Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What about villains

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, how could I not think of the judge, I just finished that book LOL, though for me he would be a Catagory B.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    Next is Clytemnestra from Orestes, though classically she is meant to be the villain of the story, I personally see her as more of a tragic hero figure. I could not help but to find her an extremely powerful woman and living in such a patriarchal age, in spite of the questionable morals of killing her husband, I admired her strength and making a stand for herself against the social norms which oppressed her, and recognizing the double standards.
    Love Clytemnestra. Girl power!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Category A:

Well, Ahab from Moby Dick leaps immediately to mind - the sheer foce of his personality makes him as compelling to the reader as he is to the sailors.
    Miss Havisham from Great Expectations is also wonderfully characterised - though she does a great deal of harm, you can understand her motivations. The Phantom of the Opera has a similar gig going.

Category B:

Now for my favourite: the complete monsters. As she is one of my favourite characters ever, and I always want to promote her, there is the perennial villain of the Icelandic sagas: Queen Gunnhildr konungamóðir ('mother-of-kings'). Appearing in more sagas than any other single human character, she is a beautiful, ruthless man-hunter with a very casual approach to homicide; she's also a powerful enchantress, an adept politician, and a seducer par excellence.
    In a similar vein, you have the equally delectable Milady de Winter from The Three Musketeers. Finally, to add some male figures to the great pantheon of evil, I'll have to go for Shakespeare's Iago and Richard III.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Catergory A: Hannibal Lecter - He's so suave and debonair, who wouldn't want to spend an evening with him?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Category B- Humbert Humbert

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Category A:
    Bertha Mason from Jane Eyre (and no, not because of Wide Sargasso Sea)
    Lord Henry from Dorian Gray
    Oedipus
    Leontes from Winter's Tale (though he's arguably not a villain?)
    Grendel

Category B:
    Moriarty
    Abigail Williams from the Crucible. I really really hate her.
    Lorenzo from the Spanish Tragedy

Hmmm, I can't decide where Heathcliff goes. A year ago, I would've put him in Category A, but more recently I've had less and less sympathy for him.
    Ecce quam bonum et jocundum, habitares libros in unum!
    ~Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay

Blog Entries
    Category A: Hannibal Lecter, Frankenstein's Monster, Grendel, Smeagol, nearly all the pirates from Treasure Island (they don't really know any other way to live), many others I can't remember, Lucifer 'Paradise Lost', Cao Cao 'Three Kingdoms Romance', Yang Kang 'Legend of the Condor Heroes' by Louis Cha, Ouyang Feng 'Legend of the Condor Heroes', most of the gangsters in 'The Godfather'

Category B: Milady 'Three Musketeers'. I'm sure there are many others which don't immediately come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    Category A: Hannibal Lecter, Frankenstein's Monster, Grendel, Smeagol, nearly all the pirates from Treasure Island (they don't really know any other way to live), many others I can't remember, Lucifer 'Paradise Lost', Cao Cao 'Three Kingdoms Romance', Yang Kang 'Legend of the Condor Heroes' by Louis Cha, Ouyang Feng 'Legend of the Condor Heroes', most of the gangsters in 'The Godfather'

Category B: Milady 'Three Musketeers'. I'm sure there are many others which don't immediately come to mind.
    Hmm, I do not know if you assessment of Ouyang Feng or Yang Kang as dynamic or tragic-heroic. Perhaps in the third edition they were given more colour as characters, but the early Yang Kang, right through the second edition is rather one-dimensionally evil. In television he seems to be treated a little better because of his rather weak characterization in the novel, but the original conception I find of Yang Kang is in keeping with Jin Yong's early Sinocentrism - that is, you take two characters from essentially the same background, and you raise them in different spots, one with a "Confucian" mother, and simple nomads, and one raised by a "barbarian" father, and you end up with two different trajectories - one upon entrance into his "Chinese heritage" absorbs it, and accepts it, thereby forgoing his upbringing in keeping with his birthright, whereas the other rejects it. Nothing in the novel ever suggests to me any non-selfish act by the character, down to his last breath.

As for Ouyang Feng, to me that character reads as a comical ploy rather than much of a character. Here is there to balance off the righteous with the foil of the selfish - conveniently, he also is a "western barbarian." But on the whole he seems more dynamic than the rather minimal Yang Kang, whose role in the novel is quite minimal compared the television adaptations (They seem to make him an actual character, but in truth, Mu Nianci appears more than he does, and Ouyang Ke is more a central character than the two of them).

