Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Must.Not.Comment*

Blog Entries

*Must.Not.Comment*

Do you ever get that urge? You know you want to say something, but you know it'll do no good? What do you do? Post anyway? Or hold your tongue?

I had this feeling a few minutes ago. I chose to hold my tongue, as I have done many times and sometimes should have done. Initially this makes me feel aggravated yet after a while that feeling fades and I accept my decision.

So what do you do?
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I post, but I usually regret it. Most of the time I type up a huge rant and then delete it. I’m curious what you held your tongue over

Blog Entries
    Generally I shut up and stew in silence for a few minutes, then forget about it upon seeing something shiny. Wonder what you restrained from commenting on.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Blog Entries
    I end up holding my tongue. You have us curious though
    What Are You Crazy!!!

Blog Entries
    I can't really tell now can I? I'll give you all a hint: It was something I very much disagree with.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I often get this in real life. Not so much because I disagree with people, but because I can be very cheeky and like to tease people I don't like. Seeing as I also like to tease people I like, the ones I don't like often misunderstand my comments. So I've learned to hold my tongue.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AimusSage View Post
    Do you ever get that urge?
    Yep, all the time, and the standard procedure is that I post anyway

As far as I am concerned, this is the case not only here, but in general: Over the years, I have written lots of letters to the editor to local and not so local rags, as well as the odd conversation with people elected to public office and others "in charge". In short, I am definitely not renowned for keeping my tongue.

Then, of course, there is the question of how you express your opinion: Screaming blue murder seldom produces any worthwhile results, so I usually try to complicate matters by dragging facts, and when it fits, a bit of humour into the discussion. It works for me...

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I get that urge a lot. In real life 99% of the times i speak my mind and become unpleasant (that has gotten me quite the reputation of being austere)..in the internet i hold my tongue most of the times
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Blog Entries
    I feel that way often. So then I go into one of the "What are you thinking now" or "leave an anonymous message" or "vent your anger here" type threads, and vent away

There are several factors:

1) Who I'm agruing with,
    2) What is the arguement
    3) How I feel at the moment

and most importantly:

4) How much time I want to spend in the arguement
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    This is such a stupid thread! Why are you people talking about things like this? Are you all silly or what! This thread makes me sooooo mad! I just can't hold myself back at threads like this.
    Berks.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Blog Entries
    On a second thought, I shouldn't have posted it.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Tal with your post you make the point which came to my mind... why get concerned about it? If I spend time away from Lit-net it makes me appreciate how wonderful this site really is. I have zero desire to argue on here.

Blog Entries
    You know what Taliesin! I don't care about what you just said there anyway, I thought it was without substance and quite pointless! j/k

It's usually one particular subject that I avoid, as it has a tendency to make somewhat reasonable people completely unreasonable. Not always though, but it is always a circular argument and I can't be arsed with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    This is such a stupid thread! Why are you people talking about things like this? Are you all silly or what! This thread makes me sooooo mad! I just can't hold myself back at threads like this.
    Berks.
    hahahahaha

good one

as for the thread topic, like some of you expressed already, I feel this way a lot as well. I usually hold my words back, mostly because I lack the energy and patience to sit and write out a meticulous response. In real life I tend to speak my mind and get into trouble for it as well.. I can be quite forceful in my language, maybe condescending, and quite passionate, which usually ends up backfiring on me. I really need to learn how to be more diplomatic, especially since I plan on being a diplomat one day...
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast