Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    It scores 9.4 on IMBb.
    Actually, it's usually pretty hard to find a modern television show that doesn't score an 8/10 or higher on imdb. They aren't as reliable at rating television as movies, and even then the newer films skew substantially higher than they probably should.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Yes TV shows and recently released films are subject to over inflation, but even with this in mind 9.4 is still a very high mark. They are generally quite an accurate indication I find.

Yep, I'd go along with that. Obviously, results are a little skewed toward recent shows & movies, but overall, they are the most accurate indicator there is. Other than money, and the money says it's a winner as well.

One thing I really have found amazing about the show is the reaction by members of the public towards Anna Gunn. In her own words: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/op...ssue.html?_r=0
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm three episodes in, and it's rapidly shaping up to be one of my favourite shows. Utterly gripping.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Glad you are enjoying it. I watched the latest one the other day and only one left I think, stunning programme. I found myself watching some series two again last night as that is where my dad is up to. I'm totally lost without watching this now - warning you will be addicted!

Blog Entries
    Two episodes left to go for season one, and it just keeps getting better and better. The 'intervention' scene in the latest episode was utterly superb - I find myself hanging on every one of Walter's subtle facial movements and vocal mannerisms. Cranston really is giving a tour-de-force of acting ability.

Also, I've been unable to get this song from the first episode out of my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vRYfXJ7Rg
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Yes you are right, is face is a picture and you soon get to learn from the exact tone of his voice just how much he is spinning his lies and so forth. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that scene, I will flick back and look at that episode then the penny will drop. I'm guttered I've basically reached the end of this.

I didn't realise that so much of the music was original for the series, that's also pretty good. I like the Spanish stuff. There's a good one (quirky) opening series two, singing Mexicans that will not pass you by.

Independent article about episode 5 14 here, with the headline "Is Breaking Bad's ... the greatest TV episode ever written?" (Scores a perfect 10 on IMBD from 12, 000 votes):

MASSIVE SPOILER>>> So only read if you are up to date.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-8821985.html

Loka, read it in a few weeks...

Blog Entries
    I've watched the first series of BB and think what a fantastic plot. The guy is pretty much invisible to hid students and a seemingly passive Joe blow. Great pilot. Sucked me right in. Goddam show switched to a satellite channel I don'tsubsctibe to. But I love the age combo here, the health issues driving him and the clashes of worlds.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

That's a blow. I'm watching it on Netflix.

Blog Entries
    Just seen the last episode of season one. I very much admired the restraint shown by the creators - no explosive finale, but one that sets the scene and tone for Walt's future endeavours.

SPOLIER ALERT (if only a little one)!

I thought the last scene, and particularly the last few seconds, were superb - the look of quiet horror on Walt and Jesse's faces spoke volumes.

Yes I know what you mean, I've just flicked back to remind myself, great ending. Believe it or not though it only gets better from here!!

Blog Entries
    Just seen the season two finale - wow!

This really is astonishing. The single finest piece of television I have ever seen - Breaking Bad is a masterpiece (not a word to use lightly), and if (as I've been told) it just keeps getting better and better, then the first two series have set a very high bar.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Quite a bit has to do with Cranston's performance, but much more with the time the writers decided to devote to building up the characters. It's a rare thing on TV, and one that makes a lot of people think the story moves rather slowly. But the dramatic crescentos (just think about the bathtub falling through the ceiling in the first season) are so much more effective *because* of how deep we are allowed to see inside the characters.

Half way through the second season, enough to keep me going until season 2 of "House of Cards" comes out.
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Ha, ha, yes I am not alone in loving this then, I agree with masterpiece and it is the finest TV series I've ever seen too. Series three is probably my favourite of them all, though all are true quality.

Just watched the final episode this week. Will say nothing of course, but it will be some time before I watch a series as good as that, if at all. It is the complete package of writing and performance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast