Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prose Poem: Untitled

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    remain nonchalant to formalists' prodding, and you'll be fine. hehehehe
    What do you mean by formalists?

Quote Originally Posted by cogs View Post
    your conclusion may be a developmental phase of man. i saw how small starlights are similar to bits that control screenlight (starlit bits, lol). at first, i took the obelisk to mean the moon, which was confusing. perhaps, since it's ubiquitous, it's an experience of knowledge, or maybe just the known universe?
    By Oblique I think I meant Oblique, hehe, but in all seriousness I rarely give single literal meanings to my metaphors. I mean if I wanted to imply the moon I would have said moon, or some such thing which would immediately out the moon in the readers mind. The beauty of the simile or metaphor is that it expresses a certain "something" for which there are no words, or if there are words they are inconclusive and ineffectual, if there were a word which clearly defines the "something" already I think a metaphor or simile would be affected and only bring down the piece.

by 'oblique', do you mean "the ubiquitous and dark obelisk"? i can understand if you want to keep things mysterious. i guess my metaphors are mostly based in something that i actually do want the reader to decipher, since my poem is set in their minds when they reread with new perspective.

Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed the experience of reading that piece Alex. I know that my knowledge of poetry is limited but anyone is entitled to say what they like and what they don't like and I was carried off across time on this. Beautiful.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    What do you mean by formalists?
    Because Hawkman and I dare mention things like meter (sometimes) we're stuffy, passe formalists who can only analyze poetry prior to 1900... according to miyako.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusSandman View Post
    Because Hawkman and I dare mention things like meter (sometimes) we're stuffy, passe formalists who can only analyze poetry prior to 1900... according to miyako.
    Ahh thanks for that, I was quite lost there - naturally I shall remain aloof from such differences of opinion.

Banned
    I can't edit and delete this one too, could a mod do me a favor and delete it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12