Thread: The Place of no Darkness

The Place of no Darkness

I understand that in the begining of the book Orwell wants the readers to think that the "Place of no Darkness" is the future. But has anybody stopped to consider the fact that the future always truns into the present so is there really a future?

Plus there is a side of me that expect the "Place of no Darkness" to be a heaven in a sense. (Even though there is no organized religion.)

I can't help but ponder the existences of the "Place of no Darkness" is it real and if it is what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterGirl0502 View Post
    I understand that in the begining of the book Orwell wants the readers to think that the "Place of no Darkness" is the future. But has anybody stopped to consider the fact that the future always truns into the present so is there really a future?

Plus there is a side of me that expect the "Place of no Darkness" to be a heaven in a sense. (Even though there is no organized religion.)

I can't help but ponder the existences of the "Place of no Darkness" is it real and if it is what is it?

No organized religion in Orwell's book? That's of what there is the most.

Yes but there is organized religion toward and foe the government but not for a "God"

Atheism is a form of organized religion against a God.

There is never any statement of what religion they are. They are so ignorent they do not know there choices. (Weather to believe in a god or not.)

iirc, the place of no darkness is the Ministry of Love where Winston is imprisoned and tortured. They never turn the lights out.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    iirc, the place of no darkness is the Ministry of Love where Winston is imprisoned and tortured. They never turn the lights out.
    Thank you. I have finally reached that part of the book and it makes a lot more sense now. But how would O'Brian know what it like there? Has he been there before?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterGirl0502 View Post
    Thank you. I have finally reached that part of the book and it makes a lot more sense now. But how would O'Brian know what it like there? Has he been there before?
    Keep reading and you'll find out! No spoilers here!

But also a few other things:

1. The future is very existent!!
    2. Later on in the book, Winston will reveal that he does not believe in a God, and therefore is Atheist.
    3. Being Atheist does not automatically classify you as being
      Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
      against a god
    4. "The place of no darkness" may have religious translations but I think it's very unlikely that Orwell would reference it to heaven because Orwell shamelessly was not a religious man!

That's all for now!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Everybody wants to change the world, everybody wants to change the world, but no one, no one wants to die!"