Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pick your e-reader

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    I got one for my birthday. I'm most impressed. The download is efficient. The screen is easy to read. The controls are simple. I'm studying maths at the moment, and I'll still be getting, or using my maths textbooks, but it means the fiction piles will diminish. I knew it would be good and it is.

Fantastic.
    Oh great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    However, if you had to buy the physical book for each book you downloaded, would that not defeat the object? It is certainly an investment considering that all classic texts are free. As I say, I've spend nearly as much on books in a month as would almost cover the cost of the Kindle itself.
    Not at all, it would just serve as my portable library. Some titles I may be able to do without the physical copy but it would bother me not having the paper and ink. It is the same with my music I need to own the CD and then upload to the computer rather than just downloading it.
    Latest Blog: An Impassioned and Immediate Response to Dan Hodges, Political Writer, Daily Telegraph.
    http://britishpharaoh.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just got an iPad for Christmas and the Kindle is a way better reading device (though, the iPad wasn't bought for me intended to be mainly and eReader). It's just too big and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
    Not at all, it would just serve as my portable library. Some titles I may be able to do without the physical copy but it would bother me not having the paper and ink. It is the same with my music I need to own the CD and then upload to the computer rather than just downloading it.
    But then you've got two identical libraries on two formats. That's up to you of course, but personally I think it is better to bite the bullet and just treat the books on the ereader as the same. This way you can twice the number of books for the same cost. It makes sense I have found to use the kindle for the free/cheap books and to buy paper books when they are the same price (that's a con) or not available or useful, like the study books, on the kindle. You can always have both for those extra special books.

Blog Entries
    There's the space issue as well. I don't live in a big house, and I've long since given up trying to have a library. There are plenty of books I could re-read - though I tend not to. Rather than have them hanging around in the house, I'll have them hanging on my Kindle. Would I re-read all the books I liked and kept. Unlikely. I might as well jut pass them on for someone else.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    The missus has a Kindle and I have the Barnes & Noble Nook, both were acquired Chrsitmas 2009. They are pretty nifty devices and make outdoor reading, on a breezy day, much easier. I'm currently reading Hemingway; A Farewell to Arms and Goldsmith; She Stoops to Conquer on my Nook.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Kindle is hell. It's not ok. It's not ok to be reading nine books at once. It's like carrying a library with you. For a person who loves books and has intellectual ADD this is the worst thing ever.

J

Blog Entries
    I have a question for those of you using the Amazon Kindle. I've been wanting to get one for a while, and I waited for the release of Kindle Touch, but when that was released it was only shipped within the US - and I live in Sweden, so as of right now I can't get a hold of that, and I don't know when they'll release it in Europe. Here comes my question: Is it worth waiting for the Touch or is the standard Kindle equally good?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastmelon View Post
    I have a question for those of you using the Amazon Kindle. I've been wanting to get one for a while, and I waited for the release of Kindle Touch, but when that was released it was only shipped within the US - and I live in Sweden, so as of right now I can't get a hold of that, and I don't know when they'll release it in Europe. Here comes my question: Is it worth waiting for the Touch or is the standard Kindle equally good?
    I'm probably weird, but I hate touch screens. I like the little buttons on my Kindle. My friend has the Nook which is a touch screen, and I don't like it.

Blog Entries
    I'm three days in to my ownership of a kindle. First impressions are mixed. It does everything it should and is easy to understand, it works smoothly, it is easy to read, everything the makers claim for it is true.

But the experience isn't at all book like. It has me thinking about what a book is. It is an experience - or two experiences. The first is a vicarious one from the story as you follow the plot and invest time and emotion in it. Then you have the endorphin fuelled pleasure of settling down to read, of handleing and smelling The Book. At the moment the Kindle isn't delivering this.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 12-30-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    ay up

Seasider
    I received Peter Ackroyds London. The Biography as a Christmas present.
    It had good reviews and as a Londoner I was really pleased to have it. But when I started to read it and noted it has 775 pages of text and 20 more as index and sources,my arms were soon aching. It would be so much easier on my Kindle. I hope I will have the strength to get through it, but it will be difficult and slow.

Another plug for my Kindle but it is the best bit of electronic equipment I have ever bought.

Blog Entries
    I got a Nook Simple Touch for Christmas. So far, the experience has been enjoyable. It works well with novels, but not so well with poetry formats.
    Last edited by mortalterror; 12-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Kindle is hell. It's not ok. It's not ok to be reading nine books at once. It's like carrying a library with you. For a person who loves books and has intellectual ADD this is the worst thing ever.

J
    I usually have a number of books on the go at once. It'll be much easier now I've got the reading machine. I often flit hrough genres depending upon how I'm feeling.

I think my wife got me the reading machine becuse of the piles I'm constantly leaving around the house. Her piles are stuffed down the side of the bed whilst mine are manifest in a number of rooms. It just means that when we have visitors I have to stuff my piles into other rooms. Most inconveniant.

I usually have a number of books on the go at once. It'll be much easier now I've got the reading machine. I often flit hrough genres depending upon how I'm feeling.

I think my wife got me the reading machine becuse of the piles I'm constantly leaving around the house. Her piles are stuffed down the side of the bed whilst mine are manifest in a number of rooms. It just means that when we have visitors I have to stuff my piles into other rooms. Most inconveniant.
    I know what you mean with the piles' I've got the piles too. This was another reason I needed to get the kindle. Sure, I've still got the piles, but at least they shouldn't get much bigger, in theory. Right now I've got two chess boards, ten chess books (I've just counted) and my kindle on a pile by the sofa. It looks a mess, I might take one of the boards up in a bit as you've got to keep the missus happy from time to time I've found.

Account closed.
    I think my wife got me the reading machine because of the piles I'm constantly leaving around the house. Her piles are stuffed down the side of the bed whilst mine are manifest in a number of rooms. It just means that when we have visitors I have to stuff my piles into other rooms. Most inconveniant.
    Ha! I just got my husband a Kindle for Christmas, and my reason, in part, is what you think your wife's reason is!! He loves it, and this summer I can take it to the beach and read!!! That's another reason I got it- we can share. He got me a GPS because I have a great fear of getting lost, but we share that too! It's in our car. My rationale.