The only real dynamic hero, this is, up until the second edition of the text, in my eyes would be Genghis Kahn who seems to struggle with his sense of honor, value, and identity as "barbarian" within an ethnically biased novel.

Then again, Jin Yong at this point in his career wasn't much into complex characterization, so I would wager very few characters ever make it past card-board cut-out swordsmen. It really isn't until his next novel where he actually begins to cloud the distinction between good and bad on a level that effects the main characters in my eyes.

Sorry to go off on a tangent though, since I realize you were just naming names, but it is so rare that Jin Yong is mentioned on these boards, that perhaps a discussion would be interesting, despite 射雕英雄传 still being unavailable in English translation (though I read somewhere that one is pending).

wow

like it

Blog Entries
    JBI, you are probably right. Here's where I admit that I haven't read these Chinese books in their entirety, and am largely basing my opinions on the TV series depiction of them and the parts that I have read. But Mei Chaofeng in this 'Legend of the Condor Heroes' is a villain we can feel sympathy for, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    JBI, you are probably right. Here's where I admit that I haven't read these Chinese books in their entirety, and am largely basing my opinions on the TV series depiction of them and the parts that I have read. But Mei Chaofeng in this 'Legend of the Condor Heroes' is a villain we can feel sympathy for, isn't she?
    She is supposed to be. In the first edition she is a "redeemed" villain, but not exactly so interesting, whereas she is given much more backstory in the second edition, and then even more so (supposedly) in the third edition.

She however isn't so cut and paste - definitely more dynamic than the main hero, Guo Jing, but even so, she starts off as a horrific villain, and only moves toward forgiveness toward the end of her life.

As a character she seems to function as the darker aspect of her associative compliment, Huang Yaoshi, in that she represents the evil most people would see in him - embodied in his disciple, the crazy murdering witch.

He on the other hand is far more complex, and seems by the end to be shown in a rather favorable light (perhaps a change of heart within the serialization?)
    whereas she dies off, but is ultimately forgiven.

For a more interesting villain in the text, I think, one must turn to the villains outside of the martial world, and into the political world - Wanyan Honglie, and Genghis Kahn, who both offer interesting insights into the real idea of heroic, and right and wrong.

Even so though, Chinese fiction traditionally blurs right and wrong more than Western fiction. The whole idea of what is right, and what is wrong, is what is discussed, given that there is no divine framework or code by which to follow - the heroes themselves must decide what is right and wrong, and ultimately that is the climax of the book. The final chapters basically are didactic in their preaching, something which Jin Yong sought to undermine in his later novels, where he reversed his own didactic message in favor of a new, less jingoist, and more skeptical and cynical politics.

Seasider
    @Dark Muse
    There is a splendid poem about Medusa by Carol Ann Duffy in her collection The World's Wife. She clearly feels as you do.
    I was going to post it but c&p doesn't work on this board. You can Google it though.
    Category A
    Satan Paradise Lost
    Category B.Iago from Othello
    Uriah Heep from David Copperfield
    Last edited by Seasider; 11-02-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    For category B villains, there is the driver in Quentin Tarentino's Deathproof who delightfully gets his head kicked in in the end. Also the South African embassy workers in Leathal Weapon II, especially the one who gets his head slammed repeatedly by Mel Gibson in the car door after Gibson finds his girlfriend drowned, would be another. And there is that general or sergeant in James Cameron's Avatar who wants to destroy home tree so he can get back in time to enjoy his supper.

For category A, most of the villains that I'm aware of in the Bhagavatam stories would qualify. They all seem to be reincarnations of devotees of Vishnu, which is the point, I suspect. But I've only read the ones translated by Amal Bhakta. It makes me wonder about my choices for category B.
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-02-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    @Dark Muse
    There is a splendid poem about Medusa by Carol Ann Duffy in her collection The World's Wife. She clearly feels as you do.
    I was going to post it but c&p doesn't work on this board. You can Google it though.
    Category A
    Satan Paradise Lost
    Category B.Iago from Othello
    Uriah Heep from David Copperfield
    That sounds interesting I will have to look it up!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Wilde woman View Post
    Category A:
    Bertha Mason from Jane Eyre (and no, not because of Wide Sargasso Sea)
    Lord Henry from Dorian Gray
    Oedipus
    Leontes from Winter's Tale (though he's arguably not a villain?)
    Grendel
    I wouldn't call Leontes a villain. He does genuinely seem to be jealous, even if there is no reason for it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast