Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    I loved Harry Potter when I was around 12-16. I constantly reread them.
    In this summer I tried to read a Harry Potter book in German. Turned out I could do it. I hadn't had the patience to finish other books in German as my German isn't very good because it is my second foreign language.
    Now I managed to buy one HP book in French (my third foreign language which I know even less than German). Again, I could read it.
    Now I just need to to get my hands over a HP book in, say, Latvian or Swahili - because if I can read them in those languages I know that reading HP in some language doesn't have anything to do with knowing or not knowing the language - then I just have learned the series by heart.
    Hey brilliant thought Tal! Thats how I will learn these languges I have to accquire in the next 3 years
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

8th wonder of the world
    Blog Entries
    Knowing the series by heart is a thing that shows your memory is well, but do you truly just want to over use it on this speck of literature. It isn't very well written, but the fact is still the fact.

JBI, sad to tell you, but you must live in a very literate area. After your post of stocks yesterday, I came to the central library branch, and was sad to find we only had 80 copies of P&P, with only 16 of them checked out. I went on to look at the Deathly Hollows, and was suprised to find nearly 500 copies, over a fourth of them checked out. Good books are falling through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Knowing the series by heart is a thing that shows your memory is well, but do you truly just want to over use it on this speck of literature. It isn't very well written, but the fact is still the fact.

JBI, sad to tell you, but you must live in a very literate area. After your post of stocks yesterday, I came to the central library branch, and was sad to find we only had 80 copies of P&P, with only 16 of them checked out. I went on to look at the Deathly Hollows, and was suprised to find nearly 500 copies, over a fourth of them checked out. Good books are falling through the cracks.
    I'm using the TPL statistics, which is all the libraries in the system around the GTA, comprising what I believe is the second busiest public library system, if Wiki is to be believed.

8th wonder of the world
    Blog Entries
    Ah. I simply headed to the central library downtown. Those are still bad statistics though.

Ah. I simply headed to the central library downtown. Those are still bad statistics though.
    Nah it means nothing - Deathly Hallows will be busy for a while yet - it was published last year. But wait until 5 years from now, or 200 years, as the case of Austen. She still, after all this time is one of the, if not the, supreme novelists in English.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries

I dont understand the anger here. The library is their to provide access to information & literature for the surrounding local community - what difference does it possibly make to you if people decide to use their leisure time reading Harry Potter?
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    I dont understand the anger here. The library is their to provide access to information & literature for the surrounding local community - what difference does it possibly make to you if people decide to use their leisure time reading Harry Potter?
    Nothing, I merely was pointing out the fluctuation in popularity and readership between book 1 and two, showing how readers stopped reading Potter as obsessively, as imagined, by showing the drastic difference in number of loans and copies of the last book than the first. The Library should stock Potter, I have no qualms about it, I was just trying to show that one the book was read, it was read, and left. Whereas other books on the other hand will continue to be read, though the so called Potter generation seems to be over, being that new readers aren't flocking in the same numbers.

The authors popularity depends on how many people at the current time are reading/discussing their work. I'm sure now, that the advertisement, and the mystery are over, academics will go on to completely ignoring the work, instead of half ignoring it, and students and readers will cease to read the books.

8th wonder of the world
    Blog Entries
    That sounds good. Well, despite the Potter fad finally over, we still do have to prove that a few of those people who didn't read mcuh must have gone on to better works.

Blog Entries
    Well that certainly is a lot of copies of the book JBI. We are lucky if we get ten copies of a new book here no matter who the author is

Quote Originally Posted by Joreads View Post
    Well that certainly is a lot of copies of the book JBI. We are lucky if we get ten copies of a new book here no matter who the author is
    This isn't one library - it's the entire Toronto library system which caters to millions of people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Hey brilliant thought Tal! Thats how I will learn these languges I have to accquire in the next 3 years
    Well you could try get a dutch one online but as for Latin, they sell them in one of the gift shops up by Hadrians Wall. My Friends Hein and Ine bought a couple of copies for their nieces who where currently studying latin in school back in belgium. They hoped by reading the book in Latin, it would incourage and help them to learn and progress with the language.
    I should really buy it in Irish, to refresh my memory. Either that or Artemis Fowl.
    I dont trust statistics.
    Nor wiki for that matter.(well most of the time)
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

8th wonder of the world
    Blog Entries
    Well Niamh, you should never trust Wiki 100% as we all know that it is all put up by people around the world, no matter how truthful they may be. Much research on their is not done very well, if not at all.

SO... just as an add-on, cite and check your sources my friends. But I believe JBI's is fairly close to right, if not spot-on.

A small matter completely different from this; I'm glad I've found a site with truly literate and intelligent people.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can never understand people who wont try the best sellers or chicklit because (they're) rubbish...

Perhaps... "because they are rubbish"?

there are no new stories the only real difference I have ever been able to see is that age the setting and the language and I suppose the cultural context. But a romance about 2 people who misunderstand each other is still a romance about 2 people who misunderstand each other whether it was written by Austen and has a grave black and gold leather cover or was written by Sandra Brown and has a jazzy bright pink cover with a couple falling all over each other.

And there's no difference between a painterly painting of a rural landscape by Monet and the same by Thomas Kinkade? Perhaps... just perhaps, now... there is more to literature than the story.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sure there may be some inconsistent parts or weak plots, but if we read a lot of any specific author's works (especially ones with recurring characters) we will find the same mistakes. Just look at Conan Doyle. As for its place in history, I can't imagine it becoming a great classic. It will probably fall into the same place as Madeleine L'engle's A Wrinkle in Time, great readable stories, but not The Count of Monte Cristo. Let's not over analyze this whole thing.

I will agree that some of the best classics have their flaws. Cervantes' poetry added to Don Quixote in not even mediocre... it is just plain awful. But this flaw is more than compensated for by strengths in other areas. The Harry Potter novels are simply mediocre all around. There are no aspects of phenomenal brilliance that in any way make me think it will survive as anything more than an example of a cultural phenomena... not unlike Jonathan Livingston Seagull or Peyton Place. Of course I could be wrong... they may survive as a minor "classic" such as the works of Arthur Conan Doyle or Alexandre Dumas... who in reality is far closer to the sort of phenomena represented by Rowling than he is to a true "classic". Hell, he didn't even write most of his own books, but rather farmed out plots to ghostwriters... some of whom were far greater writers than himself (such as Gerard de Nerval.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I will agree that some of the best classics have their flaws. Cervantes' poetry added to Don Quixote in not even mediocre... it is just plain awful. But this flaw is more than compensated for by strengths in other areas. The Harry Potter novels are simply mediocre all around. There are no aspects of phenomenal brilliance that in any way make me think it will survive as anything more than an example of a cultural phenomena... not unlike Jonathan Livingston Seagull or Peyton Place. Of course I could be wrong... they may survive as a minor "classic" such as the works of Arthur Conan Doyle or Alexandre Dumas... who in reality is far closer to the sort of phenomena represented by Rowling than he is to a true "classic". Hell, he didn't even write most of his own books, but rather farmed out plots to ghostwriters... some of whom were far greater writers than himself (such as Gerard de Nerval.
    Hmmm, except I know people who still read Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Also, we're still reading Dumas too. It seems to me the central question is whether we will still be reading Potter 30 years from now, a 100 years from now, 200, etc. I am not saying it will keep up the same numbers, but will it still maintain a steady stream of readers?

Even more interesting to this question might be not just to focus on children or the general adult reader, but will fantasy readers still be reading Potter alongside the likes of Tolkien 40 years from now?
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!