Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help Fast...please!!

sorry about the other questions i was working on that exam and i just started typing those insead

the bingley's wealth was accuired through a)farming b)trade c)manufacturing

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RobynLynne View Post
    1)the bingley's wealth was accuired through a) farming b) trade
    c)manufacturing

2)after darcy and wickham "changed colour" when they first see each other in meryton, elizabeth a)is curious about their behavior b)finds darcy more interesting c)thinks wickham has been unfair to darcy.

3)georgiana darcy is a minor character whose principal function is as a foil to a)elizabeth b)charolette C)lydia

4)while elizabeth attends the theater with the gardiners, her aunt wonders if wickham's attentions to Miss King, who has enherited 10,000, means that he is a)mercenary b)in love c)foolish
    I see you got some questions posted.
    I have to get offline.
    I have sent you an email.
    I will answer your questions tomorrow.
    I hope that is soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RobynLynne View Post
    1)the bingley's wealth was acquired through a) farming b) trade c)manufacturing
    ch 4-
    "They were rather handsome, had been educated in one of the first private seminaries in town, had a fortune of twenty thousand pounds, were in the habit of spending more than they ought, and of associating with people of rank; and were therefore in every respect entitled to think well of themselves, and meanly of others. They were of a respectable family in the north of England; a circumstance more deeply impressed on their memories than that their brother's fortune and their own had been acquired by trade."

This makes it all the more ironic the way the Bingley sisters disdain the Bennet's relatives for being involved in trade.

2)after darcy and wickham "changed colour" when they first see each other in meryton, elizabeth a)is curious about their behavior b)finds darcy more interesting c)thinks wickham has been unfair to darcy.
    ch 15-
    "...and Elizabeth happening to see the countenance of both as they looked at each other, was all astonishment at the effect of the meeting. Both changed colour, one looked white, the other red. Mr. Wickham, after a few moments, touched his hat -- a salutation which Mr. Darcy just deigned to return. What could be the meaning of it? -- It was impossible to imagine; it was impossible not to long to know."

3)georgiana darcy is a minor character whose principal function is as a foil to a)elizabeth b)charlotte C)lydia
    "A foil is a secondary character who contrasts with a major character and, in so doing, highlights various facets of the main character's personality. The author may use the foil to set up situations in which the protagonist can show his or her character traits." (wiki)

My problem is I don't see Georgiana as a foil to any of these.
    If it were not multiple choice, I would say she is a foil to Caroline Bingley!
    Perhaps the writer of this question feels that Georgiana is a foil to Lydia, since both of these young girls were seduced by Wickham, yet they are not very much like each other in any other way.
    Or perhaps, as the wiki definition suggests, she is a foil to the protagonist, Elizabeth, but I don't personally understand why. Other web pages suggest Elizabeth's foil is her sister, Jane.

One possible reason why Georgiana might be a foil for Elizabeth is at the end of the book, we learn that Elizabeth is not afraid to tease Darcy or stand up to him (after the marriage), whereas Georgiana would never do that.

4)while elizabeth attends the theater with the gardiners, her aunt wonders if wickham's attentions to Miss King, who has inherited 10,000, means that he is a)mercenary b)in love c)foolish
    ch 27-
    "Mrs. Gardiner then rallied her niece on Wickham's desertion, and complimented her on bearing it so well.

``But, my dear Elizabeth,'' she added, ``what sort of girl is Miss King? I should be sorry to think our friend mercenary.''"

dear sciencefan, you were very kind to persevere with this thread. But heavens sake why do you bother, did they read the book at all? These are incredibly simple questions that one read through of the book would be sufficient to glean these answers. One thing I have observed about this site is the amount of students that haven't done their reading and request answers for an assignment due very soon... It would be reasonable to assume there are many assignments handed in that contain your words plagiarized. Oh well!

however I must admit the question about Georgiana being a foil is a doozy! If foil means to contrast then I would say Elizabeth because they are like opposites. Where one is witty and of lively spirits the other is shy and timid. But you could make comparisons between many pairings so the question seems ambiguous , don't you think?
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    --Anais Nin

Yep, I think so too, that's a bit hard to answer, that question. But maybe it's a trick question or something?? More answers can be right?
    Each man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. - John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    however I must admit the question about Georgiana being a foil is a doozy! If foil means to contrast then I would say Elizabeth because they are like opposites. Where one is witty and of lively spirits the other is shy and timid. But you could make comparisons between many pairings so the question seems ambiguous , don't you think?
    Yes. I agree.
    That one is awful.
    It's a judgement call really.
    Not a very well-asked question, since all the answers are "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    dear sciencefan, you were very kind to persevere with this thread. But heavens sake why do you bother, did they read the book at all? These are incredibly simple questions that one read through of the book would be sufficient to glean these answers. One thing I have observed about this site is the amount of students that haven't done their reading and request answers for an assignment due very soon... It would be reasonable to assume there are many assignments handed in that contain your words plagiarized. Oh well!
    I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you.
    However, I was moved by the desperation of the cry.

I have since found out that this poor child has just got her entire senior year of English lit a few weeks ago- from the materials provider of her home-school ciriculum- which I cannot believe is any fault of her own.
    The college she has been accepted to has been kind enough to accept a late transcript of her graduation-
    And here she is, desperate to go to college in the fall, and not having sufficient time to read 6 books and answer all these questions.

I have avoided just giving RobynLynne the outright answers.
    Instead I have found the place in the book where the answer can be found, and I have copied and pasted the excerpts for her.
    I feel at least she will learn a little something that way.

I am doing the best I can to be helpful in a time of desperate need, without enabling any behavior that may have caused the problem in the first place.

As far as these being incredibly simple questions, some of them are, and some of them are not. Some are essay questions that she has emailed to me.

I read the book twice this winter, and watched over 20 hours of it on film, and I still am not sure of some of the answers, and I am 30 years this girl's senior.

She has a similar list of questions for
    Twelfth Night, My Antonia, The Moonstone, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and Pygmalion.

tough questions

Just to show you what a huge task this young lady is facing,
    here is the last set of questions.

*34) In what way are the characters Mrs. Bennet and Lady Catherine alike? Give an example of how they act similarly.

*35 A) briefly describe Darcy's personality.

*35 B) Give one example of how this character's speech reflects his personality.

*36) In the course of the novel, Elizabeth receives proposals of marriage from both Collins and Darcy.

A) how does each proposal reflect the pride of the man proposing?

B) give one example of how these proposals show differences in the personalities of the two characters.

*37)At Mrs. Philip's card party, Wickham tells Elizabeth that he "can never defy or expose" Darcy, even though he had just been criticizing him severely.

A) when Elizabeth first mentions Wickham to Darcy while they are dancing, how does Darcy respond?

B) how does his behavior compare to Wickham's?

*38) give two functions of the secondary character Colonel Fitzwilliam.

*39) the original title of Pride and Prejudice was First Impressions. Explain how the actions of Darcy and Wickham led Elizabeth to her false first impressions of them.
    Last edited by sciencefan; 07-31-2007 at 12:04 PM.

*36) In the course of the novel, Elizabeth receives proposals of marriage from both Collins and Darcy.

A) how does each proposal reflect the pride of the man proposing?
    Collins proposes in ch 19.
    Darcy proposes in ch 34.
    If you read each of the proposals, you should have enough information to answer these two questions.

B) give one example of how these proposals show differences in the personalities of the two characters.

*37)At Mrs. Philip's card party, Wickham tells Elizabeth that he "can never defy or expose" Darcy, even though he had just been criticizing him severely.

A) when Elizabeth first mentions Wickham to Darcy while they are dancing, how does Darcy respond?
    ch 18-
    "...``When you met us there the other day, we had just been forming a new acquaintance.'' [with Wickham]

The effect was immediate. A deeper shade of hauteur overspread his features, but he said not a word, and Elizabeth, though blaming herself for her own weakness, could not go on. At length Darcy spoke, and in a constrained manner said,

``Mr. Wickham is blessed with such happy manners as may ensure his making friends -- whether he may be equally capable of retaining them, is less certain.''

``He has been so unlucky as to lose your friendship,'' replied Elizabeth with emphasis, ``and in a manner which he is likely to suffer from all his life.''

Darcy made no answer, and seemed desirous of changing the subject."

B) how does his behavior compare to Wickham's?
    What Wickham said nearly fills all of chapter 16.

You should be able to read these two places and come up with a reasonable answer for these two questions.

*38) give two functions of the secondary character Colonel Fitzwilliam.

To tell the truth, I really don't know the answer to this question for certain.
    I like questions that can be right or wrong.
    I strongly dislike questions whose answers depend on people's opinions.

This website- http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/p...dprejudice.htm
    says this- "Colonel Fitzwilliam emerges as a trustworthy witness to the truth of Darcy's letter. Austen also uses Colonel Fitzwilliam to explore the problems of the younger son, for whom marriage is the only way to secure wealth."

http://www.gradesaver.com/classicnot.../charlist.html
    "Colonel Fitzwilliam: A cousin of Mr. Darcy and a pleasant and amiable gentleman, he is a companion to Elizabeth during her stay with the Collinses. Colonel Fitzwilliam tells Elizabeth that he must marry someone with a large fortune because he is the second son, the first case in the novel where a man's marriage choices are constrained by financial need."

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/...pageNum-6.html
    "Colonel Fitzwilliam Darcy’s well-mannered and pleasant cousin, who is interested in Elizabeth, but who needs to marry someone with money."

http://www.bookrags.com/notes/pap/CHR.html
    "Colonel Fitzwilliam: Col. Fitzwilliam is Darcy's cousin and also co-guardian of Miss Darcy, Darcy's little sister. Elizabeth likes the colonel because he is kind and enjoys her company without treating her with condescension, unlike Mr. Darcy."

He does serve as an interesting fountain of information that Eliz. would otherwise have had no access to.

It's up to your own judgment, Robyn, as to which direction you want to go with this question.
    There's some good input from the websites I quoted.
    Make sure you put things into your own words.
    Last edited by sciencefan; 07-31-2007 at 01:09 PM.

First impression of Darcy

*39) the original title of Pride and Prejudice was First Impressions.
    Explain how the actions of Darcy and Wickham led Elizabeth to her false first impressions of them.

These are the first impressions of not only Elliz., but also of her family and community:
    ch 3-
    "...Mr. Darcy soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien; and the report which was in general circulation within five minutes after his entrance, of his having ten thousand a year. The gentlemen pronounced him to be a fine figure of a man, the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which turned the tide of his popularity; for he was discovered to be proud, to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him from having a most forbidding, disagreeable countenance, and being unworthy to be compared with his friend."

"Mr. Darcy danced only once with Mrs. Hurst and once with Miss Bingley, declined being introduced to any other lady, and spent the rest of the evening in walking about the room, speaking occasionally to one of his own party. His character was decided. He was the proudest, most disagreeable man in the world, and every body hoped that he would never come there again."

"Mr. Darcy walked off; and Elizabeth remained with no very cordial feelings towards him. She told the story however with great spirit among her friends; for she had a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in any thing ridiculous."

"...the shocking rudeness of Mr. Darcy.

``But I can assure you,'' she added, ``that Lizzy does not lose much by not suiting his fancy; for he is a most disagreeable, horrid man, not at all worth pleasing. So high and so conceited that there was no enduring him! He walked here, and he walked there, fancying himself so very great!"

We only learn the truth about Mr. Darcy later on in the book when we hear the testimony of the housekeeper who has known him ever since he was a little boy. I put this here so you can see the difference between Darcy's true character, and what everyone perceived it to be at first.

[housekeeper speaking] "``I say no more than the truth, and what every body will say that knows him,'' replied the other. Elizabeth thought this was going pretty far; and she listened with increasing astonishment as the housekeeper added, ``I have never had a cross word from him in my life, and I have known him ever since he was four years old.''

This was praise, of all others most extraordinary, most opposite to her ideas. That he was not a good tempered man had been her firmest opinion. Her keenest attention was awakened; she longed to hear more, and was grateful to her uncle for saying,

``There are very few people of whom so much can be said. You are lucky in having such a master.''

``Yes, Sir, I know I am. If I was to go through the world, I could not meet with a better. But I have always observed that they who are good-natured when children are good-natured when they grow up; and he was always the sweetest-tempered, most generous-hearted, boy in the world.''

Elizabeth almost stared at her. -- ``Can this be Mr. Darcy!'' thought she.

``His father was an excellent man,'' said Mrs. Gardiner.

``Yes, Ma'am, that he was indeed; and his son will be just like him -- just as affable to the poor.''

Elizabeth listened, wondered, doubted, and was impatient for more. Mrs. Reynolds could interest her on no other point. She related the subject of the pictures, the dimensions of the rooms, and the price of the furniture, in vain. Mr. Gardiner, highly amused by the kind of family prejudice to which he attributed her excessive commendation of her master, soon led again to the subject; and she dwelt with energy on his many merits, as they proceeded together up the great staircase.

``He is the best landlord, and the best master,'' said she, ``that ever lived. Not like the wild young men now-a-days, who think of nothing but themselves. There is not one of his tenants or servants but what will give him a good name. Some people call him proud; but I am sure I never saw any thing of it. To my fancy, it is only because he does not rattle away like other young men.''

``In what an amiable light does this place him!'' thought Elizabeth."
    Last edited by sciencefan; 07-31-2007 at 01:42 PM.

First impression of Wickham

*39) the original title of Pride and Prejudice was First Impressions.
    Explain how the actions of Darcy and Wickham led Elizabeth to her false first impressions of them.

ch 15-
    "But the attention of every lady was soon caught by a young man, whom they had never seen before, of most gentlemanlike appearance..."

"His appearance was greatly in his favour; he had all the best part of beauty -- a fine countenance, a good figure, and very pleasing address. The introduction was followed up on his side by a happy readiness of conversation -- a readiness at the same time perfectly correct and unassuming..."

ch 16-
    "Mr. Wickham was as far beyond them all in person, countenance, air, and walk..."

"...the agreeable manner in which he immediately fell into conversation, though it was only on its being a wet night, and on the probability of a rainy season, made her feel that the commonest, dullest, most threadbare topic might be rendered interesting by the skill of the speaker."

"Mr. Wickham began to speak on more general topics, Meryton, the neighbourhood, the society, appearing highly pleased with all that he had yet seen, and speaking of the latter especially, with gentle but very intelligible gallantry."

"...his manners recommended him to every body. Whatever he said, was said well; and whatever he did, done gracefully."

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Has anybody told you today how wonderful you are, sciencefan?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Has anybody told you today how wonderful you are, sciencefan?
    Thank you very kindly.
    You're a sweetheart.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast