Thread: Anton Chekhov

Anton Chekhov

Long time a go I red a short story for Anton Chekhov, it is about two young and poor wife and husband, the wife was wearing a necklace, and they met an expert jewelries, the husband asked him about his wife necklace, the wife discomforted, when the jeweler was checking the necklace, and he noticed that so he smiled and said “that is a perfect artificial diamonds necklace”.
    Anyone help me find the title of this short story, thanks.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    That reminded me of 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant:
    http://www.online-literature.com/sho...the%20necklace

*edit*

Hah! Look at that:
    http://www.online-literature.com/sho...=the%20darling

and that:
    http://www.megaessays.com/viewpaper/106326.html

Had no idea!
    Thanks for that!

*is pleased in a geekish way*
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 12-15-2004 at 10:15 AM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I recently read a few of Chekhov's short stories. My favorite one is entitled, "The wager" (or "The bet").
    4.112 Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of
    doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations.
    Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of
    propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is
    to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.

(Tractatus Logico Philosophicus; Wittgenstein)

I think I haven't read Chekhov's "The darling", but remember Maupassant's "The necklace" quite well. It's most sad story I have ever read.

"The House with the Mezzanine" and "My life" (if I remember the title correctly) is my favorites among Chekhov's stories.

Quote Originally Posted by caspian View Post
    I think I haven't read Chekhov's "The darling", but remember Maupassant's "The necklace" quite well. It's most sad story I have ever read.

"The House with the Mezzanine" and "My life" (if I remember the title correctly) is my favorites among Chekhov's stories.
    Is that the one where the woman borrows the necklace and then loses it and spends years paying back money? That's really sad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    Is that the one where the woman borrows the necklace and then loses it and spends years paying back money? That's really sad.
    That'snot by chekhov, that's by guy maupassant. Perhaps Chekhov did a different version?

I've never understood why 'The lady and the dog' is his most famous story, it's nowhere near one of my favourites.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Quote Originally Posted by Majid View Post
    Anyone help me find the title of this short story, thanks.
    I've read a few Chekhov stories, but I don't remember that one. "The Chorus Girl" is the only story that I can even remember that uses jewelry prominently. Of course, that doesn't mean there is no such story with a faux necklace. Chekhov wrote hundreds of short stories, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find one like you describe. Lit Net has a large cache of Chekhov stories so you might look there. Is there any way to search that database? If so, you could just search for "necklace" in the Chekhov stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    That reminded me of 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant:
    http://www.online-literature.com/sho...the%20necklace
    Yeah, what Majid describes is sort of like Maupassants "The Necklace," but not quite. "The Necklace" is about a couple who borrow a necklace and then lose it. They don't bring it to a jeweler.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Is it in "The Darling?" I don't remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW-Guy View Post
    I recently read a few of Chekhov's short stories. My favorite one is entitled, "The wager" (or "The bet").
    "The Wager" is a fun read. I like all the twists and turns in the story. For seven pages, it's got quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by caspian View Post
    "The House with the Mezzanine" is under-rated, I think. You don't see it anthologized much, but I thought about reading it for the Chekhov Short Story Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post
    I've never understood why 'The lady and the dog' is his most famous story, it's nowhere near one of my favourites.
    Chekhov became known for his ambiguity, and "The Lady with the Dog" is certainly ambiguous. That's largely how the story became so famous. It's still a good story, but, no, I wouldn't say it's my favorite either. I like "Sleepy," "About Love," and "In the Ravine" much better.
    Last edited by Quark; 05-19-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

I love Chekhov's short stories. Rothschild's Fiddle is probably my favorite.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I was planing on posting a question about Chekhov, because i have never read him but am quite curious because i have heard many good things.

does anyone have any recommendations by chekhov, and perhaps why they would recommend that title in particular and a quick blurb synopsis