Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: From My Bookshelves

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I have several books by Jan Gillou: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Guillou

Three of these are fictionalised accounts of the Knights Templar, g
    together called The Crusades Trilogy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades_trilogy.

There is also one book on witchcraft "Häxornas Försvarvare: en historiskt reportage" This is not in Wikipedia, but I found it in his own company -Piratförlaget: http://www.piratforlaget.se/bocker/h...skt-reportage/

I have a classic history of Stockholm, in 5 volumes by Per Anders Fogelström. It is in Swedish and traces the rise of the city of Stockholm from its small and poor origins to today's bustling metropolis. This transformation took place in just 100 years (from 1860 to 1968, and is well worth reading.

Finally, I have a series of 4 books (in English) about the settlement of Swedish emigrants to America by Vilhelm Moberg:
    The Emigrants
    Unto a Good Land
    The Settlers
    Last Letter Home

Swedish emigrants to America settled in what would become the state of Minnesota, a state where the geography and climate were rather like that in Sweden. Moberg envisaged "America" as being, (in Swedish) "mer rika" (more rich!). Kerstin and I went there on 1-year visas at the start of my career to do a Ph.D. but only stayed for 1 year. I returned to Sweden when I learned there would no symbolic interactionist courses after the first year. Even today there are many who have Swedish surnames: Theodore Anderson, George Bohnstedt were both professors. Don Martindale wrote a book about this disastrous period in Minnesota Sociology "The Romance of a Profession: a case history in the sociology of Sociology".Much later I wrote a wordpress blog, where I put all my symbolic interactionist work. In its time it was my most successful blog.

I am just wondering what drove swedish to emigrate to the states?
    and whatever happened to the swedish language whilst they settled there?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Poverty, and a series of bad harvests. All in the mid-1800.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I am just wondering what drove swedish to emigrate to the states?
    and whatever happened to the swedish language whilst they settled there?
    As DW said, many Swedes settled in the northern Midwest, especially in Minnesota--a stunningly beautifully state but a too cold for many of us. There are still many Swedes there. They speak English, but sometimes with the least trace of an accent. The Coen Brothers movie Fargo is about this community. Some of the actors do the accent rather well (Ya? Ya!). There were plenty of Swedes in other areas, too.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-05-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    As DW said, many Swedes settled in the northern Midwest, especially in Minnesota--a stunningly beautifully state but a too cold for many of us. There are still many Swedes there. They speak English, but sometimes with the least trace of an accent. The Coen Brothers movie Fargo is about this community. Some of the actors do the accent rather well (Ya? Ya!). There were plenty of Swedes in other areas, too.
    thanks for that Pompey it just makes think that language tend to disappear as a result of migration.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    thanks for that Pompey it just makes think that language tend to disappear as a result of migration.
    I guess if we all migrated here and there we would eventually come to lose one thing and that is language.
    languages suffer as a result.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I would add to that: a very stony ground in Sweden. And by "stoney" I mean huge rocks buried in the soil, brought down during the last ice age from the Arctic. They needed to be dug up to make the soil tillable. Very exhausting work, it is a long-term project to bring the soil into cultivation. They would find that the Minnesotan soil was clear of these rocks down to some 3 feet at least, so excellent tilling soil.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789