View Poll Results: Will we ever live in a society without religion?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, in some centuries from now.

10 27.03%
  • Nope, religion is everlasting

12 32.43%
  • I have no idea.

7 18.92%
  • There will be new religions

9 24.32%
  • the world will be destroyed before that happens

6 16.22%
  • dude, who cares?!

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will we ever live in a religionless society?

Blog Entries

Will we ever live in a religionless society?

♥ Everybody seems to believe in something, however not as much as they did 200 years ago. Belief in religion is steadily declining. which leads to the question, will we ever live in a society without religion?
    Shall these bones live?

Blog Entries
    I know this sounds bleak, but there will be a time when everything will be destroyed and contorted to the point that we can't identify it as religion. Religion will become a lore, and complete celebration of materialism will reign as the new "in" thing. That will sort of be near to our physical world's end...But it's going to be a while from now. It's really scary sometimes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazefest456 View Post
    I know this sounds bleak, but there will be a time when everything will be destroyed and contorted to the point that we can't identify it as religion. Religion will become a lore, and complete celebration of materialism will reign as the new "in" thing. That will sort of be near to our physical world's end...But it's going to be a while from now. It's really scary sometimes.
    strange. I thought everything was already pretty distorted. But your approximation sounds pretty realistic and matches with what is happening right now.
    Shall these bones live?

Blog Entries
    I sort of feel organized religion has to come to an end. Personal belief in an other worldly diety may continue but I think organized religions will either die out or destroy the world.
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by TEND View Post
    I sort of feel organized religion has to come to an end. Personal belief in an other worldly diety may continue but I think organized religions will either die out or destroy the world.
    Amen!

Sorry I suppose my amen is not very welcome in some quarters.... no offence intended people. I agree that many people (especially in Western cultures) are looking beyond organised religion but I don't think religion (including organised religion) would disappear. Fundamentally, human beings like to look/consider things that are beyond us (or the sphere that we are in).

In my personal opinion relgion today is mankind clutching onto its training wheels of earlier times, and eventually we all will learn to deal with life for what its bleak existance really is, and people will stop telling me "Oh just wait until God talks to you, then you'll come crying to us"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay12513 View Post
    In my personal opinion relgion today is mankind clutching onto its training wheels of earlier times, and eventually we all will learn to deal with life for what its bleak existance really is, and people will stop telling me "Oh just wait until God talks to you, then you'll come crying to us"
    so true.

Seriously, the day any deity happens to talk to me, I'll drive myself to Bedlam.
    Shall these bones live?

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    It has always been my dream to live in a society without religion. For me, religion creates boundaries between people and adds up to our daily burdens. The misunderstandings between different religions often cause disputes. Also, religions tend to prejudice one another and speak against other religions. With one unified religion, perhaps we could do a lot better--one unified religion with only two principles: Believe in God and Do Good (which means not causing hurt, pain, or grief to others and respecting them as you would respect your Creator and yourself.)
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Oh there will be a world with no bothersome religions. It's called "Hell". A nation that forgets God shall be turned into hell...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    I think the question is broader than will people always believe in God. There are many religions that do not necessarily believe in God. This made me think of Our Great Ford and the giant Ts in Brave New World. No God, but still Religion.

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Oh there will be a world with no bothersome religions. It's called "Hell". A nation that forgets God shall be turned into hell...
    But my dear Pen, it was God, or some of his acolytes, who invented hell, and who are still busy consigning to hell everyone who doesn't follow the same dance steps.

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
    ♥ Everybody seems to believe in something, however not as much as they did 200 years ago. Belief in religion is steadily declining. which leads to the question, will we ever live in a society without religion?
    The Answer is No.

If we go by history of religions - The Power of Organised Religion will certainly will go up and down.

The Reason why it will stay is that Humans Will Always Yearn for a Ultimate Meaning in Life...
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Will we ever live in a religionless society?

I believe that we will..i can't really say why i believe this, though.
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Alive In Our Hearts mercy_mankind's Avatar
    That is my answer:
    Nope, religion is everlasting .

The Power of Organised Religion will certainly will go up and down.
    I agree with that , but it doesn't mean that religion has an end , because Allah ""created"" In every time people know the truth and worship Him,
    Earth without Religion will be Just like Hell.

It's called "Hell".

Perhaps, although people have always wanted to believe in something. I am a Christian, although hardly religious. There are parts in my life that I have found help by my personal relationship with God, praying, meditation. I would like to see a world free from religious prejudices. And priests. I believe in Christ's teachings. Do priests believe in His? Hardly...That's why I think that perhaps a world without religions would be a better place...

Quote Originally Posted by RoCKiTcZa View Post
    It has always been my dream to live in a society without religion. For me, religion creates boundaries between people and adds up to our daily burdens. The misunderstandings between different religions often cause disputes. Also, religions tend to prejudice one another and speak against other religions. With one unified religion, perhaps we could do a lot better--one unified religion with only two principles: Believe in God and Do Good (which means not causing hurt, pain, or grief to others and respecting them as you would respect your Creator and yourself.)

Couldn't say it better!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast