage which differntiates between existance and life. But **** im 19. AT my age I have only ever behaved with courage. I suppose by your age the majority of people have so many cowardly acts under their belt that they begin to view courage as a lesser virtue, and cowardice as normal - in order to still see themselves with their self-respect.
    Last edited by Alexander III; 02-17-2012 at 07:08 AM.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Ok I see your point, the thing is, the word mother is not just a word -it is a way of insulting a man to his core.

You see, if I called you a c.u.n.t - I would be trying to offend you.

I I said your mother is a whore - not only would I be trying to offend you, but I would touching something very deep - something beyond myself, yet more important that myself. The same is applicable to your spouse or daughter or mother. I don't know quite well how to explain it truly, I am Italian, for us a mother is sacred. From the workers to the bourgoise to the agnelli's - the mother is sacred.

As for your experiment, the only one there which is insulting is the last one. Unless of course my mother was Merkel, in which case the last one and the EU one would be offensive. But I would have hoped that you intended that as rethorical, as I do quite hope you can tell the difference between me saying your mother can't cook in jest, or me saying your mother is a whore. not so much in jest.

The way i see it, someone calling my mother a whore has nothing to do with my honor. It is what I do which affect my honor. Honor is self-respect - It is about doing that which will let you reach the end of your days and say I did it right. Cowardice is one of the things which I detest most, don't know why, but for me courage is the chief virtue. It is courage which differntiates between existance and life. But **** im 19. AT my age I have only ever behaved with courage. I suppose by your age the majority of people have so many cowardly acts under their belt that they begin to view courage as a lesser virtue, and cowardice as normal - in order to still see themselves with their self-respect.
    On the contrary, I think it takes a lot of courage not to get drawn into a stupid fight with someone who's deliberately trying to rile you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    On the contrary, I think it takes a lot of courage not to get drawn into a stupid fight with someone who's deliberately trying to rile you.
    haha whatever makes you happy - like I said before I will never understand your position and you shall never understand mine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I definitely tend towards Mark's method of dealing with antagonists, but maybe that's because there's no way I could ever win a fight.
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 02-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    My method is usually to make fun of jerks until they hilariously freak out and try to attack me. In this case, if I were coming out of the bathroom and some woman said that my mother was a whore (it's happened), I'd say "of course my mother is a whore; we're all whores, the women of my family. That's why I'm able to afford this" (indicating outfit) "while you're forced to wear..." (crooked smirk whilst staring brazenly at her torso) "...that."

You'll find that when you're dealing with a female jackass, insulting their appearance cuts right to the core, they're usually pretty insecure. Hitting on them is also a very fun method, haha, it throws them right off.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 02-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

[QUOTE=stlukesguild;1115968]

By the way... am I the first one to sense a degree of Schizophrenia in you obsession with petite, young, Chinese girls and watermelon breasts?
    Well I have to admit that the Chinese girls of my acquaintance have a superstructure of more manageable proportions, but I did once have a passing liaison with a young lady in a Frankfurt girlie bar who would have been a contender for a Golden Globes award.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    My method is usually to make fun of jerks until they hilariously freak out and try to attack me. In this case, if I were coming out of the bathroom and some woman said that my mother was a whore (it's happened), I'd say "of course my mother is a whore; we're all whores, the women of my family. That's why I'm able to afford this" (indicating outfit) "while you're forced to wear..." (crooked smirk whilst staring brazenly at her torso) "...that."

You'll find that when you're dealing with a female jackass, insulting their appearance cuts right to the core, they're usually pretty insecure. Hitting on them is also a very fun method, haha, it throws them right off.
    Yes but your are a girl (blah blah blah opression of women by steryotypes)

Girls who physicaly fight tend to be trashy, it is rather unatractive.

As for you Mutis, you have a rather valid reason afterall.

Maybe it is very anachronistic of me, but to let another man demene me and not retort, I could not live with that. 200 years ago the system ofnDuelling was well established around europe. I like that, that a man would place his honor above his live. Nowadays, people seem to value their life so very much and honor so very little - So I know that mark is entirley representitive of the modern zeitgesit, and I am the odd one. But dam, a man who values his life more than anything else is for me nothing more than an animal, soley concerned with the baser aspects of mankind.

Blog Entries

That's what I would do!

News flash for guys, men who get in fist fights over petty words seem trashy too. A nice cool shun is always more impressive.

I had a boyfriend who frequently got into fights; fights over my "honor," his mother's, bad business deals and etc. It was embarassing that he had so little self control. He ended up in the hospital multiple times. He spent three days in jail and got hit with a personal injury lawsuit. If a person isn't intelligent enough to best someone with wit, and can be provoked to physical fights so easily, that's a huge weakness and it's not attractive.

If some guy calls your mother a puke-ugly pig and you hit him, you're giving him exactly what he wanted. Kudos to you for being a chump.

The best predictor of murder and violent crime in a community is the prevalence of men age 15-25 within that community. The prefrontal cortex (that part of the brain responsible for social behavior and impulse control) isn't fully developed in humans until around age 25.

I'm just sayin'...
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    The best predictor of murder and violent crime in a community is the prevalence of men age 15-25 within that community. The prefrontal cortex (that part of the brain responsible for social behavior and impulse control) isn't fully developed in humans until around age 25.

I'm just sayin'...
    That may not explain everything but it sure explains a lot.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 02-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Yup.

As for why the infinitely more responsible female gender of the species seems to be drawn to this live-fast-and-die-young type, I've always wondered about that. I suppose they're reasoning goes something like this: this probably won't end well, but at least it won't be boring.
    Uhhhh...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    That may not expain everything it sure explains a lot.
    It is vain for the coward to flee; death follows close behind; it is only by defying it that the brave escape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Girls who physicaly fight tend to be trashy, it is rather unatractive.
    I'm a skilled fighter (*pride*). Anyway, I don't fight regular people in daily situations. It sounds stupid to some people, but I was trained to view non-sport fights as something to be very ashamed of, whether we're male or female. I started taekwondo when I was six, so that's how I was raised. I've only really been in three (four if you stretch your imagination) "real" fights in my life, one time a very scary old man burned my little brother with a cigarette when he was nine and I was fourteen, another time I stupidly jumped into the fray when my friend Steve was getting beaten up by two native guys (bad idea, VERY bad). I've got a "smart mouth" though, so I get attacked sometimes, haha. It's never been anything, light as air - you'll find that in the "real world," very few people actually know how to hit, and actually they're very rarely willing to do so. The vast majority of people really don't want to fight, so they'll usually just say "f*ck you," and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    As for why the infinitely more responsible female gender of the species seems to be drawn to this live-fast-and-die-young type, I've always wondered about that. I suppose they're reasoning goes something like this: this probably won't end well, but at least it won't be boring.
    *insert long evolutionary theory response*

It's in our genes (I could have punned here, but I restrained myself).
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 02-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries

It's true that it seems like men in general desire women far more than women in general desire men (that's another reason why I've always thought that there might be something wrong with me in terms of gender). I don't know why (actually that's not true, I could spit some evolutionary theory but that would completely derail the thread), but it definately gives women power over you. This common male obsession seems to make many men weak. I have friends who make men practically crawl though glass with nary a promise, and then they walk away and he thanks her for it. In fact, I'm not proud of it but I've banked on my looks to get out of trouble (hey, it was A LOT of trouble, if I can get out of it in any way, I'm going to). It was easy, and the poor schluck who should have gotten off scott-free was completely screwed. The sexual obsession of many males makes them putty, which is why I have never dated a slathering idiot. I have no time for people who are subservient.
    I've always thought that was the case too, but now I'm not so sure. If I wear my hair in the style of that goof from twilight I get girls screaming and drooling at me from all sides, ranging in age from 15-45. I think its more a matter of standards. Men usually have lower standards regarding sexual partners than do women, due to the fact that a woman can get knocked up and the man can just jet. I believe that women ultimately want men as much as men want them, you just want more than merely someone to have sex with.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast