Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite book?

Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh. His prose is beautiful and he is funnier than P G Wodehouse.

Not far behind would be:
    The Tempest
    Aldous Huxley's Chrome Yellow
    Robert Graves: Goodbye to all that

I think there is also a beautiful book which is called Lord of The Flies

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar
    Overall favorite probably the Castle (Kafka). But now days i prefer reading De Maupassant

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Overall favorite probably the Castle (Kafka). But now days i prefer reading De Maupassant
    Kafka is one small step for man while Maupassant is one giant leap for mankind.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar
    Well De Maupassant was a lot more human, and less symbolic Both writers were clearly very intelligent, but Kafka was

1) insane (De Maupassant became insane later on too, but it was a different kind of insanity)

2) a writer possibly of complete allegories. By which i mean that everything seems to be symbolic in his work.

3) self-destructive. He ended up killing himself with his self-reproaches and endless echoing of self-hatred.

I read Kafka for more than a decade, on a daily basis, and i can say that for me now he is still one of the most intelligent writers ever, and a massively innovative writer, but De Maupassant (of the sane phase) is simply a lot more logical and presents one with the surface of things as well as the depth of them

my favorite book

my favorite book is sherlock holmes

Quote Originally Posted by HAN View Post
    my favorite book is sherlock holmes
    Well I don't think there is a book called Sherlock Holmes if you mean the one created by Arthur Conan Doyle but there are a number of novels in which he is the central character: such as, The Sign of Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles etc. Then there are short stories in The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes etc.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how I could possibly answer this question. Its like picking a favourite parent but somehow having dozens of parents.

100 years of solitude, Heart of Darkness, The Red and the Black, and The Plague. That's as far as I can narrow it down to and I doubt I'll agree with that narrowing tomorrow.

"Five Points Someone" by Chetan Bagat

It is awesome book
    A Clever Signature

Good books were written in past

My favorite decadent book is Joris-Karl Huysmanns' Against Nature (Au Rebours). My favorite modernist book is Celine's Death on the Installment Plan (Mort au Credit). My favorite decadent-historical novel is Flaubert's Salammbo. My favorite philosophical book is Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. My favorite science fiction book is Leguin's The Dispossessed. My favorite children's book is Thurber's The Thirteen Clocks. My favorite religious books are Lao-Tzu's Tao-Te-Ching and Chuang-Tzu's book.

My current favorite novel is William Gaddis's The Recognitions, though I might easily have chosen any of Dostoyevsky's major novels or Infinite Jest or Cormac McCarthy's Suttree. The Recognitions has nearly inexhaustible depth and complexity; on the third reading I was still recognizing numerous connections and internal allusions that just went over my head the first two times through. It is also a profound meditation on authenticity and originality in art, subjects that are important to me in everyday life. It's also side-splittingly funny!

every book is very good if you can stand reading it!

Blog Entries
    I can't decide between Of Human Bondage and The Grapes of Wrath.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I can't decide between Of Human Bondage and The Grapes of Wrath.
    The Grapes of Wrath is on my list to read in a few weeks. I can't wait to tell you what I think of it! I do love Steinbeck and read more of him when I was young.